The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Imagination by Michael Murray (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Available from:

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/shop.php/shop......660.html

As a proud carrier of Michael's "Sleuth" card, I could'nt wait to get a copy of Imagination. Knowing the thought that went into "Sleuth", and the rediculous high number of times I whip it out to demonstrate my amazing ability to influence, I was sure Michael's latest creation would be well worth looking at.

To summarise the effect:

A spectator is asked to participate in your own interpretation of a classic Uri Geller effect, a design duplication. You demonstrate how you clearly predicted a thought of image. OK, so your prediction wasn't 100% accurate. Instead the envelope is labelled with 12 different images, you were bound to get pretty close. This is where it really takes off. The spectator, sight unseen, removes a card with their (still only thought of) image drawn on, and seals it inside a small black envelope. THIS ENVELOPE IS 100%, TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY OPAQUE. No matter how hard they inspect the envelope or card, there is nothing to find. There is truly no way that you could see which of the cards they had sealed inside. All of the other cards are hidden out of sight. In my eyes, this is as close to test conditions as I could possibly expect. You then go on, in the cleanest way possible, to divine their thought of image.

I have been lucky enough to see Michael perform this effect a number of times, to a wide-range of people (both experienced mentalists and layfolk alike), and witnessed their response first hand. However, I wanted to withhold my review until I had been able to perform this myself.

Over the past fortnight, I have performed imagination perhaps two dozen times, and received great reactions every time. Even to the most astute observer, there is no possible way you could know which card had been placed inside the envelope. I revelled in it when a particularly frustrating spectator snatched the envelope and scruitinised it for a good five minutes before giving up, safe in the knowledge that there was nothing to find.

I'm fantastically pleased with imagination. I will be looking to see if Michael can supply me with another of the special something to put my own little spin on this effect.

Straight out of the packet, you receive a well-polished routine, that the beginner could master, or the expert could really tailor to suit their own performance style.

As the website copy states, there truly are no peeks. At no point could a spectator "see" how exactly you are divining which card is inside the envelope.

The only apologies I have to offer go to the expensive yet fantastic peek wallet that now lies redundant, replaced by a small black envelope and set of business card stock. Imagination let's me do my favourite design duplication effect, with no worry that the nosy spectator over my shoulder is getting the same peek that I am.

I personally can't wait to see what other effects Mr Murray has in the pipeline; Imagination, along with Sleuth, already form the cornerstone of my informal performances, and allow me to grin inside whilst performing.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
Thanks for the review. I ordered Imagination last week and am expecting it to arrive any day. I will add my thoughts after it has arrived and I have tried it out on my teenage son. With bookings for the coming monthas starting to add up, an extra worker will come in handy and this sounds like something that might play accross a variety of age groups. I too ordered this because of my admiration for Sleuth. I am expecting that mine will be but one of many positive reviews yet to come on Imagination.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2569 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Having played about with this effect, I have come up with an alternative handling. I will be willing to share (by a pm) but only to those who can prove they have the effect.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
I love this, although I have already come up with my own version instead of using the provided images, but I am getting another set to use those too. I want the choice.
It is brilliant.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Within the next few months I'll be releasing a multi staged routine using photographs displaying various emotions titled "Resonance"! The last stage will utilize the same principle as Imagination.

I just need to finish off making the last of the 250 Imaginations first.

Psychicturtle has shared his idea for customizing the effect which is great! The beauty of this is that it can be taken in so many directions.

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Pan!
View Profile
New user
Germany
7 Posts

Profile of Pan!
This really sounds interesting!

I have a question about the handling to those who already use this effect. The description says that the spectator chooses one of the 12 pictures, places it into the black envelope and puts the others out of sight. But what does the performer have to do with the black envelope to know what image was selected? Does he have to hold onto it for some time, does he have to touch it quickly, does he only have to get a look at it or can it be placed out of sight too?

Thanks
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2569 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Without giving too much away, the envelope containing the freely chosen card remains in sight. However the suggested patter and routine disguise the necessary in a very clever way. I would be surprised if anyone sussed how the effect is achieved.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Does the spectator usually suspect the black envelope is visible? If so, does it lessen the impact of this effect? Or is the spectator eventually convinced after his or her initial thoughts that the black envelope, in fact, could not possibly reveal the identity of the card? It seems like it's examinable, but some spectators still insist that something was done with the envelope even though they can't prove it...I guess I'm just a bit picky when it comes to the spectator suspecting something, as mentioned in the intial post...I don't own this effect so I want thoughts from owners before I purchase, thanks!

Regards,
Mike
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Mike, forget you're magician , you'll see, you'll be a better performer Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of celebrity
The envelope is placed onto the table by the spectator after they have placed a card within.

The envelope is visable to the performer but is not picked up. The body language reading you give justifies this as part of the routine.

The lay audience members I've shown it to (to the best of my knowledge) have all accepted that I was able to read their body language.

Although they would be welcome to examine everything as closley as possible no one has ever asked me (other than magicians Smile )

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2569 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I fully echo what Michael has just said. Everything looks so above board and fair and with the spectator freely handling both the cards and envelope.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
I can vouch for what the esteemed gentlemen above are saying. I don't believe that the method would ever be suspected here.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Got this today. So much happier than I was with Sleuth.

This is one I will certainly be performing.
Sleuth I won't

Steve
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
I have an idea that changes one part of the operation ,PM if interested ( NB it will only make sense to owners BTW ..)
Mark
E.O.I
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Ok guys , maybe that thought has occured to most of you .My apologies , but it shows what good thinkers tread this board .
Regards Mark
E.O.I
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
For those of you that have this, and also MD from Craig Filicetti.
I have come up with a nice combination (I think it's nice)

Make the drawings on the card in gold as suggested.
Once they have made their selection and put it in the envelope, explain that you only had a god pen available when you made the drawings.

You ask them to silently pick which colour they think it should have been drawn in, using Craigs' colour cube (if you only have the die allocate a colour to each number)
Now you can duplicate the drawing in the chosen colour. A double whammy!!

Steve
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Re. the above post.
If doing your drawing dupe on paper, make sure to have 1 coloured sheet and a piece of chalk handy in case they choose white on the MD

Similarly, if doing the dupe on a slate, then a piece of paper and black marker should be close at hand in case they choose black on the MD
Either that, or rub the chalk sideways across the whole board coating it in a fine coat of white. Then lick your finger and make the dupe. Which is now in black.

Steve
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
Let me begin by stating that Imagination is a wonderful effect that uses a method with which most will be unfamiliar. You can accurately identify one of 12 business sized cards chosen and placed in a small black envelope. The spec will never figure this one out and it is repeatable with different outcomes. You can use the stickers supplied or make up whatever you want as a means of identifying each of the 12 cards.

I want to say something about the customer service at Magicbox and Michael Murray specifically. I asked for extra stickers and received them without question. In most cases, they are not necessary as the ones supplied are sufficient. I wanted them because my art work is poor and I wanted a sticker on two cross corners of each card with gold lettering in the middle. Most of you will likely draw or design your own pictures on the cards.

The reason that I did not post a review sooner is that a necessary accessory was not ideal for me. I altered it in a way that would work better for me and have been using Imagionation without any difficulty. Upon hearing that my ****** was not ideal for my own purposes, MM and Magicbox sent me two different ones at their own expense. Today, I received them and am toying around with ways to make Imagination even better.

I have been extremely pleased with anything I have ordered from Magicbox and MM including Imagination and Sleuth. I also have another MM effect, Between the Lines which is also first rate material. All of these are inexpensively priced for the value delivered. The customer service, as I have just explained, is top class, as good or better than any I have encountered in this business.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Another winner Michael.

y I mannnnnnnnnnn.lol

Best

John
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
With a little thought it could be extended to a choice of 24 items.
Mark
E.O.I
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Imagination by Michael Murray (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL