The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Egg Laying Frequency » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
How often will doves lay eggs? I know that may be a trick question, but I am trying to determine the gender of my doves.

I have a pair of doves that I do not want to raise any birds from. They are young, and 1 of them layed 2 eggs for the first time about 11-12 days ago. I immediatly removed the eggs from their cage. Well, I found another egg in the cage yesterday. This means that, if the same dove layed it, it would have been in about 10-11 days.

Is this common? If the eggs are removed how long is it before a dove will lay again?

Thanks!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5195 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Regan, doves love to lay eggs. As soon as you remove them, they will start working on new ones. During the prime laying season which we are really getting into now, it is not uncommon for them to lay more right away.

There are some solutions since you don't want them to lay eggs. In most pet shops and even in some craft stores, you can purchase small articial eggs. They are just about the same size as a real egg. Just put two of them in the nest and you can be 95% sure you will not get any new eggs.

That also means however, that your doves will sit on them just as they would a real egg. The problem is that they don't get the excercise they need. They become "nest potatoes" and just sit.

There is nothing wrong with letting them lay the eggs and taking them out of the nest right away. You just have to be careful when you use the female, that she isn't about ready to lay the clutch. You don't want to break an egg inside her. Knowing when that time is just comes with experience and knowing your dove.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thnak you Dave. I was on the right track, but it is great to have confirmation from an expert. I was comparing doves to chickens in figuring they might lay pretty quickly.

This is good to know, and now I am still unsure of the gender of these 2 birds. At least it does confirm that 1 may be a male. That is what I have suspected all along, but I am just looking for some way to make sure.

Thanks my friend!

Regan
Mister Mystery
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
Having birds myself the best way to ward off egg laying is covering cages at night and leaving a night light on at night for them! my friends african grey parrot is 15 yrs old and hasnt laid 1 egg by this method! I am waiting to see if it works with my little girl!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5195 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jo, seriously, this has nothing to do with the egg laying process. If you cover the cage, the only thing that will happen is the doves will go to sleep. If you really want to stiffle the egg laying process, buy some imitation eggs and leave them in the nest. The female dove will not lay more eggs as long as she has eggs already.

I don't know anything about you friends bird but did you ever stop to think that it might be a male bird? I have some friends that have doves that never lay eggs. It's just the way they are.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20533 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

The length of daylight in a day will also promote egg production.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- With three new eggs in less than a week, my guess is that you have two females in that cage.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
My friends bird was DNA confirmed female and if you read on the internet that LIGHT at night and cage covered with no nest boxes delays the egg laying process and sometimes prevent the egg laying!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5195 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jo, as Bob said, the length of daylight will promote egg laying. If you provide a light, whether night light or regular light, you are not delaying the process but actually enhancing it.

Fake eggs in the nest is the way to go if you don't want any eggs to be laid. The other alternative is to simply throw the new eggs away once they are laid.
Where the magic begins
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
A little night light so the bird doesn't get spooked by shadows at night while its covered! and MAKING sure the bird gets 12+ hrs of sleep is also a recommended way to keep bird happy and delay even prevent egg laying! my little critters are up at 6am and into bed by 5pm no matter what... And where they are at, the room changes with lighting constantly! they Never have nesting boxes. they get their fruits and veggies all the time! And these methods was told to me by my vet and breeders!
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Another thing that I have found is were you keep them.

For several years my mated pair stayed indoors. Once the first clutch was laid and removed it was like clockwork, through out much the year,

I now have them outside and there is only 3-5 sets laid during the year.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
If my girl doesn't lay eggs I'd be sooo happy! but with my luck it may come to egg laying LOL. Egg laying scares me to death! I'm always afraid of that time! my friends bird had gotten egg bound and that was a big ordeal for her and her bird! and she spoils her birds rotten like I do mine!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5195 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2010-10-12 14:18, mysterious JO wrote:
A little night light so the bird doesn't get spooked by shadows at night while its covered! and MAKING sure the bird gets 12+ hrs of sleep is also a recommended way to keep bird happy and delay even prevent egg laying! my little critters are up at 6am and into bed by 5pm no matter what... And where they are at, the room changes with lighting constantly! they Never have nesting boxes. they get their fruits and veggies all the time! And these methods was told to me by my vet and breeders!

Recommended by who? Unless the room they are in is completely dark, you can't guarantee they'll go to sleep. Birds sleep in the dark and are active in the light. Covering the Café of a parakeet or canary is very acceptable but doves don't need it. They won't get "spooked" by shadows.

There is no reason to get nervous about birds laying eggs. Egg bound is a condition that happens very infrequently and there is a very simple solution if it happens. It doesn't need to be a trying time either for the bird or the owner.
Where the magic begins
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Refrigerate the egss until you have 8 to 12. They make good omelette sandwhichs.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Egg Laying Frequency » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL