The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Daring Spring Traps (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Two questions that I'm sure have been covered before, but I can't seem to find a thread:

1. Suggestions for "antiquing" the traps so they don't looks so darn new and shiny.

2. What "shatters" the best when placed in the trap (besides a baby's hand).

--Tony
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
1) Leave in Horse sh@t.

2) Bread Sticks
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Pretzels work great.
As for antiquing...Are these Abbots traps or straight out of the sporting goods section?
If out of the sporting goods section...It'll happen on their own. Just leave them outside for a night or two.
If they are the pretty traps from Abbots then attack with a wire brush to scuff the surface and then dab on some rust colored paint (Then wipe it off lightly)
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Carrots.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Yup....bright and shiny abbots traps....

Muchas grassy-ass all around!

--T
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Zucchini is also inherently funny.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I use chicken bones. Fingers are made of bone not vegetables so I like bones. + they shatter like mad.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
I use the tube of a chrystal biro ,explaining that the breaking strain of a human bone is 14LBS per suare inch ( utter toss I know ) and that the trap snaps at 50 lbs per squre inch ( more drivel ....but it plays out well ), and when the pen tube shatters it's superb .
Mark
Ps. I do caution anyone sitting close to shield thier eyes .."we don't want any accidents ,do we ?"
E.O.I
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Craft stores (like Michaels) sell a compound that rapidly 'rusts' unburnished steel.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If you want Abbott traps, you can ask them to give you one that hasn't been chromed. It won't take long for it to look evil. Just get it wet, and let it sit around.

www.bladewalker.com
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Coney Island Chris uses pretzel rods to great effect because they fit in with his comedy and style.

I like something with more of a point.

Michael
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Pretzel Sticks. They 'shatter' SAFELY. Plus you can eat 'em.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2905 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
It seems to me that there are some note about doctoring the appearance of the traps in the Sideshow School notes.

When I was doing the tour of Hoodwinked and performing the three trap monte, I used pretzel sticks spray painted white. I never said they were bones, but that what the audience thought. And they do shatter well and get a good reaction from the crowd.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Resident metal expert speaks:

Get some acid.. battery acid, muriatic acid, phosphoric acid, these are readily available and will work. (Carefully) pour acid into a small cup. Place the trap (or any other metal you want rusty) near and around the cup of acid. Wait overnight. Pretty much anything with iron in it will rust within 2 to 4 inches of the acid. There is a long winded scientific explanation on why this works. I don;t have the time for it right now. Trust me, it works.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
2. Performers' Egos when they blow their concentration at the wrong moment in the routine.

1. The natural oxidation process when the traps sit in a corner, neglected after the above happens.
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Quote:
On 2010-03-25 21:33, Todd Robbins wrote:
It seems to me that there are some note about doctoring the appearance of the traps in the Sideshow School notes.

When I was doing the tour of Hoodwinked and performing the three trap monte, I used pretzel sticks spray painted white. I never said they were bones, but that what the audience thought. And they do shatter well and get a good reaction from the crowd.

Now I have to go and find my copy of your notes...*grumble* (clutter sloshing around) Hey! Wait a minute, I saw Hoodwinked and your traps were so shiny they should have been on "Pimp my Ride."

BTW Instead of working on aging mine, I got my traps from a retired trapper and nature has done the work for me.

Depending on what you know about traps and what you want to do with them you could always check the outdoor/sportsman shops like Gander Mountain and Cabela's. And I would trust Gwyd when he said they rust easily.

Michael
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Size 1 1/2
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2905 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
When I did Hoodwinked, I needed the traps to look identical because of the nature of the routine, that why those were not doctored. Others I have used have needed a bit of primer and black paint misted on them. It's very simple and doesn't rough up the exterior of the metal. And one more thing, a Abbott's daring spring trap with a little primer/black paint on it looks better on TV than a trap that is really rusty. So there.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4395 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2010-03-25 16:08, gsidhe wrote:
Pretzels work great.

What even the cinnamon coated soft ones? mmmmmm at last something GOOD to come out of America! (Only joking You also gave the world ..... erm...... leaving it to the last minute to join in so you can see who is winning [too Political?]

….Oh and you gave us the Flexible Urethral Catheter in (1752 )

….. oh and crackers (1792 )

….. oh and refrigeration (1805), well that last one is NOT surprising as we all know (and this is not at all a stereotypical point of view) Americans eat more food than any other nation so need to keep big stock piles for personal consumption – hence the need for a massive fridge!) PLEASE realise I am only JOKING.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4395 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sorry to post two in a row .... but someone I think Michael K used a line about “pimp my ride”. It strikes me that there could be quite a funny routine there with pimped up traps? It would not suit everyone’s presentation – but you know …. I think it could be fun...

Quote:
On 2010-03-25 22:52, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Resident metal expert speaks: ……..

. I don;t have the time for it right now. Trust me, it works.

Ok so the explanation of it is this…… the acid contains scientific particles that we in the science community like to call “Rust fairies”. When you mix the mentioned acids together the “rust fairies” get together for a drinking session. In inevitably they get schlozled and end up sleeping with each other and playing raucous games. They run round pulling pranks on anyone near by. They make their metal items rust so that parts will break when least expected and cause the most damage!

So don’t go leaving the trap in the vicinity of the acid for too long!

MM I am so good at this science teaching! I wonder why I was pushed out of the school I used to teach at?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Daring Spring Traps (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL