The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Pocket management system for strolling/walk around magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
679 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I submitted this to one of the IBM RINGs I am involved with and thought Magi's may appreciate this.

I find that a pocket management system helps if one wears a sports coat or jacket. I personally do not like to dig around in my pockets nor do I like to have a bag tied to my belt or hip (not that there is anything wrong with it).

Pockets in a jacket can be deep, so using some very strong cardboard with a glue gun, a portable pocket index can be custom manufactured to one's walk around magic props so that they are easily attainable and separated from each other. Check out Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism for the concept which can be easily redesigned for other props. Holders for coins, cards, thumb tips, thimbles, lighter, pen, and other items can be easily designed in a pocket index for each pocket (one for the left inner jacket pocket and one for the inner right pocket. then one can paint two smaller versions black (or whatever the color of the jacket inner lining) and pin them on the inside of the jacket somewhere convenient. If one already has hold outs pinned to the inner lower jacket, the index system will not interfere with those mechanics.

Another great benefit is that the pocket index can be transfered to other jackets since it is not permanently attached to the jacket.

If one likes to carry larger props like ropes for professor's nightmare, then this may not work very well. However, assuming one is the type of magician who likes using smaller props for strolling magic, then this will work perfectly. I have used this system for competitions as well and it really helped to put my mind at ease with knowing exactly where my props are located without any digging.

If one does a lot of walk around magic without a pocket management system, then one is going to find that the inner pockets will start to tear and sag after constant "reaching in and digging" for props.

looking forward to hear the tips and experiences from other ring members.

Cheers
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6908 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sounds good. Check out Simon Lovells published works on this very same topic. Great tips. Thanks for sharing.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
I tried this method and several others.

after 2 years of digging into my (11!) pockets I perform with - I Bit the bullet and just bought a high caliber holster for all my props. $$$ but worth it in the long run I'm sure.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1895 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Can you post a pic as an example?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1643 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I tend to think that if you're needing more than 8 pockets (two in the sides of the pants, two in the back of the pants, two in the front of the jacket, two in the inside of the jacket) you're carrying too much stuff.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
679 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Michael,

nice picture. I still remember that long hair!!! Hope to see you and Brooks at GGG again this year! Great idea on buying something that is already manufactured! I like to custom make my special pocket management system for specific routines. Its the engineer in me. :o)

Futureal, Some Magi's may not mind, but for one do not like digging in my pants pocket for props. :o) so, that leaves.......the jacket pockets! :o)
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
CALVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't realize it was you, we will definitely be there!

I do like your idea, I don't carry too much while strolling/hopping these days. Your idea of custom pocket index is right up my alley for all my little bits & pieces.

See you @ the GGG,
Mike
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
679 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Mike,
now because of you, I am going to be seeking out the smallest off the shelf CD visor in the world. Hey, I am small compared to you.....Uh....I think everyone is small compared to you :o)

the one problem with using cardboard (even heavy duty cardboard)to make a custom pocket manager is that over time it will wear. there are other materials to use, but they need to be light weight and easy to cut. Sometimes, light weight plastic sheets used in electronics packaging can be recycled for this purpose. We will need to share ideas next time we meet.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5816 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Tyvek would be a good material to make an organizer out of. It's paper thin and flexible, yet it's quite durable.

But, one of the best things one can do for pocket management is to have a few sets and stick to them. It can be difficult to manage pocket space when you're performing the trick-of-the-week.
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
222 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
Quote:
On 2010-03-30 18:20, Alan Munro wrote:

But, one of the best things one can do for pocket management is to have a few sets and stick to them. It can be difficult to manage pocket space when you're performing the trick-of-the-week.

SO true. When I began doing table hopping last year I was trying to have a different set every week. Then when talking to others realized that having two sets ready with maybe one or two fillers just in case was plenty.

Great advice Alan.
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
There are several products on the market to help organize both your jacket and your coat pockets.
Klamm Magic Close-up Pocket Organizer $10 Basically a pocket divider with different size pockets sewn in it to quickly and easily access cards, coins,t-tips, etc. I use this all the time and highly recommend.

Magicians vest with 76 pockets Sold by many dealers.($75) I have used this a few times and it has way more space than you will ever...should need. Black velvet/satin material may not suit everyone and it gets really hot to wear except in winter.
Recommended for certain types of workers/dress/venues.

Dusheck's Vest ($50) Do not own, but I have seen one used by another magician. Sort of a half vest sort of thing which is not supposed to look like you are wearing a vest. (If that makes sense)

Close-up Organizer by Seams Like Magic $18 I used to use one of these before I purchased the Klamm Pocket Organizers. Users tip- pin it to your shirt not your jacket, otherwise you'll feel like you're leaning to one side all of the time.
Lots of space, easy access, well made. Recommended

Cal if you'd like to see any of these organizers just let me know and I'll bring them to a meeting
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
679 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Not for the trick of the week. more like a different pocket setup towards different venue, business, audience, and competitions. For example, I have custom pocket organizer for a walk around competition and another set up for a close up competition, and another for a specific table hopping theme. Folks who do the same performance no matter who the audience is can just have 1. If you have different routines based on your venue or audience, then you may want to have a different set up for those.

I will still be looking for that small CD visor as well. :o)

yeah Patrick, I'll see you in May.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
Sounds good, thanks for sharing.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Yup I had a thought on that myself for my street performing act I will be using one too many sets of balls. Sponge ball, billiard balls, and balls for my cups. that's both outside jacket pockets plus the trouser pockets. I also need to use a pocket to itself for hex nuts, string, and a thumb tip. The other pocket for a sharpie, four final loads for my cups, and a peanut. So I will need my side coat pockets containing double walls. I need to find a tailor once everything else is taken care of like polishing my acts and getting a license.
Jeremy Gates
JayCee0919
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JayCee0919
Nearly 12 years on and this thread is a lifesaver! Thanks to the OP and everyone else - I was sweating a Halloween gig I have this weekend and the costume I have has limited space
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1750 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
To each their own but when I would table hop, I went loaded for bear but never found the need to use anything but the pants pockets and jacket pockets.

Jacket contained:
Right outside jacket pocket - Four sponge balls, the same pocket came with two coin pockets which held short hop in one slot and a magnetic scotch and soda half with 500 yen finish. At the bottom of the pocket where bottle tops setup for Prohibition
Left outside jacket pocket - Jigger, 2 olives/2 corks for Jiggernaut.
Right inside jacket pocket - Performing deck, lately inside a little door box, set up for Red Hot Mamma and Color Monte occasionally with a thumb tip setup for $100 bill switch
Left inside Jacket pocket - Sharpies and either Dry erase marker or Pencil with Misled, One trick deck, usually an invisible deck
Left inside ticket pocket - packet trick wallet with Capitulating queens with various gaff cards/replacements on the other side or second packet trick like Perfectly Oiled
Front Breast Pocket - Magicians silk with thumb tip positioned for easy retrieval with silk

Pants contained:
Right front trouser pocket - Hot Rod and lately turbo stick, always tried to keep this pocket relatively clean for card-to-pocket
Right back trouser pocket - four floss containers set up for gypsy floss (stacked 2x2), Sharpie and QB2
Left back trouser pocket - shoe lace and 2 inch ring for Fanatasma ring escape
Left front trouser pocket - wallet and/or phone, also 4 quarters for bending should I not be able to borrow one

No more than one trick per pocket (or with zero interference) and with this setup, I could turn tables for hours without any divider or issue keeping track of tricks.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
A wallet or more than 1 is useful...many compartments. Also if you wear a top hat like Tamariz, you can have sewn pockets in the inside of the hat. That's where I keep floating secrets (I.T.)
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1199 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Thought I’d throw in the use of my Secret Servante attached to your jacket which is great for holding out small items such as coins to free up pocket space
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
madmalone
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of madmalone
How about customs vests??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Pocket management system for strolling/walk around magic (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL