The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The return of Shy Spy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Shy Spy by Bob Mason, a work for the stage
The basic effect
Three spectators are selected to participate in a spy playlet. These spectators are to represent different spies. One will be an American Spy, one will be a Communist Spy, and the other will be a British spy. They go to a secluded area, or offstage, and decide which part each of them will portray and then return to the stage. The mentalist then gives each of them an envelope containing secret orders that they are to carry out. Each envelope contains orders for all three spies and each spectator is to fulfill the orders for the spy that they represent (i.e. if spectator is an American Spy then he/she does what is ordered for the American spy, etc...). The orders direct each of the spies to steal certain blueprints that are on a table. The mentalist stands where he cannot see what the spies are doing and they each perform their spy chores and return to their place on stage. The mentalist now acts as a spy catcher and using his ESP, correctly tells each spectator which spy they are.
This effect can be used with other plot lines. The work was originally written during the height of the Cold War. This effect works well as a murder mystery. Also, not this effect can be played as a bit of comedy or done as a serious work of mentalism. Shy Spy is a wonderful effect for the stage or large parlor by a master mentalist and performer.

When we started Mentalist Creation Laboratory in 2006, this was first effect we began reconstructing Shy Spy a masterpiece for the stage mentalist. After receiving hundreds of emails, many from the same people, LOL, concerning this effect the last four years, Shy Spy by Bob Mason is ready once again.

This effect was originally released by Bob in 1972. Only a few were ever sold. The exact number is unknown, but from our research at MCL, we feel the number is under 25. Most of these copies were given by Bob to other mentalists.
Since it has taken four years of work and countless hours of time I want to share a few copies of this work with some of you. So for the first 3 people who email me will receive a copy of this wonderful effect.
I would like to say this is one of the easiest to do stage mental effects but, one of the hardest effect I have every tried to restore. We searched though piles of documents in old boxes to find a complete copy. What we found was only small fragments scattered about in many different boxes. So we had to go to the original note books that contain so many ideas it was easy to get lost along the way. In the end we had to take what we had and was known about the effect and go from there. After four years and countless gallons of coffee and tea it is whole one again. I performed this effect using some test methods I devised from the notes we had complied over the years. The effect upon an audience is perfect. For the record let me say Bobs way was, as usual, much easier.

Before you all start asking Yes, I am working on The Picture Test. I promise it won't take too much longer to finish.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
I would like to see it, if the three copies aren't already spoken for
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Magus and Pitt Boss your works have been sent only one left. I am stepping out for a few moments. there is still one left.
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
I may spend too much time on the Café, but it occasionally has its rewards. It seems like I just happen to stumble upon his posts quickly. I'm not complaining.

Upon first read, this is another thought provoking Bob Mason routine from the generous Bill Montana. This one seems like it would be a lot of fun for both performer and audience.

Thanks again.

JD
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Really nice routine!!
As I said I like a lot the ideas to give new life to this effects!
REALLY good job Bill!
:)
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
I have the "Zodiac of Life", an older fortune telling effect, which has been revised and added to by M.C. Lab. There is a lot of clever thinking in it, and is open to your own routining.
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
This routine is well thought out! I love the idea, in my opinion a very fresh plot! Bill keeps recovering long lost gems of mentalism in his ebooks. I am very happy that he shows so much care for forgotten treasures of mentalism! Another winner!
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Thanks Guys, for your kind words and support of my work it is always welcome and appreciated.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Being in Europe and with the time difference I probably missed being one of the three.
But just in case.
I've been trying to include something like this for a while. Though I would probably use another premise than spies as I have a spy piece elsewhere in the act.

So (with fingers crossed)
regards
Steve
NabsS
View Profile
New user
Geneva (Switzerland)
97 Posts

Profile of NabsS
Hmmm, that's 1/6 chance of doing it based on pure luck, but it is true that in mentalism sometimes an effect with a relatively high probability can, based on presentation, appear more miraculous than something with a lower probability.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Steve, thanks, and yes you can write your own script for the performance.By the way, what is the other spy routine you mentioned Sounds interesting.

NabS, hi, its not luck, is a very simple yet elusive code system.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
It's an effect from MindBlasters II
(can't recall the name off hand but I can look it up)

Although originally intended as a psychic piece, very much in the vein of Directors Cut, in which you reveal 5 pieces of information from an index card the spec holds; I present it as a demonstration of experiments by US and Russia during the cold war into the feasability of transfering information psychicaly.
(That spelling can't be right)

As I obviously was too late, is this available to buy?

Steve
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Steve, Thanks, The effect sound great. You can find a copy on my website and in the next couple of days it will be on imentalism.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Actually it's up there now. And all of Bill's work from the Mentalist Creation Lab can now be purchased at http://www.imentalism.com as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The return of Shy Spy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL