The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mikame Flag Staff - Durable? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2010-03-29 11:45, Kune wrote:
I was just looking at the Mikame Flag-Staff (from the Prestige Collection line), and I was wondering if anyone here owns one, and if so, how durable does it seem to you?

Overall it seems like a good deal with the silk included. Unless of course it's likely to break after some use, in which case it would suddenly become very expensive.

Any feedback would be great - thanks!

I own two of them. Have had them for around 5-6 years. They have held up well.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I have the mikame staff it a verry fine product I bought mine from stevens .
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Just used mine last night. Looks great !!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
DaddyDoodle, Your staff is not an Abbott's they made them in Brass and did not chrome plate them, the metal loops on Abbott's is just brass wire, plus no bulb on the top.

Looks like you have a very superior Flag Staff model that is very well made. Consider yourself lucky to have such a nice piece of equipment.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
After 5 weeks on the road I just got home to find waiting in my post box a custom painted flag by Richard Hughes on an Abbotts staff and, like everything I've ever ordered from Richard, beautifully done.

I look forward to poking some eyes out.

I think it looks astonishing when it appears out of nowhere - the size of the silk is great in itself, but add to that a solid brass staff and it's sensational.
osterloh69
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of osterloh69
Does anyone have a picture of their Mikame flag staff? I recently acquired a used one but I think it may not be genuine. There is a small sticker on the handle that says "made in korea". I thought all Mikame products (especially the "Prestige" line) were made in Japan. The 6' silk looks like those pictured on most product listings (tie-died with circular rings) but it does not really feel like silk. Also, the handle has white tape on the end to make it appear like a wand if that half was protruding from something like a hat. The item did not come in the original box, but did have photocopied Mikame instructions. I can post pictures of mine if that would help identify it.

Regards,
--John
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The white end of the staff was a Neil Foster idea a whole bunch of years ago!

Neil "set" the prop and the silk end was in a top hat with the white end sticking out (looked a bit like the standard wand in a hat).

Neil just picked up the hat(with "wand" showing, walked down stage ands whipped out the staff. It looked great and no one that I know of ever commented on the rather "unorthodox" handling!

I don't use the staffs (staves?!) in every show--too much set up for a school show performer on the road doing 3 and 4 shows a day in different towns! They do pack small and play big, and really fill the stage when I do an evening "promotion" show.

I have had Abbott's props for 30+ years and am happy with them. I had Recil sew a silk ribbon on the edge of the silks that hooks to the staff (less chance of tearing holes in the silk).

Like Richard Hughes said above--careful pleating and folding the silks is CRITICAL!

I like Abbott's 6' "MAMMOTH PRODUCTION" SILK, too. They hold up well.

T. Nelson Downs used two for a finish when he retired from vaudeville--see the Faucett Ross book for Tommy Downs' technique.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
osterloh69
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of osterloh69
Thank you for the reply. Here are some pictures of the one I bought. Does this look like a Mikame original?

Regards,
--John

Click here to view attached image.
osterloh69
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of osterloh69
Here is the staff in open position with attached silk. Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
--John

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mikame Flag Staff - Durable? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL