The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Would you be impressed?" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On 2010-04-01 06:43, steveline wrote:

I just hate that phrase.
It reminds me of salesmen that say "If I could save you 10% on your energy bills you'd be interested, yes?"

Hey that questions works a treat!
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I also hate it when people ask a question and then say Yes at the end with a rising inflection.

Maybe I need some anger management.
Though I seem to manage to get angry without much problem

Steve
monkeypuzzletree
View Profile
Regular user
essex
119 Posts

Profile of monkeypuzzletree
Here's another that mentalists seem to use a lot: "For the first time..."

E.g. "For the first time, name the card you are thinking of."

But that's not as bad as, "Let's take it a stage further..."
Brandon Queen
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, California
527 Posts

Profile of Brandon Queen
I wouldn't use, "would you be impressed?" which only elicits a yes or no response. I would use a presupposition like Kenton teaches in wonder words. "How impressed would you be if I could _____?" When using this structure, you can basically elicit any emotion you want. I personally wouldn't want someone to be just impressed like StuartNolan was referring to. Instead maybe something like; "How speechless would you become if I could name your thought of word?" "How upset would you be if I was able to tell you your deceased grandmothers name?" "How excited would you be if I was able to turn your one dollar bill into a hundred dollar bill?" etc..

Monkeypuzzletree, I'm not sure who first started to say that, but yes you're right, that is a phrase we hear a lot in our field. But there is a very good reason to use that phrase. It is used quite frequently, as double speak when pulling off some of that dunninger business and other various things. It also reassures people that it is indeed the first time they are saying their thought or choice, for skeptics who might thing that the performer somehow got the information prior to the show. Which in some cases they do. Smile
It occured to me at once that love could be a great illusion, that makes fools of brilliant thinkers everyday
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
I agree that it's generally a really poor piece of scripting. What's more, it has now become a cliche, so it's a really LAZY poor piece of scripting. If you can't write your patter, 'borrowing' someone else's isn't going to do you much good.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I kinda' agree with what's been said but it DOES depend on who is using these words and how they use them.
Also the whole thing changes ever so slightly when you change the 'I' to 'someone'. ie: "Would you be impressed if someone could ask you to merely think of a word and suddenly they touch you on the forehead and blurt out the word you're thinking of? It's kinda like... they... somehow... 'felt' it, from within your brain!"
I think that works.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Now that is aperfect way to say it.

Thank you for that

Steve
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
A much better apparoach is to say things like "You are going to freak out!" or "You are going to remember this for the rest of your life!" instead of asking what, in my opinion, are lame questions.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I told a young (late 20s) woman "This is so amazing you'll want to tell your grandchildren about it." and she looked a bit put out and said "I don't have any grandchildren." which I thought was deliriously funny but no-one else did.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
"Oh! Well you're gonna have 3... two girls and a boy."
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
"Would you be impressed?"

I see nothing wrong in this question as long as they see nothing wrong in my answer to them, should they happen to ask me!

"NO!" (That would be my answer!)
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
I'm impressed by this thread lasting five years.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2015, sjrw wrote:
"Oh! Well you're gonna have 3... two girls and a boy."

:eek: Smile Tread carefully on that ground!!
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 28, 2015, Cassidy001 wrote:

Gotcha! In the end we got you!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2015, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Quote:

Doh!
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2015, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Quote:

Doh!

Dah!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Would you be impressed?" (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL