The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Floating Lightbulb Materials? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Hello,

So I'm beginning my long journey of learning the floating lightbulb illusion and I have a couple questions.

The first question is:
What is the right type of IT to use for this effect? I'm not doing the version with assistants (I'm doing the one U.F. Grant published... I believe it's on lybrary.com) so the floating ball hook-up wouldn't work. A direct link would be great here Smile I think regular or even kevlar IT is too weak for the bulb if I'm not mistaken.

The second question is:
Where is a good place to get the proper ring (preferably 16")?

Thanks,
Sam
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Try the craft store for the ring
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
When the stage folks, Blackston, et al, did the bulb, IT didn't exist. Learn it with strong stuff, then learn to light it and camo it with short streaks of marking pen.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Use an embroidery hoop from a craft store.

Get Burling Hull's book and then (as Pete said) learn to light it and do it. While you are at it you better learn what to do when the T***d breaks. It will happen. I saw it happen with Blackstone several times. There really is no out to this failure. Don't bother with IT unless you are doing something closeup.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
IT is not the way to go, it won't hold the weight, follow Richard's and Pete's advise. Especially the advice of what to do when it fails, it failed on both Uncle Harry and Harry, Jr. more than once. Real professionalism with this illusion is in knowing how to recover.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I saw Mandrake do the Dancing Hkf. and the T broke... he recovered nicely by getting it around the mike stand.

I think if I did the Bulb and the T broke, I'd say, "Oh dear, the battery died."
:kermit:
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
I've never done the Floating Bulb, but is it possible to have a second hookup ready just in case?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ask Bill Smith in Las Vegas at Magic Ventures.... He was the assistant that did it with Harry Jr.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This is not the type of thing that Bill should or would talk about unless he knows the person quite well. Nor would I. That is out of respect for Harry.

I will say this. This effect is much more specialized than one would think at first glance. Years of practice and thousands of performances in many venues cannot be substituted. Even with Harry, I have been there for the failures of the effect. No two situations were alike. But Harry's strong personality could cover it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Good point Richard.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
The thread you want... for parlour and stage work is UNI-THREAD 8/0

it's strong enough for a lightbulb... super thin..., and change it frequently..., it's resistance to rubbing isn't super good.

You can get it from fly fishing stores.

For regular stage work, I'd go with something thicker..., better safe than sorry.
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Thanks everyone!

I think you guys answered all of my questions.

Let me just be sure... so you all are saying that I should just use either normal black T****D or fishing line and then be careful with lighting? This makes much more sense if that is so.

Sam
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
magicmatt
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicmatt
I second the UNI-THREAD 8/0. I have been using this thread for my Dancing Hank, Dancing Cane, Floating Light bulb, and Don Wayne Floating Ball for years. Does very well, but I only use the thread for one performance because of rubbing. I also agree with makeupguy, if you are on a big stage use a thicker thread. This might sound weird, but for the Floating Ball and Light Bulb, I put a Vaseline lotion onto the thread. This makes the thread supper slick and cuts down the rubbing tremendously. It does make the thread a little more shiny, but it want matter if you have a shiny backdrop to hide the thread like I do.
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Great! What kind of stage lighting do you recommend specifically for the UNI-THREAD 8/0? I know that might be kind of a broad ranged question, but I would like to narrow down my options before experimenting/practicing.

Thanks Smile
-Denny Haney
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What color UNI-THREAD 8/0? A google shows various colors, but no purple.
magicmatt
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicmatt
I have always used a dark brown or dark navy thread. Purple is said to be a good color also. I have also used black and it works fine. It really depends on your back drop. If you are using a plan single color backdrop then the lighting and thread colors need to be matched up. Which is more difficult but it can be done because I have. You need to have a busy backdrop that will break up the thread and camouflage it. If you have a shiny backdrop like "INFINITY NU LASH" (link below) then you can hide pretty much anything and also with a backdrop like that the brighter the lights the better. It doesn't have to be a flashy backdrop just one that has some type of repeating pattern on it. A good book that helped me get started with floating effects was (Conjuror's Optical Secrets - S.H. Sharpe). Another thought, it also depends on the distance between you and the audience of which thread you use. I have only performed my floating effects in a parlor style atmosphere and the audience was maybe 15 feet way. If I was on stage I would use an even stronger thread because my length of thread on stage would be greater. The max distance I have used UNI-THREAD would probably be 20 feet. That's from a high hookup to the magician. UNI-THREAD is strong but you have to be graceful when using it. I start performing my floating effects in my parents garage as a kid. I would line one wall with a large blue tarp as my backdrop and with the proper lighting it allowed me to hide UNI-THREAD easily. The blue tarp put off enough shimmering light the helped camouflage the thread. Not the best but it worked being on a budget. Ok, I am at work on my lunch break and I have rambled on long enough. I hope what I have written above makes any since given the time frame I spent writing it. If you have anymore questions please ask as I will check this topic periodically for updates.

http://www.magicauction.com/Mag_auc/Illu......ries.htm
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
So I'm going to use my black art backdrop. Would black UNI-THREAD 8/0 be the right color for this backdrop and would the backdrop I'm using work from about 10-15 feet away (auditorium setting on the edge of the stage)?

Under these conditions, what does anyone recommend for specifics on actual lighting (i.e. dim stage lights with a spotlight)? What is the optimal dimness of lights so you cannot see the thread, but at the same time not arouse any suspicion of cover?

Thanks again,
Sam
-Denny Haney
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 14:33, magicmatt wrote:
I have always used a dark brown or dark navy thread. Purple is said to be a good color also. I have also used black and it works fine. It really depends on your back drop. If you are using a plan single color backdrop then the lighting and thread colors need to be matched up. Which is more difficult but it can be done because I have. You need to have a busy backdrop that will break up the thread and camouflage it. If you have a shiny backdrop like "INFINITY NU LASH" (link below) then you can hide pretty much anything and also with a backdrop like that the brighter the lights the better. It doesn't have to be a flashy backdrop just one that has some type of repeating pattern on it. A good book that helped me get started with floating effects was (Conjuror's Optical Secrets - S.H. Sharpe). Another thought, it also depends on the distance between you and the audience of which thread you use. I have only performed my floating effects in a parlor style atmosphere and the audience was maybe 15 feet way. If I was on stage I would use an even stronger thread because my length of thread on stage would be greater. The max distance I have used UNI-THREAD would probably be 20 feet. That's from a high hookup to the magician. UNI-THREAD is strong but you have to be graceful when using it. I start performing my floating effects in my parents garage as a kid. I would line one wall with a large blue tarp as my backdrop and with the proper lighting it allowed me to hide UNI-THREAD easily. The blue tarp put off enough shimmering light the helped camouflage the thread. Not the best but it worked being on a budget. Ok, I am at work on my lunch break and I have rambled on long enough. I hope what I have written above makes any since given the time frame I spent writing it. If you have anymore questions please ask as I will check this topic periodically for updates.

http://www.magicauction.com/Mag_auc/Illu......ries.htm

Or..... http://www.brownbeautymagic.com
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Quote:
On 2010-04-01 20:39, Pete Biro wrote:
When the stage folks, Blackston, et al, did the bulb, IT didn't exist. Learn it with strong stuff, then learn to light it and camo it with short streaks of marking pen.

Ah! Sorry Pete...

I somehow missed this comment about the lighting.

What do you mean by camouflaging the thread with short marking streaks?

I'm guessing that lighting is something you learn and changes with every stage set-up then?

Thanks,
Sam
-Denny Haney
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
The basic stage lighting needs to be Primary Red filters. Red light seems to affect audience's eyes and they do not focuss properly.
Do not have light behind you or coming directly down onto the thread. Keep the LX coming from out front.Check how street lighting hitting telegraph wires from above makes them shine!
A pin spot on the floating object--again experiment with the colour filter in it--I use one of the blues with my Floating Ball which I have performed for 30 odd years.

NEVER use a black or plain background

If you read up on Willard the Wizard you will discover he did have a black backcloth BUT it was covered with a multitude of white spots, quite close together.
This enabled him to present various items with threads, including puppets, in nearly full stage lighting.

Allen Tipton UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Floating Lightbulb Materials? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL