The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Wonder Lights, not D' Lite , But..... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2011-04-09 15:41, scottsheltonmagic wrote:
As an owner of JSB's Finger Fazers, I must say that I like the concept but I doubt it was his original idea. When I visited Hong Kong many years ago, they were selling hundreds of those things on street corners for really cheap. The electronics were exactly the same including the plastic covering and switches. The only thing that may have been unique to JSB would be wrapping it in a ba****e and marketing it to magicians. Not knocking the guy or the product, just saying that it's unlikely he invented the electronics.

You are right! He doesn't manufacture them, I believe he repackages them. I do think it was him to first use them this way.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
In response to the the posts made about the originality to the design of the WL's I will say that again, I was with the owner personally as we designed the method for this effect. The owner of the company has a a broker in England who has a manufacturer and we went through a few auto-cad proofs until we found a design that worked best for us. He recently just went to Magic Live in Vegas and several well-known names in magic were greatly impressed with the design and effects possible with WL's with no mention of copying Mr. Berry's design. SO to rest any concerns out there of the originality to THIS particular concept, this design is original and has a US patent as well.
winewizard
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of winewizard
Wonder lights sounds great but I note it is sold at Universal, Florida...sort of leads me to believe that the cries of "I know how.." will resound.
Unless there is a great and unique routine which if it exists will certainly be posted at The Café. Anyone?
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Wonder Lights, Spirit Lights, and JSB's Fazers are all totally different designs. They all have their own advantages and disadvantages. I do love the trend of "It looks similar, so it's the same. Nope, it is. I don't have proof, but the video shows that they're similar, so they're the same.", but none of these really fall into that category. Wonder Lights and Spirit Light both eliminate issues the D'lite's had that made them less desirable.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Correct, Jeff. Are intent was not to develop this for magicians but to correct what WE felt was lacking in the "light from fingertips" department. It just so happened that after we got the final design done and the first batch shipped to us, THAT's when we discovered the many things a magician could do with them.

Winewizard- to add to your comment, I understand your comment but also consider this- we sell close to 10,000 Svengali decks a month and still have guests come in EVERY day who have never seen one.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have spirit lights-- d-lites--and berrys fazers
I really love the spirit lights and the way they
are made so you can transfer them to the back of the hand.
my question is can you do this with the wonder lights.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
We have worked out various methods of loading the unit on different locations such as the back of your hand, pants, spectator's watch or on their back. Then it could be retrieved in the action of showing your hand empty and reaching behind their head or under their arm and producing the light. Being a coin man myself I found a lot of the same concealments and moves could be used with the WL's.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
A friend of mine, who is not a magician but bought these at Universal in Florida, came to me for help figuring out how to use them. In my opinion they take too much pressure to activate and it's difficult to get the same sort of "at your fingertips" look that a D'Lite provides.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 01:14, Gordon wrote:
A friend of mine, who is not a magician but bought these at Universal in Florida, came to me for help figuring out how to use them. In my opinion they take too much pressure to activate and it's difficult to get the same sort of "at your fingertips" look that a D'Lite provides.

Oh come on, it doesn't take THAT much pressure to touch a wire to a battery. Also, the brightness is outstanding in comparison to the D'Lites! When performed correctly the brightness from the fingertip area is incredible. I you want to stick with D'Lites that's your decision but why stick with something that has to stay stationary and can't be manipulated AND something that isn't even CLOSE to being as bright?! Did I mention the batteries can be replaced as well?

But don't take my word for it...we only sell close to 10,000 sets a month.

PS- I did speak with the owner tonight and after reading this thread, he suggested that you might be holding it too far back which could account for having to apply more pressure.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Michael
the question I was wanting to know
was are wonder lights made to attach
to the finger like spirit lights are.
or do you just handle them like a coin.
nowyoucme
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of nowyoucme
I just orderd some from MJM. I sould have these by sat. The demo looks great.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I can't wait to hear your review.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Then there is also D'Light V5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0R44EYMXZw
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Wonder lights are unique although I wouldn’t replace my dlites with them. If you do any coin work with BC or GP the wonder light becomes a very interesting tool. I came up with a really fun routine combining one wonder light and a dlite. That being said they both have there benefits and draw backs.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 10:44, DonHarlan wrote:
Wonder lights are unique although I wouldn’t replace my dlites with them. If you do any coin work with BC or GP the wonder light becomes a very interesting tool. I came up with a really fun routine combining one wonder light and a dlite. That being said they both have there benefits and draw backs.

Hey Don...what did you like and not like about the DL's? Just curious.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 18:50, bowers wrote:
Michael
the question I was wanting to know
was are wonder lights made to attach
to the finger like spirit lights are.
or do you just handle them like a coin.

Hey Bowers. DL's are NOT intended to be attached to the hand by any means of adhesive if that's what you're wondering. one night the owner and myself had just been jamming on the possibilities. Ypu know, that feeling when the first 50,000 units get dropped off at your doorstep DIRECTLY after manufacturing and all you want to do is play with your "new toys" ; ) The beauty of these things is that not only can they be transferred in certain grips and concealments, but they also open up interesting ideas on HOW to be concealed and rung into play. Make sense?
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 10:44, DonHarlan wrote:

Hey Don...what did you like and not like about the DL's? Just curious.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Spirit lights are not attached with adhesive
but by a thin elastic band that can be swiveled
around the finger.to show the front and back of hand.
works perfectly.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
That's cool. I'd like to see those. With WL's we show you how to Back Clip them and a few other moves.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I have to say that the trick being sold here:
http://www.theatremagic.com/prop-shop/kardtoon-kid/

Is a blatant ripoff of Dan Harlan's Cardtoon. It is even more expensive:
http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=1576
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/cardtoon-trick-2-p-1690.html

Bad business. I am sure we will see lots of excuses here in a moment.
James
ps
Hopefully Dan Harlan will post his feelings here soon.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Wonder Lights, not D' Lite , But..... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL