The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Spring puppet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
I'm trying to make my own spring puppet. I have the body worked out -- the spring is the problem. I don't think I'll be able to get one off the rack, so I'm figuring I need to get some wire and wrap it around a pipe. All of the wires Ive found so far aren't springy. I've found some spring steel manufacturers on the web, but I'm not sure what to buy.

Does anybody know what type of wire to use and where to get it??
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You need what is known as music wire, or piano wire. You will need to get a small coil, so you'll have enough. Google those names and you should find sources. Once you get it and before you try to use it get back with us, so you don't kill yourself with the wire. Smile If you order a coil, be sure to get one with a brake.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Mr. Baker what about a SLINKY remember those as a kid.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I hadn't thought about that. It might be worth a try.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
A Slinky is a Tension or Torsion Spring. Don't you need Compression Spring for a Spring Puppet?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You don't actually need a spring in a spring puppet. Foam rubber works quite nicely.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
My thought is that some of the "original" spring animals (and I mean way way back) used mattress or maybe sofa springs. Those would be the right size, and might just require some cutting. Of course, almost no one knows what or has a mattress or sofa spring, but you might check with antique furniture restoration people to check on possible sources. I have cause to use typewriter springs a lot. Yeah, try finding one of those these days.

Just a thought

Pix
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
How do you use the foam rubber? Do you need to sculpt it into the shape of the puppet?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Slinkys can be stretched out
Most bed springs are way to hard
Foam (easiest) could be rolled (tube shape) or cubed then stuffed inside. Alternative: Use those 50 sponge balls that are junking-up your sock drawer and stuff them inside.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Duh! Never thought about streching the Slinky.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 14:29, Zack wrote:
How do you use the foam rubber? Do you need to sculpt it into the shape of the puppet?

I liked a foam "log" that was hollowed out and inserted in the puppet. Unless your puppet has unusual cavities (like cheeks, for example" you don't need to worry about sculpting the foam any more than you would sculpt a wire spring. The hollow space in the center of the "log" allowed for the same flexing movements as with a spring; push down and his head goes up, etc.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
I bought a dozen of these, tho not here. the spring is 2" dia. and about 18" long. I had to used three to get enough "spring" but they compress well. there are bigger versions that may suit you better.
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
Mark Austin
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Mark Austin
I used one of the spring snakes from a large Adams peanut brittle can to make my own spring animal.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Zack,
Buy a spring rabbit and gut the sucker.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Spring puppet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL