The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Little Hand look at this! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
milesart
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
214 Posts

Profile of milesart
Which one is the best version of this trick in your opinion?
I am thinking of getting this one:
http://www.propdog.co.uk/little-hand-gimmick
or this one:
http://www.ammarmagic.com/littlehand.html
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8729 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I think Bonsalls' idea works and does the job, but it changes the classic trick somewhat. Instead of the coin/ring disappearing, it is just taken by the little hand inside the clasped hands a bit before you basically give/bring it back. I think it's what separates the 2 methods, with this way being more of a gag, than a trick as really nothing magical happens, though admittedly the little hand is gone, I guess. I will say that his design has some nice touches to it. I like the greater thinking on this old idea.

Personally, I think the vanish of the coin is much more magically put behind the gag of the little hand itself. Which is why I believe that Ammar's version of the trick works better and still best. A lot of the handling is similar in the 2 methods, and nothing is really difficult in either, with some practice. But to me, the use of the little helper in Ammar's version helps a lot, and so I would prefer the latter of the two effects, that being a bit smoother and more magical, IMHO.

Either way, still a fun gag/trick. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I like the design of the Bonsalls' hand. If it was magnetized like the Ammar version, it would be better.
milesart
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
214 Posts

Profile of milesart
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, Ray Haining wrote:
I like the design of the Bonsalls' hand. If it was magnetized like the Ammar version, it would be better.

Ah, is it not?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8729 Posts

Profile of Mb217
This is exactly the point that I was trying to not so directly make,
" ...the use of the little helper (= Magnet)" in Ammar's version helps a lot,…"

Not to mention that it's also stated quite directly on Bonsall's website…

"...The second goal was to ensure this could 'claw' a borrowed ring or coin. Other versions have a magnet in to pick up a magenetic coin, but this is no good for a ring or borrowed coin. This version will perfectly claw and drag any ring or coin into the hand, so there's no need for a magnet…"

While it is so that you need a magnetic coin, I think the Ammar version provides a magnetic nickel I think(?). Just the same, it don't really matter whether you borrow a coin or not, as either specs will provide or you would have your own. Not really a big deal as the trick still comes across as completely impromptu.

Again, I do like some of the things that Bonsall's has tackled in his version, and I agree with my friend Ray here that with the magnet (which would've perhaps made it cost more?) it would be better. Why? Well then it would accommodate both types of coins and or rings, magnetic or not, yours or theirs. Smile Of course as it is designed, it does exactly what it's supposed to do (And perhaps might be a better looking little hand as well), but again as originally stated, it does not vanish the coin as in the original trick (which probably is part of the importance of the use of a magnet). Smile

Hence, Bonsall changed the outcome of the effect and made it work in the way he thought to "improve" it. Since really the appearance of the little hand is the real POP! of the trick, what happens to the coin can go whichever way you like and it should still play well enough. Smile And the thinking given to better ditch the little hand comfortably is a nice touch. Like I sorta said earlier, I appreciate the progression on this. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
I've made a slightly updated handling of the Little Hand that starts with a vanish and ends with a different vanish. Thought you guys might enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIMhy1lsjuQ

-Rick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Little Hand look at this! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL