The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Steal by Calen Morelli (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Yeah, you just need to set it, even can do it while talking with your audience. It's a self working, you only need to wave or cover.

However, if you want to move the seals into different places, you have to reset it. So you have to decide the starting point of the seal and the final spot. Apart from then, you either have to reset it or make another gimmick with a different seals movement.

I hope it makes sense as I cannot go further without revealing the secret.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
calen.morelli.
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of calen.morelli.
Quote:
On 2010-05-10 06:57, WayneL wrote:
Is this impromptu? I mean you are always ready to go?

The gimmick resets instantly after each performance, so your always ready to go.

Calen
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Hey Calen,

You have no idea how happy I am when getting this trick! It's so visual and even they try to inspect it, most of them will find nothing as they think something is inside my palm that did the magic Smile
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Ok, last night I was able to build the gimmick for the blue box (yay!). I've wasted about 3 boxes before I could make this one perfectly. It works same as the original gimmick and I learned many things from constructing the box.

I just need to find more material so I could have one or two more boxes for different routine. Even the gimmick looks simple, crafting it could be a pain in the neck. It was fun tho, especially when it works like a charm. Now, I just need the red and white Bicycle seals.
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
Just wanted to post my review for this amazing 'effect':

[U]STEAL - by calen morelli[/U]

IMAGINE BEING ABLE TO VANISH, CHANGE, AND MOVE THE SEAL ON A DECK OF CARDS AT WILL..... WITH NO COVER AT ALL!

the.NOTES

Instant Reset |Self-Contained |Easy to Do |Practical |Visua.Visual.Visual.

the.PACKAGING

I first want to start off with the packaging, as Steal is an effect with a lot of possibilies - only limited to your imagination. Steal is an 8-page booklet (with a 'thick' cover and some 'good' paper stock) and inside is the flatten gimmicked box, (which will require you to just glue the bottle flap together), the special something to make Steal work and two deck seals (to get you started on the effect) - which comes in a clear (sandwich-like) bag. Calen's teaching is very easy to follow along, as he organizes and titles each section (ex. Setup, Performance, ect...). My only 'complaint' is that I didn't like how the 8th-page section was printed on the cover of the booklet, and the printing seemed a little off and some of the pages were slighter bigger than others - BUT Calen's simple and comprehensive teaching and the included gimmicks overweight this factor.

the.GIMMICK

Here is something I want to touch on. The method behind this is ingenious. When I took the box out of the package and put it together and just stared at it, I thought, "Why does he include a box?", because at that moment, I thought the gimmick would be something else, but not until I read the booklet, little did I find out, the box was the gimmick - as I said, I looked to see what was so special about this box - for around a good 5 minutes - this proves how deceptive Steal is. Also, the quality of the box, well, if you perform with cards, you know how fast (or little) your box can wear out - depending on how you take care of it, but Calen does includes the needed something so you can create a new gimmick... and I like that. Last thing I want to note is, the box comes in RED only Bicycle card box, but when you see how this works, you can make it work with any box of your choice.

the.PRACTICAL FACTOR

Again, this is something I thought I would bring up. How practical is Steal? VERY practical! If you perform with cards, than Steal is something you should definitely look into. This is VERY easy to do and within 5 minutes (or less) you should have it down. It's practically self-working! What I also liked is that it's 'impromptu'; meaning, seeing how it's self-contained, all you just need to do is carry with you the gimmicked box (obviously, with your cards inside and YES - the box DOES NOT interfere with your cards). This is just as visual in person than in the demo - with just a shake or a snap, the magic happens. And like I said before, our spectators love quick and visual magic, so Steal fits this perfectly,

the.EFFECTS

Now, let's go into the effects included inside Steal* (notice I said included, as you can create many more using Steal and Calen addresses this nicely in the booklet. Also, Calen doesn't include any performance script, as he wants YOU to work and create your own script and make it fit you.).

Movement-You visually pull the seal from one end of the box to the other!

Pop- The selected card visually jumps out of the box! A perfect ending for an ambitious card routine.

-This is one of the highlights of the booklet. I love the look when the card 'pops' out of the card box, when you see the demo yourself, you won't believe your eyes. As Calen stated, "It's a perfect ending for an ACR!", this is very true and could definitely become an ACR ending favorite.

Bluff- You give the spectator a poker chip to hold on to. The seal vanishes from the deck and reappears on the chip in the spectators hand!

-Cards and a poker chip compliment each other nicely. This is along the lines of a seal transpo - the seal goes from the box to the chip. This chip is examined and shown completely free of any deck seals to begin with, and I like how the spectator holds the chip in her hand only to find that the seal has appeared on the chip... WHICH IS INSIDE HER HAND. Very nice, although I won't be performing this a lot, but I do like it.

Melting point- The seal visually melts to the inside of the card case!

-I am a fan of this one, because it's quick, visual (all the effects possible with Steal are visual), and I like how the seal 'penetrates' the box and is now inside the box itself - to me, it seems logical - the seal from the box, goes back to the box - with a twist at the end. This is probably definitely my favorite and most performed so far.

Color- The seal instantly changes color!

-Calen teaches you how to make the seal go from black to white, but you can make the color change from blue to red, or red to black - vice-versa - blue to black - vice-versa -, ect...if you like. Now, I like the added layer of visual aspect Color has, it's something the spectator doesn't see coming, and it's one of those things where the spectator can't really question you on (sounds confusing)... What I mean is, they can't really put their on how it could be done, because the seal was a different color to begin with. I like this on as well.

Slide- A small sticker is placed on the left side of the box, with shake to the right it slides over to the right side.

-I liked how this looked in the demo, it takes the aspect of the gimmick to a different level - it uses it in a different way. Instead of vanishing/changing the seal, you decide to use the seal in a different way, as well. Very cool.

MR. Fix It- The seal was misplace on the left side of the box, but you visually fix it and move it back to the center.

-Another quickie. Makes sense - the seal is moved back the center. Very nice.

*As you can see, there's many effects possible with Steal - the only problem I find is that since there's so much possible with Steal, you can't dislike anything you can perform with it, because everything looks so good. Great job, Calen. Smile

the.CONCLUSION

Since most (card) magicians carry cards with them, why not do something with the seal/box (?) - As Calen described, "A perfect opening effect for any card routine!" - this is very true and what's also true is if you carry cards with you (all, most, or some) of the time, than you'll DEFINITELY enjoy and love performing Steal. As from my review, I really like Steal.

the.SCORE

I'm becoming a fan of Steal quickly and since I carry cards with me, it works wonders for me. I will give Steal a...9/10 - the possibilities, the visual aspect, the notes (look above), ect... really make Steal shine.

RECOMMENDED

the.LINK

Steal by Calen Morelli (Booklet and Supplied Gimmicks)
Guillotine+ASYLUM
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Whoa, nice review Jv. I'm sure many would be convinced to buy this trick. Indeed it is so visual, easy to handle and open to many possibilities of routines.

I love the color changing seals. From blue to black but now I'm waiting for my red seals. So it would be red to black/blue.

I also have another routine with this. We start with half seal on the right of the box and the other half is on the left. With a little shake, the both go into the middle forming a full seal.

Or, we start and show the seal in the middle has been broken or the deck has been used. With a little shake, the seal becomes whole again and we open it, it shows a brand new deck, still in order including the two advertisement cards from USPCC.

Those two are pretty strong especially the color changing one.

Hope it helps.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Just got two more routines for those who have this.

Fly Off:

Start by using left hand pointing the seal on the box held on the right hand. Then we shake the box up (not too much), while our left hand makes a gesture of catching something in the air, a bit further from the box would make the routine looks better.

Point using your left index finger to the box that the seal is now gone. Open your left palm, the seal is now there, both pieces Smile

Bumping Boxes:

For this, we will need two gimmick with different setup. Best if we use different color boxes. I don't want to reveal here, but from the routine it is pretty much very easy to figure it out.

Start by putting both boxes in ready condition, and show the red box has a seal, while the blue box doesn't have any seal. Flashing it around and be easy so they won't suspect about your gimmick.

Then put them parallel so the red box is behind the blue box. Just like two cars queuing up. Do some gestures by pretending you'll crash the red box to the rear/back side of the blue box. Just like before you swing your golf stick.

Once you're ready, hit it (slowly manner) but quick to cover the movement of the gimmick, and release the gimmick (both of them). And now the seal will end up on the blue box while the red box now doesn't have any seal.

I haven't done this routine but it's do-able. Easy to construct and the handling is pretty much the same as the original routines.

Steal is one of the best purchase I've got it so far. Visual, easy handling and always ready to perform. No setup, just get ready and you'll amaze your audience.

Hope it helps Smile
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Oh, I love Movement Routine, but I still use the cellophane. So when they saw the seal has moved to the other end of the deck INSIDE or under the cellophane, they just couldn't believe their eyes.
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
*** only just discovered this and its no longer available

Anyone know if there are any plans to re release on it's own or as part of a project ?
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Yep, it does look nice, any info would be appreciated.
dlemberg
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, WA
31 Posts

Profile of dlemberg
Calen, was in my shop last week for a workshop and made me up 6 boxes and gave me permission to copy his booklet and sell the little guys. I have six in stock on my web site. I asked Calen if he was going to re-release this and he does not know, he has so many other things that he is working on. First six to order get these shipped out today. http://magicplace.us/steal-by-calen-morelli-p-11214.html
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Are there demos of some of the other effects besides "Melting Point" viewable elsewhere?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Steal by Calen Morelli (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL