The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hey Check this 3Fly out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Doc Docherty
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
70 Posts

Profile of Doc Docherty
Hi my buddy Chastain just released a new effect called Phlye ... for all you three fly fans out there this is one of the cleanest displays of the plot I have ever seen ... three go across and three are shown .... plus there is a kicker ending that will shock you ... check it out at http://www.magicbyenigma.com/phlye.html

I like this and don't even do much coin stuff!

Doc
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
That looks really nice, Doc. Thanks for sharing.
Sammy J. Teague
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
499 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Same guy that did Cartel Coins. Nice Effect. Thanks for the tip Doc.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I'd like to see a more open handling between phases. Otherwise, it comes across as so much mechanics.
jbz
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of jbz
That looks great! Thanks for sharing!
majikrob
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of majikrob
Looks cool but why half dollars?
jbz
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of jbz
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 20:43, majikrob wrote:
Looks cool but why half dollars?

Half dollars are pretty standard among many effects. Guess they just chose it because most people are familiar with it.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8839 Posts

Profile of funsway
The only thing missing is showing each hand empty except for the three coins after each transport. This can be done without a gimmick -- so why so much money?

Like all such demos I want to know what comes next. Can the coins be passed out? Can they be dropped cleanly on the table?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
You are better off with Marion Grandpa's Coins for $ 12 Dollars!Why spend
$ 225 or even a $1000 on this.You can do the same thing with no Gaffe
gimmick and real bigger coins.

Marion is better save the money.

Paul
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
There's a boat that some of us have missed here. Showing the hands empty between the phases doesn't strengthen the routine, especially if you are able to show the hands empty at the END of the routine. The ability to hand the coins out at the end isn't required if you can show the coins prior to doing the magic. If we're going to discuss non gimmicked versions, then lets talk about Daryl's T 3Fly III, Dr. Rubinstein's Retro Fly, or any of the other sleight of hand versions that have a specific goal in mind, aside from getting the coins from one hand to the other.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Hi Eric,

I am not so sure I missed the boat. Smile

My comment was more on the tightness of the hands and the slightly couched handling.

U3F allows the coins to be shown before and throughout the routine and only "three" coins at the beginning and end with no ditching. With a little creative sleight of hand, so does my routine. Smile

So that is not the issue. Clean displays, however created, do help the routine.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Meh.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 15:27, KirkG wrote:
Hi Eric,

I am not so sure I missed the boat. Smile

My comment was more on the tightness of the hands and the slightly couched handling.

U3F allows the coins to be shown before and throughout the routine and only "three" coins at the beginning and end with no ditching. With a little creative sleight of hand, so does my routine. Smile

So that is not the issue. Clean displays, however created, do help the routine.

Kirk, while I agree the handling isn't 100% per this video, I still think clean displays for cleanliness sake don't always help. I think spectators believe throughout 3fly routines that a third coin is in play the entire time. Some would argue that by showing the hands free at every junction combats this. I used to agree. More recently, I feel that creating the mystery, and even creating the suspicion that a extra may be hidden in the hand could aid the effect even more when the coins are displayed at THE END of the routine. I PERSONALLY have been spending more and more time reflecting on that old qoute, "the wicked flee when none pursue...." I think this applies here....but Chas...you handling COULD be a bit more loose..... Smile
<BR>
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Daryl's 3 fly III and Dr. Rubinstien's are much beter.Everone copies where the
trick first came from and makes money off of it.The person who came up with
the trick first didn't think it would be this popular.
Navy
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Navy
I would like to review Cartel coins then Phlye (pronounced fly)

Customer Review by Jerry Foster

Watching over the years, Chastain increasing his repertoire of close-up magic has made me proud to know and watch Criswell's magic and mind expand. Cartel Coins evolved over a period of time from close-up magic to parlor. A series of three sets are now on the market, dealing with an English Penny and a Kennedy Half, or, if you are into the beauty of classy coins like the Walking Liberty and English Penny; that's a set for the Pro. The newest level is a Morgan Silver Dollar and a Rupee. The latter of the three coins sets now allow Cartel Coins to be performed in a parlor sized setting. Your audience will be startled and awed when they see the coins mystically change places. All explained very well on DVD. Stand by, Chastain, the magician's magician has a bunch of ideas with another coin illusions. I've seen it, and want it, but it is not out yet. I do own all three sets of Cartel Coins. This is 21st century coin magic. I give it two thumb tips up.

Phlye can be purchased at this time with three English Pennies or Three Kennedy Half Dollars. The three coins start out in either the right hand or left. Which ever you are comfortable with. Through a series of very open moves, the coins one by one will travel to the opposite hand. Looks great in the mirror when practicing.
The DVD you will receive goes over every move. Chastain certainly did a great job with Phlye. I highly recommend Phlye for any close up worker.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 18:44, paul007007 wrote:
Daryl's 3 fly III and Dr. Rubinstien's are much beter.Everone copies where the
trick first came from and makes money off of it.The person who came up with
the trick first didn't think it would be this popular.

While Jon probably didn't think his original would have spawned as many variations as it has, I'm sure he's got to be proud to know there are STILL people who respect his initial vision for the effect.
<BR>
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
I have to agree with Kirk and disagree with Eric's idea that "Showing the hands empty between the phases doesn't strengthen the routine, especially if you are able to show the hands empty at the END of the routine."

In my experience, doing Three Fly without clean shows DURING the routine creates the immediate suspicion of an extra coin hidden behind the fingers. This suspicion seriously erodes the magical effect as it unfolds -- the last thing I want to do, even if I can "dissuade" them at the end by showing just three coins.

This is why, as soon as it came out, I switched to Bob Kohler's Ultimate Three-Fly. When spectators see a coin fly from one hand to the other, and you immediately show the correct number of coins in your open hands, it erases the most obvious explanation (extra coin) immediately.

I believe this makes the whole routine seem more magical. To underline the fairness, and as noted by Kirk, with U3F you can also cleanly display three coins at the start and at the end. And throughout the routine, you avoid having the spectator think he's caught you.

Eric says "More recently, I feel that creating the mystery, and even creating the suspicion that a extra may be hidden in the hand could aid the effect even more when the coins are displayed at THE END of the routine." Myself, I see no advantage in this approach. And when you do show just three coins at the end . . . does it dispel suspicion or just act as a slap in the spectator's face? (Ha ha! I the magician win!)

Cheers,
Jerry
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Very cogent thoughts Jerry, and not just because you agree with me. Smile

You did give very good voice to the idea, why have them distracted by the worry of an extra coin all along and the slapping them in the face (maybe too strong an analogy) by showing that nener nener, nope only 3.

Eric, I don't know if you still can edit the typo in your response to me where you said third coin when you meant fourth. I think most will be able to follow what you meant, but you never know. Smile

I think it is important to reinforce the idea that there are just three coins in play, from the beginning and through the routine and then end. This also gives them a breather moment to strengthen in their mind where the one coin is and the two coins are. So when that situation changes, the magic is all the more real.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Kirk, folks, if you show them three coins to start and you don't give them any reason to wonder if you somehow got more coins from somewhere ... they are not going to expect you have a coinpurse, a pack of cards and three superballs in your hands either. One strategy, if you get the coins from a coinbox or purse, is to spill out the contents which include a fourth coin, and set that aside in plain view or ask them to hand you coins one at a time till you have three at your fingertips. They know how many coins are on the table and how many you picked up. Whether or not you took a moment to acquire others/gaffs/swap out the lot via stealth needs to be far outside their concerns IMHO.

When it comes to presenting magic; if you are hiding behind the trick/effect - they may want to see more and go exploring. If you are standing in front of the trick/effect inviting them to see the magic ( and the tricks look magical without distraction ) the audience is far less likely to spoil their own fun.

Just my two cents (and a blackout in EG) Smile

The phlye approach looks great and I wish folks the best finding clever uses of the new tools. Wildcoin(s), routines where you need to cleanly vanish six coins... so much to try. Have fun.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 21:59, KirkG wrote:
Very cogent thoughts Jerry, and not just because you agree with me. Smile

You did give very good voice to the idea, why have them distracted by the worry of an extra coin all along and the slapping them in the face (maybe too strong an analogy) by showing that nener nener, nope only 3.

Eric, I don't know if you still can edit the typo in your response to me where you said third coin when you meant fourth. I think most will be able to follow what you meant, but you never know. Smile

I think it is important to reinforce the idea that there are just three coins in play, from the beginning and through the routine and then end. This also gives them a breather moment to strengthen in their mind where the one coin is and the two coins are. So when that situation changes, the magic is all the more real.

I would usually agree with you.....but....I have been playing with different rhythms and ideas to make the routine play differently for my audiences. More often than not, and whether they say it or not, after the first coin goes across, they know at that moment there is an extra coin. Even if they can't see it, they know it's there. I know this because people aren't stupid. They know there's something going on. They know they can't catch it. But for those who are insistant on trying, my experimentation has involved playing with this notion, to make the overall effect even stronger. I hope I can show you what I mean one day in person. Until then, I'm satisfied with agreeing to disagree.

Respectfully,

Eric
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hey Check this 3Fly out (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL