The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Bikes 808 vs standard bicycle decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
One more attempt to figure out the difference between old-trusted 808 bike deck and standard bike deck in re-designed box.

I notices there is a change in the "feel" of those new bikes or I just got hold of some lower quality shipment
Do you know if old rider 808 bikes are still available for purchase in the US like Target or Walmart?

thanks
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
The box is different.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
acuster
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of acuster
I think there is a quality control issue. I bought a box of 12 from Costco about a year ago and despite the box looking different, the cards themselves felt "normal". However, a friend of mine recently got a box from Sam's Club, and the cards felt REALLY off, extremely flimsy. They were warping in his hands after only a few shuffles. I'm not the most picky person when it comes to the way cards feel, and I think 808's are generally fine...but these were truly awful. My friend actually peeled a few cards to get a look at the stock. The stock itself was flimsy.

Unfortunately, I think the stock of "old" boxes (indicating different lots of cards, etc.) is all bought up. I don't see them in Target, Walmart, etc. I think you have two choices: either continue buying 808s, and praying that you got a good batch, or switch to another brand (which is a pain if you have 808 gaffs, etc.). This seems to be a long standing issue with 808's, as you can see in another thread (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=316943&forum=203).

I'm going to talk to my friend about trying to send in the "crap" deck with the Ace and see if they honor a replacement (and how that replacement holds up). Unless he's already returned his case to Sam's Club.

We've decided to blow a bunch of cash on 144 Arrcos (US Reg) together and try and avoid this issue. I'm hoping that USPCC gets their act together.

Hope that helps.

andy
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
QC with Bicycle and USPCC in general has long been an issue. It's not the newer box cards, 808 or anything. Its USPCC. It's annoying, but if you want to use your custom gaffs, you have no other option.
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Thanks for the reply.
I also noticed the worse feel of the cards 910 decks I got) and their annoying stiffeness came from the Erlanger, KY stock. (Coincidence?)I just opened up a Cininnati bike deck and things were fine again.

You're right, I have lots of rider backed gaffs and it would be quite hard to switch to different cards ditching some of the cool gimmick-oriented stuff. However, I tried Tallys Fan Back during a couple of shows and they handle great.

Thanks once more for the reply and I hope the US Card Company will get things right with this quality control issue,

Pawel
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Acuster, I read the thread on the bike quality and I just hope my unfortunate 10-deck unpleasant surprise is over,

Pawel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Bikes 808 vs standard bicycle decks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL