The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Comedy Mentalism Rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Iain,

And that video clip is related because . . . ?
Dick Christian
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well...

its a vent-doll...
the film is about a magician with mental problems...
there's a cracking presentation of do-as-i-do...
you can see a very interesting premise for any magic/mind reading premise in certain scenes...
its got anthony hopkins in it!
I've asked to be banned
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Nice clip Iain
I hadn't seen that in a long while.

Dick.
I take no offence from your posts. Just the forethrightness (made-up-word) of the first one took me by surprise a little.

The fact that I gave no context in which the rabbit would be used didn't help anyone make subjective comments.

The fact is, and maybe I should have phrased the initial question better, I was trying to ascertain if there was any context in which a rabbit could fit into a mentalism act.
Basically as a little light to balance the seriousness of the rest of the proceedings.
Although they are not too serious. No moody seances or such, not yet. And if my act was in that vein then, no I wouldn't be thinking of putting rabbits in.

I'm grateful for everyone who's taken the time to comment.
I never expected this topic to run to 2 pages.

Maybe it would help if I uploaded a picture of the rabbit Smile

Steve
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Steve,

While seances and some bizarre effects are considered within the broad realm of "mentalism" (or what I prefer to call "psychic entertainment") they aren't what I think of as "mainstream" mentalism (i.e., mindreading, etc.).

When I refer to "serious" mentalism, I don't mean to suggest a "dark" or "heavy"
context, but rather reflect my assumption that the performer wants to be perceived as "credible" -- not necessarily to challenge or change the audience's beliefs -- but to at least suggest that he just MIGHT really possess the abilities he is purporting to demonstrate; i.e., that there is the possibility that he is doing something that transcends mere "clever tricks." Not that he necessarily wants to CONVINCE anyone that what he does is doing is really REAL -- but that he wants them at least to WONDER if it just MIGHT be.

As I mentioned in my last note, I think comedy definitely not only has a place in such a "mainstream" mentalism performance but add to their entertainment value and help prevent such programs from being too serious or academic; however, IMO there are more subtle and sophisticated patter and bits of business than a rabbit puppet that can serve that purpose.
Dick Christian
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Dick and everyone,
Thank you for taking the time out to give your views.
I do understand and appreciate what you're saying, even if it's not apparent from my posts.

I have looked at a lot of mentalists for inspiration but have not yet found my persona. When I do it probably won't have a rabbit for company, but never say never.
As I said before this has been more of a thinking aloud exercise for me,
and the thinking will continue.

For anyone interested, here's the rabbit....

Steve

Steve

Click here to view attached image.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
993 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
I do not have plans to include a puppet in my act...but if I did, I would first learn to handle the puppet like an expert.

Then I would develop a character for the puppet that is as strongly defined as my own.

Next, I would select an effect that would reflect both the puppet's character AND MY OWN.

After that, I would write a solid script that includes plenty of humor, drama, tension and a bit of conflict.

Then I would rehearse the routine endlessly until I could comfortably do the whole presentation in my sleep.

Finally, I would try it out in front of an audience...completely ready to can the whole thing and start over if necessary.

But, that's just me. Good luck with this.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thanks Mick

Steve
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Quote:
On 2010-04-08 13:10, steveline wrote:
Dick and everyone,
Thank you for taking the time out to give your views.
I do understand and appreciate what you're saying, even if it's not apparent from my posts.

I have looked at a lot of mentalists for inspiration but have not yet found my persona. When I do it probably won't have a rabbit for company, but never say never.
As I said before this has been more of a thinking aloud exercise for me,
and the thinking will continue.

For anyone interested, here's the rabbit....

Steve

Steve

How dare you upload a saucy image like that to the Café. An unshaven rabbit, with its legs splayed out like that, chest heaving up and down (photographed in mid-heave) and a clear "come hither" look on its pouty lips. You should be ashamed!

Plushies everywhere are drooling while children are corrupted.
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Funny the rabbit (being psychic) said that he/she (I haven't worked that out yet) got the impression you were a bit of a hunk yourself

S
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3811 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2010-04-07 14:56, Lord Of The Horses wrote:

I would be surprised to see Christian Chelman or the late Punx to mix their bizarre magick with Collard but then I'm old enough to know Christian could jump in this topic and tell me he actually did!

You ain't see me having fun selling card ducks as the best magic trick in the world... Acting is everything.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
See ?? cavalli done well to be open to possibilities:

I also cannot imagine you selling card ducks but I take your word for it: lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Comedy Mentalism Rabbit (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL