The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Magic Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Hi, It's been a year since I discover magic and half a year since I work professionally. I'm still discovering many things and areas of magic, and I will continue discovering things until the day I die, that's for sure.

I've read about rope magic in the Tarbell course and now I found "self working rope magic", I thought that I gotta have at least one rope routine in my show, I use to do the professors nightmare, but It was too short and the impact wasnt that good...

Well, the thing is I like rope magic and I learned a routine with a Jeff McBride dvd, but I didn't like the fact of doing a silent rutine, only with music. And I always think about a patter for rope magic... Because If I don't have a patter on my mind I don't even think about performing it

I know that if performed for kids, it should be fun... But when I do magic for adults, I enter a more misterious ambient, because comedy is a tough thing for me...

Finally, ideas for a patter? or maybe a book with a good patter? Comedy patter maybe?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would suggest Sterling's Short and Long Rope routine from Abbott Encyclopedia of Magic or they sell just the instructions on their site. It is a very funny routine.

Daryl's Rope Routine is excellent, it is on one of his rope videos, don't get the poster instructions they are worthless to learn from.

I would also suggest you look at Michael Finney's act, you will see it is not always jokes and such but interaction with the spectator on stage with you.

Just because Jeff McBride wished to perform a routine silent, does not mean it cannot be done with patter. This is something that you learn by doing. Just start doing your rope trick and see what develops, start with discriptive and develope from there.

There are a lot of books on patter, but what if you don't like any of the patter. Sleight of Tongue is one that has a lot of lines, see Daytona Magic.
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Thank you very much, very very much.

Although I'm a beginner but already working professionally, I'm afraid I can't buy books so easyly, because of the money (US$ is worth twice a brazilian Real) and the distance.. It usually takes about a month or so to get here. But will get those on my wishlist!

Still, a friend of my father sent me a Higeo Takagi manuscript containing a beatiful rope routine that I think it will suit me very well. Now I commited myself to master it and set it up with a patter for children and for adults

I will do some research on abbot, daryl and finney as well. I liked daryl's acrobatic knot, after watching a few times, I realised I could do it at home (like most of my props)... I think I'll give a try.

My sincere thanks

Dante D,
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you have libraries in your country, then they should have some beginner magic books on the shelves. I suggest you try the library.

I would not call myself a professional, if I have no money and no knowledge of the Magic Art. Thinking you can figure out magic tricks by watching promo videos is rather rare, as they edit all the bad parts of this nature.

Definition of a Professional is making his total income from performing magic shows and appearances. Then getting paid enough money to support yourself and family from the earned income.

If you want free information on magic tricks, I suggest you seek the sites that offer this service. Here on the Café, we can suggest resources, but not give away information.

You mentioned you have referenced Tarbell Course, in the books, they give suggested patter for effects, a good starting point.
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Quote:
I would not call myself a professional, if I have no money and no knowledge of the Magic Art. Thinking you can figure out magic tricks by watching promo videos is rather rare, as they edit all the bad parts of this nature.

Definition of a Professional is making his total income from performing magic shows and appearances. Then getting paid enough money to support yourself and family from the earned income.

If you want free information on magic tricks, I suggest you seek the sites that offer this service. Here on the Caf�, we can suggest resources, but not give away information.

I believe we never learn it all, but still I have some knowledge, I'm starting yes, but I work intensily at home, I always think of the show like 20% of the work. I have no children to support, only myself and I do that only with magic shows, luckily I am only stage/children magician in my town here in Brazil. Plus, close-up magic here is not common, its the stage show the one laymen want, wich is more expensive (and harder for a begginer) to build up

My father is a magician and he supports the family with magic since 25 years. O also have another mentor who performs magic since the sixties and knew Tamariz, Fumanchu, Lavand, Ascanio and others. We have old books, written a long time ago in spanish. They are kept as gold. Magic in Paraguay and Brazil is still a rare thing.

I'm the only one in the paraguaian among them (the only magicians in paraguay) who speak and reads english, and little by little we are buying magic books from the US as well dvds and props.

No disrespect at all, but my income is going now on other things like per example an electric energy generator. Since it's a professional show, I try to cover all possible problems, last thing I bought was another remote control for the ipod, or the 12' linking rings. I can't buy it all at the same time.

I'm not looking for free magic tricks around the net and I do not entered the café looking for giveaways, I know that books or mentors are the way to learn magic and I entered to share ideas and opinions with other magicians. Believe the other magiians from paraguay are always asking me things that are talked about in the café. Please understand that the magic resources here are very very low. The only southamerican country that has quality products and translated books is Argentina, still, when we can, we buy things from there.

I hope you understand me. Someday if you come to Paraguay I'm sure you'll get the picture of the difficulty of learning magic around here without a mentor.

Well, back to the topic, yes, the Tarbell course was a great investment and read something everyday. Searching info on higeo takagi, I readed that he got an standing ovation for his rope routine, I wonder if its the same I'm learning.

thanks again and I hope you really understand my situation.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The global resources of the net allow you to have a world of mentors. From online tutorial to just watching great routines. Your isolation in Paraguay should not be an issue.
Oh, and once you have been paid you are considered a professional, same as sports.
Not how often, or how much, but just the fact that you have been paid.
It does not also matter how good, or proficient but a matter of money.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Of course, that's what I'm saying, thanks to the Internet and credit cards, we can buy books, dvds and live lessons. Everything costs money, and as I said, I can't buy it all at the same time. And having mentors myself like my father and his colleagues, still I'm open to get some lessons online too, why not?

I am being paid, if that's one of the reasons to consider a professional, I was tryng to explain that to wmhegbli. I think there are other things that constitutes professional entertainment besides being paid. But that's off topic.

I believe that when anyone started with magic didn't bought tarbell, mark wilsons, stars of magic, true ashtoniments, rice's enciclopedia, daryl's dvds, all the props, scenario, clothing, etc, at once. The issue is not isolation, but time to learn, practice, practice, perform, avaliate yourself, change ideas, etc. Now, Tarbell and my mentors are more than enough to get some ideas.

the café its a great place to exchange ideas and I know its not a place to take advantage from others

with all respect.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You said that you have a Shageo Takagi manuscript of a rope trick. What rope trick was that?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Al, I have a manuscript tranlated by shigeo futugawa, 1987. Described as "rope routine"

It's a different handling of the C&R rope routine I think. Spectator cuts the rope in the midle, then its un even, he makes it even, then is uneven again, make it even, its uneven again then you restore rope.

cut again in the midle, this time you hold each piece in each hand, tie a knot, slide the knot off the rope to restore it.

cut again, tie a knot, slide the knot, slide it to its original possition and untie it again.

then you make 2 pieces of rope with knots in the middle with espectator helping with the cutting... (as if there were 4 pieces), handing one to the espectator. then at the same time you and spectator slide the knot.

I'm saving for shigeo's "amazing miracles". This and his wild card are the only tricks I know of him, and I really want to know more of his work.
best regards
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I know English is not your first language, but you are doing a good job of it. I do "The Vishnu Rope Mystery" by Bob Ellis as handled by Takagi, and it is my favorite rope trick.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
I'm taking a look at the vishnu rope mysetry in Fulves book now, and it's great!

I'm starting with rope magic and I'll give a try, that's for sure. Now I'm really into this routine I have. Very convincing and "happy ending"
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
You may get some patter ideas from this routine--The Mongolian Pop-Knot--which does include the Professor's Nightmare, even though you were not really looking for a comedy approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMOkWUM7yI&feature=related
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Thank you Mr. Haydn. Just today I saw that video posted in another topic and its a fantastic routine.

Comedy is always welcome.

Sincerely,

Dante D.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You could go along with the presentation method of the late Billy McComb and Pat Page. In a few of there acts/routines, they tell some funny long joke with a punch line at the climax.

Billy McComb presented his Gypsy Thread whild sitting of a stool, and telling a long store, most the time I was watching the tread, I never heard the story.

Pat Page uses a 'tail' joke during his torn and restored newspaper.

In both cases the joke or story has very little if anything to do with the trick being show.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hi Dante,

and welcome to the café. I've found finding pattern to a magic effect can be done in four different ways, maybe even more..., but I don't know them yet.

Either in relationship with the object you're using : rope. It could be a rope that you use to keep yourself fit & healthy, doing sport or for children a rope you use to play with when you were a kid. Try to find out what else could represent the rope you're using, maybe you were in the NAVY in didn't get it to make solid knots, so you ended up as an entertainer...with all those slippy knots.

The pattern could be aswell in relationship with the effect : cutting, restoring, changing the size ..., just because you need a special length of rope to do something.

The third one is the one, that Bill stated already. Just a story or some funny lines, but not really in relationship with the prop involved.

If you check out Michael Finney's Lady Rope Routine and Pop Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot Routine, which by the way are both very funny, you'll se that they use the teaching plot.

Oliver.
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Thanks a lot Oliver and Bill. Michael Finney's act has some very funny stuff!

I've decided to try ventriloquism with the spectator since he doesn't say much, just "yes, no, ok". Never done that though, I think It's good way to start since, like I said, the spectator doesn't say much.

I'm having more kids shows, than adults. And I don't do the rope routine with kids.

But the next show for adults I'll definitely give it a try.

thanks again!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think you should consider doing Rope tricks for the kids. It is always their most talked about tricks after the show.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
862 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2010-04-29 22:51, wmhegbli wrote:
I think you should consider doing Rope tricks for the kids. It is always their most talked about tricks after the show.

Prof's Nightmare with 3 worms.. Name the 'worms' and get the kids to shout out the names of the 'worms' as you count them.. works great
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Since I've only worked with the Shigeo Takagi routine, it didn't fit for the kids since it uses long pieces of rope.

I think Daryl's acrobatic knot is more suitable for the kids.

I'll think about a 'worm' patter. Never thought about that! do you think that the profs nightmare must have the equal-unequal-equal transformation or just 2 phase equal-unequal transformation?

I thought about it a lot and still don't know about this... For sure there must be a topic around here that already talked about this...

well, thanks again!
tombola
View Profile
New user
Gothenburg, Sweden
51 Posts

Profile of tombola
Hello Dante, this routine that David Copperfield does sounds pretty simular to the Shigeo Takagi routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqI9QXWvco

I'm not into rope-magic at all, maybe I'm totally wrong, but maybe it can give further patter-ideas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Magic Patter (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL