The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pass Trainer (Steel Deck) by Hondo (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I thought this was an April Fool's joke. How many wold feel dumb ordering/using this?

OK,I know Derek Dingle used two pieces of would to practice the pass. But to order this would be...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S12203

The Effect
Effect: Pass Trainer can train your hands to be stronger. A normal deck will fell like a sponge after training. It makes doing the pass or other card sleight of hand easier.

Includes: 8 steel slabs

Training: Practice the pass or another card sleight of hand you like with the steel deck. Be careful not to hurt yourself or other people. Every time you train, just keep practicing for 15 to 30 minutes and then rest, not too long. Take a normal deck and it will feel like a 'sponge' deck, so light and so handleable.

Other Thoughts: It doesn't only train your hands but also can be used for magic routines such as Ambitious Card. I used to ask the spectator to sign on the steel face, and then perform Ambitious Card by doing pass, even double lift.
~Joe
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Ha! Who says you can't geek on magic and pump iron at the same time?

Actually, I think this is pretty clever. It also might be good for learning fancy cuts and flourishes.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 19:50, Joe Mauro wrote:
I thought this was an April Fool's joke. How many wold feel dumb ordering/using this?

OK,I know Derek Dingle used two pieces of would to practice the pass. But to order this would be...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S12203

The Effect
Effect: Pass Trainer can train your hands to be stronger. A normal deck will fell like a sponge after training. It makes doing the pass or other card sleight of hand easier.

Includes: 8 steel slabs

Training: Practice the pass or another card sleight of hand you like with the steel deck. Be careful not to hurt yourself or other people. Every time you train, just keep practicing for 15 to 30 minutes and then rest, not too long. Take a normal deck and it will feel like a 'sponge' deck, so light and so handleable.

Other Thoughts: It doesn't only train your hands but also can be used for magic routines such as Ambitious Card. I used to ask the spectator to sign on the steel face, and then perform Ambitious Card by doing pass, even double lift.

Well. Maybe it's a joke for you, but I really practice with them. I also use them to do Ambitious Stainless Card routine for people by pass and DL technique. People really love it and it seems more impossible for them.

In fact, we almost make no money from this product. The stainless metal is much more expansive than it was, and they are so heavy that Murphy's agent would cry when he sees the shipping cost bill. If we want to make money, we should sell them for maybe $50 or $60. But what we want is just people can get them more easily.
Before you laugh at this, please think about why and how it is presented.
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
"I thought this was an April Fool's joke. How many wold feel dumb ordering/using this? "

I can understand what you mean with April Fools jokes.

Maxwell is having a bit of fun over there.

He had the pretty girl delivery option.

Now on foreign shipping,he has an option where he will personally deliver the package for $2000.04.

Lucky I pressed the right button on my order.

It's good to see someone having a bit of fun.

These blocks are not part of the frivolity though.

It's a bit like putting weights on coins to practice the muscle pass, which some magicians do.
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Akira Fujii came out with the same thing a few years ago:

http://www.ginjapan.com/eg/products/psp.htm

I believe these were only available in Japan though.
David Leon
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of David Leon
Actually these are a pretty good thing. I don't work with cards much but when I work with these for a while and a deck of cards feel like air in your hands. A friend of mine who is a professional card magician has used them for a while and really loved it. It isn’t a joke and can help those that are serious about their practice.
Now since they are heavy, shipping costs may be a bit high.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Thanks everyone for the posts. I really thought it was a joke, but ti makes sense. Like when batters use the heavy rings and then after they remove them, the bat is lighter.

Penguin...SHIPS FOR FREE!! Another reason to shop with them!
~Joe
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Can someone PM me if they know of a store with these in stock at the moment. My usual sources are sold out.

Cheers
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Interesting possibilities there.
Reminds me of Penn & Teller's giant steel deck that they shuffled with a fork lift.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Hi Hondo,

Everyone seems to be sold out. Can be buy direct from you? Do you know when you will be shipping them out again. This looks great!
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
I only have enough money for this, or the Crystal Card Press (might go with the latter)...mostly considering the latter to keep my cards healthy.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Hi, everyone.
I'll try my best to ship them to Murphy's before this Friday. Maybe every dealer will have them in stock 10 days later.
If you are interested in this stuff and really need it, just add it into the cart. I don't know how expansive in the future the price of metal will be. You should buy it when it doesn't become too expansive.

Hondo
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Building up the muscles in your hand is somewhat counter productive for a sleight that doesn't require additional hand strength, like (for example) a Pinky Count.
It may even be detrimental, in that developing muscles in the hand that don't need development could potentially make the tyro unintentionally clumsy.

The Pass, like most advanced sleights requires two things...... micro-muscle control, and advanced muscle-memory.

It's not a "strength" move.

I would postulate that the research that has gone into investigating the physical development of the muscles in the hand by using this steel deck as those muscles relate to the skills needed to actually become proficient at The Pass........well, I would guess that investigative research is pretty much zero.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
But someone in Penguin put a review and said these slabs gave him cuts. Are these really that sharp? I wish I could train my fingers to be stronger so I can do DL without hesitation.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Quote:
On 2010-04-21 12:26, silverking wrote:
Building up the muscles in your hand is somewhat counter productive for a sleight that doesn't require additional hand strength, like (for example) a Pinky Count.
It may even be detrimental, in that developing muscles in the hand that don't need development could potentially make the tyro unintentionally clumsy.

The Pass, like most advanced sleights requires two things...... micro-muscle control, and advanced muscle-memory.

It's not a "strength" move.

I would postulate that the research that has gone into investigating the physical development of the muscles in the hand by using this steel deck as those muscles relate to the skills needed to actually become proficient at The Pass........well, I would guess that investigative research is pretty much zero.

I see what you are saying, but I must respectfully disagree. Weighted cards (in this case, steel slabs) will hypertrophy extensor/flexor/thenar/hypothenar muscles required for sleights at a fast rate. If you are practicing every intricate detail required for passes or DL's, the smaller muscle fibers will increase naturally, thereby drastically increasing the said micro-muscle control.

If you are merely lifting weights to exercise your wrist, or using a gripper to increase musculature in your hands (say, for a classic palm), then only your grip strength will increase, and while the deck may feel lighter, it is true in that case you will not have increased dexterity in any way. This wouldn't be the case here, because you are repeating all the movements you would with a deck of cards.

I think an appropriate example in my experience would be with piano. If you have ever tried playing on something like an old Estonia, whose keys are difficult to press (the equivalent of practicing using weighted slabs), and just practice a Chopin piece on it, it is not easy at first but you get used to it. Then, if you switch to something extraordinary such as a Steinway (the equivalent of switching back to your regular Tallys or Bikes), you will not be slowed or marred in any way - in fact, playing that Chopin polonaise becomes incredibly easy, with all tremelos and trills (rapid movements) becoming like water.

I hope that makes sense!
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Zachary
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Zachary
I practice my pressure fan and card springs with these... They seem infinitely easier when I switch back to a normal deck. These are nothing short of an absolute necessity for the working pro. Smile
Twitter:@Zachary_Heath
Instagram: @zachheathmagic
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Hi, everyone.
It would be back in stock in next week because I've shipped them today.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Interesting - Who could have thought of!

Although not a "card acrobat" I would like to play with this. And if some heckler is there, just smack him with those! The Ace of Spades will be revealed on his face!

Just kidding of course.

Well done Hondo,

Sensio
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Is this also good for practicing double-lift?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
If you put in the time to master springing the cards with this deck, you'll be ready for anything.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pass Trainer (Steel Deck) by Hondo (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL