The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Opinion on best linking Safety Pins? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 11:23, dave wrote:

I watched the Bernstein demo a few times now and it looks to me that the pins are not together at all as he separates them?

The pins are together as they are separated.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
The Bernstein routine is pretty much Dan Garrett's routine (available on the Sheet's DVD Grab That Pinhead), plus and ending where he links his finger ring on one of the pins.

Having learned the Andrus routine, I have to say that Dan's routine, as performed by Dan or Bob Sheets, is amazing.
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
What are the thoughts on the Mad Hatters Timco Linking Safety Pins. Has anyone handled these. He says they can be handed out and examined all they want. Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsqtI02qu08
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2021, skyfire wrote:
What are the thoughts on the Mad Hatters Timco Linking Safety Pins. Has anyone handled these. He says they can be handed out and examined all they want. Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsqtI02qu08

I don't think all of the pins can be examined. Having said that, the routine has it's good points.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Slydini's and Sol Stone's routine. The gimmick is different than Andrus's.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
My two favorites after years of playing with these routines are Grab that Pinhead by Sheets and Garrett and Geaton Bloom’s pin routine. An added bonus is that the pins can be examined after both routines, though, I never hand them out because of the convincing nature of both .
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
What set of linking pins uses the cut pin opposite the end where the pin actually opens and closes?
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2022, magicbyswh wrote:
What set of linking pins uses the cut pin opposite the end where the pin actually opens and closes?

The Jerry Andrus pins.
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
I'm not one to usually chime in about credits, but I do think it is worth noting, for reference, that Jerry Andrus actually used a gaff that was published 11 years previously to his routine being released.

It was first detailed in an issue of Phoenix and then later described in Bruce Elliott's "Magic As A Hobby", which is where I first encountered it, which was contributed by the book's editor.

The reason for mentioning it is, if you 'follow the breadcrumbs' there is more unmined gold to be found!

Without doubt, Jerry Andrus popularised safety pin magic and his work is seminal, providing the springboard for many routines, gaffed and ungaffed. Likewise, many routines using the 's**t pin' go back further than usually recognised.

The linking safety pins is a fantastic effect to have in the close-up magician's bag of tricks and something that is really quite astonishing to laymen if played well, but I will say the real challenge with it is to make it as engaging as possible, which is something I continue to work on after 25 years of using it!

Alan
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Opinion on best linking Safety Pins? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL