The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Can you manage ten parties most weekends? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
To do 10 kid shows in a weekend, you must have a super voice and throat.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Quote:
On 2010-04-10 22:31, Lou Hilario wrote:

Hmmm... Not if you perform a silent-comedy show, Ony.

OK, a silent Vent act would be pretty novel, and likely a flop --but, if you are creative, it could be done in an entertaining way! Smile

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
Quote:
On 2010-04-10 22:31, Lou Hilario wrote:

Actually, I do. Comes from years of training in the theatre. And since its a small space, I don't use a mic. So you can imagine, by the time I get to the 9th or 10th show, my voice is a little like a 2 pack a day habit! Fortunately, I don't smoke so that probably helps.
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
I've had the 7-8 show weekends on a few occasions. Like Ken said, the shows actually get better as you get more tired. One of the things that I have started to do when I have more than 3 shows on a Saturday, is to bring an assistant with me. It's usually my son or my nephew. It's amazing how much less tired you get when you have someone giving you a little help. As a father of four, I don't turn away work that I can do. I believe in striking while the iron is hot. I totally respect anyone who feels that it is demeaning and beneath them to work this hard, please refer all calls to me.

Cesar
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bigmagic & Lou
To do 10 shows EVERY weekend, and several house parties during the week is a super human feat. I'm not saying that it is impossible to do, but you must be very very young.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
Just turned 48. Is that young? Doesn't feel like it! And believe me, it does take its toll.
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
Just found out I have 11 shows this weekend and 3 more during the week. Oy!
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I drove a little over 320 miles yesterday. I hit the road at 5:30 a.m., performed two school shows in rural Arkansas and made it back home in time to dump the show, change clothes, grab my close-up stuff and make it to my restaurant at 5:30 p.m. to put in a couple of hours. I'm not stuffing any more into one day than that.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12089 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2010-04-09 05:23, BIGmagiclV wrote:
I've been doing 8-10 shows a weekend almost every weekend for the last 18 months.
How do I do it? Easy....I cheat. All the shows are at the same party house location.
In my case, an indoor mini golf place in the west part of the US.
Let me tell you something....it is not easy to make the fifth show as fresh as the first on a Sat where you average 100-200 kids a day.
I have to take umbrage at the remark that these show are not "good". I have been able to have these parties booked partly because of the show they've just seen and want the same for their child. If it was a bad show, we would not get as many "instant" bookings. Not to mention all the private shows I get from doing 10 parties a weekend!

What do you charge per show for something like that?

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Looks like most people max out at three shows per day, but my maximum is two. If I have two, I'm happy and I'll turn down anything else for that day. My problem is nutritional - when going from show to show, packing/unpacking, setting up, etc. there never seems time to stop for lunch or dinner. I end up cramming food down or eating at some odd hour, and then my stomach isn't happy. Just not worth it.

Jim
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I've never even been ASKED to do three birthdays in the same day.

I've done lots of shows in a single day at a common venure (festivals, cruises, etc.), but I think three is the most I have ever done in a day at different places. And never three birthdays.

I pretty regularly do three hypnosis shows in a night at different locales during prom season, and it is making me an old man.
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
I actually get a salary but the great thing about it is I get to work in new stuff and I book a good number of private gigs from it.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12089 Posts

Profile of John C
I performed the south florida fair a few years ago. 4 or so shows per day on the weekends and a few days a week. I got a NEW show out of it that I have been using ever since. So, it does have its advantages. I have never performed that many shows per day other than that. I don't think I would want to.

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
WEll I couldn't do 5 shows a day. All that party food 5 time in one day. Dam I would get fat. lmao
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Jimbo -

I think if there were Cadbury Cream Eggs waiting for you at each party, you might find the motivation to make it to all 5 in a single day. Smile

I've heard you have a passion for them.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
I cut myself the other day and bled pizza sauce and cake icing.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I once did two shows in one day and had a tough time with the reset. I had to rethink my show. Can't imagine 6 in one day!
Life of Magic!
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
One of the keys to doing lots of shows back to back is being able to set up / reset quickly. You need to engineer your act to accomplish this.

If it's a small home party where I don't need audio support, I can set up in literally 2 minutes. If I need to hook up my portable PA, add another 60-90 seconds.

Take down/reset is a bit longer, but always under 5 minutes and usually around 3.

That's something I've planned, worked on, and gotten very good at implementing.

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
453 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I haven't kept up with the max number of shows on any given day that I've done but I suspect it's 5 or so. Like some of the previous posts on this topic, I have to change shirts too! I'm a big guy and just typing this makes me start sweating! Smile

The post from jackturk just above this post says "One of the keys to doing lots of shows back to back is being able to set up / reset quickly. You need to engineer your act to accomplish this." That is SO, SO true! It took me a LONG time to decide that I wanted and NEEDED to downsize my props/show. It's been great to be in and set up so much faster these days than I could do it years ago.

Steve Daly is to thank for getting me to really get serious about this topic. His Lecture was VERY helpful on that topic and it saved me the night I had 3 parties at the same church, in different rooms AND they "forgot" to leave setup/tear downtime between the shows. The situation when I arrived was NOT what it was supposed to have been. Without Steve's approach, I would still be there, months later, packing and unpacking.

Plus --- my wife kept after me saying, "Steve's kid show really packs and unpacks fast! Why doesn't yours??? Ouch!!!!

I'm down to 1 box, 1 sound system (if I take it in from the car) 1 Axtell board (won't fit in the other box) and my parrot. Life is good!
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions.

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Quote:
On 2010-04-21 15:17, CarlEJones wrote:

I'm down to 1 box, 1 sound system (if I take it in from the car) 1 Axtell board (won't fit in the other box) and my parrot. Life is good!

So, that's two trips to the car. Do you also take a table or two? I find that adds another trip.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Can you manage ten parties most weekends? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL