The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sword Suspension - Your Thoughts? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
I have seen Hans Klok perform this many many times (back in the good old days ;-)) and he gets great reactions when he performs this illusion.
It's all about how you 'sell' it and HK does a great job.
Probably one of the best presentations out there.
His swords look flimsy so this adds to the illusion.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I did the Sword Suspension for a time with my first wife, Bonnie. We did NOT have any other assistants. It was also performed by Doug Henning in his early years. I stopped doing it when I worked out an aga levitation and Doug quite doing it when he started to do an Asrah.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Hector
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Hector
I have performed the three swords suspension for some time (not anymore)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo3br1UeP1s

Even tho I enjoyed a lot, it was hard to "hang" the girl by myself. I don't like when an assistant helps the magician to lay the assistant on the swords. That's why I decided to do it myself.

On the other hand... it packs small and plays big! Smile
rioslautaro
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of rioslautaro
I totally agree with the positive points from maharajademagia, but there is another "negative" one and is the spectators's expectation for the retirement of the third sword in the climax.

Anyway my vote is for the sword suspension!
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
I worked for Melinda at the Venetian, hers was an Owen. Well worth the money. The person going on it doesn't have to be "Tilted" unnaturally for the hook up which is the nice part about this model. I owned a Chus, while it was made well, the hookup was a pain, because of the tilt required.

Vinny
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I have a Chu's and I would second that, however, mine actually came from Harry Collins (Frito Lay's Mr. Magic) and they had modified the h*****s so the tilt was not as severe. They had also added some leg supports to make it more comfortable.

I have actually heard of a performer using a dolly system to lay the girl on the swords (on man!). Think of something like the original Impaled board, but it starts in an upright position, is tilted and the girl laid on the swords. I would love to know if anyone knows more about this.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
I have a Chu's. Used this as part of a "rock magical vignette" to close our show for many years. It always got a fantastic reaction from the audience. Here are my observations on using in:
1 - because this became a utility illusion in the middle of our "vignette" (which actually was 10 minutes in length), it was an unexpected presentation and not predictable. A unique type of presentation always has the audience appreciating an effect even more.
2 - I used at least one other man (and whenever possible two other helpers) to put the girls on the swords. Using this many may seem over kill, but it allowed us to have the girls body very rigid as we moved her around quite easily and really helped sell the importance of putting her on the swords properly.
3 - We really stressed balancing her on the swords - making this first part of the trick her just balancing there actually became the first applause cue. Then by removing the other swords the balancing became more difficult. When you get down to the last sword it really blew people away. Then by quickly removing her the audience's mind never went to removing the last sword.
4 - Costuming very important - naked legs being visible very important. This signaled no h*****s to the audience. Our costume was a flowing princess like design (with legs visible).

I believe Mark Wilson had a version where (once Nani was down to one sword) she rotated 360 degrees around the tip of the sword.

Also if I remember correctly Sorcar also had a design (don't know if he actually used it) which was a concept of girl being placed on top of 2 dozen arrows and then the arrows removed (thanks to super x type of arrangement).

I am torn about having the girl animate her arms and legs when down to the last sword. Visually I think it looks great, but it might turn the effect more into a puzzle than an illusion.

Just some thoughts,

Rick

Rick
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Guess I shoud have read the thread over again, thanks Criag for the not about Brett Daniels.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
RIP Dennis ...
dynamite magic shop
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
24 Posts

Profile of dynamite magic shop
I know 35 years ago there was a version of the Sword Suspension in which the girl rotated 360 degrees when she levitated on the last sword supported by her neck only. You can imagine the base of this as it has to have a counterweight or anchored to the floor I think.

I currcently have a customer looking for this one, he used to own one 35 years ago but sold it as they have to buy new illusions every year and had no choice.

If anyone wants to sell this one or knows who has built it (I know he bought it in the UK so I had to think about Jack Hughes and Peter Diamond at first but did not check their versions yet) please let me know at info@dynamitemagicshop.com or reply on this post.

All help is appreciated!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Not sure if you an she rotated on her own.

A couple of things...

I have never sen a rotation where the sword did not rotate also (see a comment above)

At the time I would think Mark's version would have been built by Gaughan. I heard there were some real issues with it during rotation. Has anyone ever seen it "live" at a performance?

The only other Sword Sus. with rotation that I have seen (live) was with the Occult show back in the early 70's. I believe the performer was Michel de la Vega, and once the girl was suspended he used the small hoop he passed over her to "pull" her around, or rotate her and the sword, as it was "hooked" over her ankles.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2013, rioslautaro wrote:
I totally agree with the positive points from maharajademagia, but there is another "negative" one and is the spectators's expectation for the retirement of the third sword in the climax.

Anyway my vote is for the sword suspension!

I agree with you rioslautaro. The spectators always expect that at some point the magician will remove the third sword. But this expectation is there with Brook Suspension or even the Steinmeyer's Poles Suspension.

There was a magician names Mayavi who had a road show, he is the only magician I saw perform the Sword Suspension where the last sword was removed. But then that is not a suspension but a levitation. He had two assistants who first placed a ribbon on the three swords. The female assistant was then placed on the swords. The two male assistants who stood beside the head and the feet of the girl held this ribbon. The magician proceeded to remove the swords. But the assistants held the ribbon. So the people thought the trick was there. Then the ribbon was dropped. (Amazement)
Then he asked the spectators, "Did you like this?"
The spectators said "Yes."
One said, "Remove the third sword." (I think it was a stooge.)
Everyone laughed. Mayavi use to make a sorry face. After the laugh subdued he use to proceed to remove the third sword. The three took a sword each and took their applause pose. (Standing Ovation)
The swords were then replaced . And the best, it was done in the centre of the stage.

I went to see the show various times and I think a w*** hook up was used but cannot be sure of it.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
"X-orcism …or Expelling Demons of the Super-X Suspension" by Professor Spellbinder describes how to turn the Super-X into either a Chair Suspension illusion or a Sword Suspension illusion just by changing the supports, which allows you to remove the second chair or the third sword and turn it into an "air suspension." It still remains a suspension, not a levitation because there should be absolutely no up or down movement when this is done correctly (X-orcising the demon of "bounce"). The e-Book can be found in our Mini-Mysteries Book 3 section.
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
Okay guys I found this video on YouTube and thought I should share it with you all. Suspended on Sword Point' |Criss Angel BeLIEve Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDmRYgGFF-k
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
How did Criss use an audience volunteer? I'm blown away .....
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
USA
146 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
Even though I am not a sword suspension fan, I must say Criss knocked it out of the ball park in this performance.
sawuin2
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of sawuin2
Must be real magic haha

Quote:
On Jun 2, 2018, jimhlou wrote:
How did Criss use an audience volunteer? I'm blown away .....
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I haven’t read this on this thread so here goes:

The best way to set someone on a sword is to use another Assistant whereas a chair or broom suspendon teslkybonly needs two people on the stage.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Jay, have you ever seen a solo magician put his assistant on the swords by himself??

Blair
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I used to hoist a Wiz Kid up onto the swords by myself when we first started using the illusion. Then I taught one of the bigger kids to put one of the smaller kids on the swords while other kids were dancing and doing acrobatics around him. So it can be done, but it takes a lot of practice and rehearsal and finally trust. The person being lifted has to be able to freeze solidly during the lifting or it doesn't work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sword Suspension - Your Thoughts? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL