The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Modern Art Performed by A Male Magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AlbertoGiorgi
View Profile
New user
Italy
56 Posts

Profile of AlbertoGiorgi
Hi fellows, you can see a picture of my version of the solo modern art on MAGIC march 2010 (pag 53). It's a classical version but with some variation on the look to be suitable to my presentation. I agree with Chris about the knife. I have changed the knife with an horizontal saw but as I said it depends from the drammatical plot of my presentation.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I am always surprised that NOBODY does what I did with the MA when I first built it many years ago: articulate the legs. Especially with these self-cutting versions we get to watch the person's upper body bounce around like they're on crack, but the "legs" just stand there like a mannequin... so to speak.

It's very easy to construct the gaff such that while wiggling your feet around you can also make the legs move - giving the absolute impression of continuity. I'm baffled as to why no one else has considered this simple modification.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Amen on the stiff leg issue.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
I own the Modern Art that Thomas Wayne built many years ago and the moving legs really sells the illusion. It's all in the details, and if you've seen anything that Thomas has built or designed over the years, you know that he thinks things through before making them. He also designed a way to make my Zig Zag Lady illusion automatic, so that there is no need to do any dirty work when the box is being put into position or returned to the original state. If you're going to be a professional illusionist, having someone like Thomas Wayne, Owen Redwine, Jim Steinmeyer or John Gaughan assist in customizing your final product to fit the required body shape of the person in the illusion, the characters you present on stage during the performance, your unique vision of your act and the effect you desire to be achieved from the audience's perspective, can be a priceless addition to your act.

:magicrabbit:
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
839 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hi Thomas,

My MA was built by Owen Redwine. I added articulated legs soon after purchasing it more than 7 years ago.

Lou
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 14:42, illusions & reality wrote:
Hi Thomas,

My MA was built by Owen Redwine. I added articulated legs soon after purchasing it more than 7 years ago.

Lou

In my opinion it should be a standard mod for any version of Steinmeyer's MA.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Hector
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Hector
Hector
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Hector
I am sorry for my last post, I was trying to upload a picture. lol
Here you have my new version of the modern art. I have called "urban art".
We have remove the table and let arms and head out the box. Hope you like it!

http://www.uploadfilesystem.com//viewima......4430.jpg
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
Hector,

That looks very impressive. Nice job.

I'd be interested in more info on doing the moveable legs. Anyone?

Thanks
GRMAGIC
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of GRMAGIC
I have been performing this illusion for over a year with a male assistant and the reaction is the same as when I used a female assistant.
GRMAGIC
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of GRMAGIC
Hector
Looks very nice. would like to find out more information on this new version.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Dave Womach sold me his Modern Art a couple of years ago. I have been performing it with ME inside the box. We use the flash string method for the "cutting" and I devised a way to light it from inside the box.

We have gotten a very good reaction with it so far. I'm not sure who the builder was, but it was built for a 5'11" guy or so. The graphics were re-done by Chance Wolf years ago. Dave built a special gimick to move the legs when the door is opened, it really adds to the effect I think. I added the track for the flash string when I got it.

I don't have any video of me performing it, but there used to a be a few clips of Dave doing it in his show on youtube.

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
Hector
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Hector
Hi GRMAGIC, I am glad you like it.

what would you like to know?

PARAGUPPIE, think it has been built by Malloy modern magic. Any other info out there?
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Hector,

Thanks, that would not surprise me as Dave and Doug Malloy are good friends. Doug has done quite a bit of work for Dave I think.

KR
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Was just at a convention show where there were two Modern Arts performed. Four acts, two Snow Storms, Two Origamis and Two modern Arts. the dangers of doing trendy illusions.

Anyway there was no appreciable difference in the reaction of the laymen sitting in front of me between the two performances. One which was done by a magician to his female assistant, the other by the magician doing it to themselves. One used the knife, the other didn't. Didn't seem to matter either.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Payne....you forgot the two billard ball routines as well. ;-)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I heard there were also two coin in bottle routines in the close up contest as well, though I only saw one.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Well I must say, even though this is not part of the thread topic, your coin in bottle routine was one of the most entertaining pieces of magic I have ever seen. You routined that perfectly for your audience! I don't think I have ever laughed so hard during a magic routine. Did you win? I couldn't be there for the second day.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Yes, I took first place in close up and took the Elgin Fuller Memorial award for Comedy. I always find it odd that I win in close up as I really don't do close up magic. But then close up contests are so rarely actually close up contests. They are really stand up or parlour contests.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Congratulations! It was much deserved!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Modern Art Performed by A Male Magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL