The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Know the Culture when you touch Assistants! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I often get kids wanting to give me a thank you cuddle, I aways ensure the adults are present and my hands are in full view, they cuddle me not me them and I also turn to the side so there faces are by my lag not my crutch. It has to be safety first without upsetting the child, common sense plays a big part as all situations are different. I'd prefer it if it never happened but without upsetting the child sometimes it can't be avoided without causeing offence.

The important thing to remember when dealing with children is to make sure there is a rsponsible adult in the room with you at all times, That way you have backup if someone complains about anything. One senario could be when the boy (he's always there)who when you ask the kids "Who knows a magic word?" Shouts "WILLY". Kids memory's are funny and when later asked what the party was like one kid could say, "great fun the magician talked about willies" Without the other adult there to back you up you could be in trouble.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Good Post Emazad,

As a Cub Scout Den Leader and Assistant Cub Master. I would never let any of the boys stay with me without another parent. It is a scouting rule that I follow to the letter. No meeting can be conducted without two adults present and one of them cannot be my wife or another family member (Adult Son).

I was close to a person who was "finger-pointed" as the father of her child. It cost him tens of thousands to fight the case and two trials. (One was a mistrial). NJ has a rule relating to getting an abortion (under 16) one must name the father and the girl did not want to get her boyfriend in trouble so she picked a neighbor who she baby sat for. He won the trial because during the second trial the truth did come out.

Emazad, this story flashes through my mind as I read your post and can see how such an inicient statement can cost one's career.
Dennis Michael
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2002-06-04 11:28, John Zander wrote:
Any magician who does a 20th century shorts trick to a child has no business performing.

Quote:
On 2002-06-15 19:43, mslj wrote:
A really important debate!

Firstly, always have the parent(s) or the booker in the performance 'room' with you.
I have had many occasions when the parent of the child seems to vanish as soon as I go on.

I can’t believe this thread has not had a post in a long time; this is a very important subject that every child performer should be aware of.

Mslj;

You make a very important point, ALWAYS have an adult in the room with you when you perform, never let them go to the next room.

If there is no adult in attendance while you’re performing and you unintentionally touch a child; as the child runs screaming to the adults in the next room, yelling “that man touched me”, not only will the party be destroyed, you probably will not get paid for the evening .

If you do make it home, you should just email your picture to the people at Megan’s List and you can probably forget about ever working as a child’s magician again.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2002-06-02 20:17, mr.t.ricks wrote:
If the child is there and wants to give me a hug and their parents are not there, I say
give my arm a hug it has not had one all day, they are normally fine with this.

A brilliant solution to a common problem. I will remember that one. Thanks.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
As an aside to the thread, I've put myself through a background check in my home state where I perform so that I can give the client a copy of the official document that proclaims I do not have a criminal record. The process involves contacting the state police headquarters, paying a small fee, getting fingerprinted and running the check. This works well when booking kids shows.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Wow! well I only perform for clients that have common sense that way I don't worry about these things.

sure I use common sense my self but never have I denied I kid a hug nor have I changed the way I handle the kid on stage just becuase some people are psycho!

I man handle kids on stage and its part of the show matter of fact its one of the funniest parts of the show when I kind of smack one kid on the back telling them they are doing a good job. they are holding something for me and almost drop it when I do this and its really funny.

I just had my seamstress make my own custom instant magician and the parents love this thing (as ken mentioned done right it kills)

sure there are people out there thinking everyone is out to get their kid but I don't worry about that I treat every one with respect and have no plans to change the way I do my shows.

whether it be in schools, daycares, or private homes I think it all comes down to one thing!
YOU and how you handle yourself and present yourself. never have I had a school question my actions tword their students whether it be repositioning them multiple times, reaching into their shirt to produce a 6' streamer, or instant magician Never. I think it is due to the fact that they know me and see that I present my self as a profesional.

please do not missunderstand my post I am not saying screw you all I am saying that some of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill ;and some of you don't know how to handle children.

hmm maybe this could be my new lecture!

just my thoughts

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Sam, paedophilia is a huge problem, with hundreds of convictions over here in Ireland. Maybe other cultures are different, but if you carried on like that over here you would be out of business in a month. And that would be the least of your problems.

We are worried about people trying to get at our kids because there are predators out there who are trying to get at our kids. It is not in our imaginations. I have known at least three children's entertainers who used the profession as a cover for grooming kids.

I don't like the way the world has become, but I like even less the world of forty years ago, when teachers, priests, health-care professionals - and entertainers - could use their profession as a cover for interfering with children. We can never be too careful.

Bad1Dog, having a police check is fine, but one of the three paedophiles I had the displeasure of working with had a full police clearance. Another I hired for a series of gigs, then heard a rumour. I checked with the local police who told me there was no problem with the guy. I found out later he had a prior conviction by that stage. A police check is just cosmetic. As a parent it does not reassure me.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Tony B you are correct the world has changed and its so sad that we have allowed it to come to this. I have a daughter and yes I fear for her safty but don't lose sleep over it as I know God is in control.

your right there are some sick people out there and part of the problem is that teh punishments they get are usually nothing more then a slap on the wrist. if we ever really wanted to make a difference we would have some serious punishments handed down.

lets pray our kids stay safe and that we as kids entertainers continue to enjoy entertaining the little ones!

sam

oh and I have never had to use a back ground check for any of my shows. once for being a chaperone on my daughters school trip but never for my shows.
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
In the litigious society we find ourselves here in the US, anything you can do to protect yourself from a lawsuit in my opinion, is reasonable.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Know the Culture when you touch Assistants! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL