We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » UFC 112 hype (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well I really really hope Silva tries to be THIS "entertaining" against Vitor Belfort...

If he feels he's not being challenged, fully move up to LHW. Put him up against Rampage or Rua. Personally I don't buy him saying he doesn't want to get too far into his friend Lyoto's territory. Fighting is you job, least you can do is be professional about it.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-04-14 20:52, Chance wrote:
Don't you ever turn off your snark button?

It has an auto on when you hit your superior attitude button and show up telling everyone else why they are wrong about an opinion.

Fact is fans have opinions. They are entitled to them. Superior attitudes aside you are entitled to yours. But don't look down on others for having their own.

Fans in the end will vote with dollars, they always do. THAT is what is cool about fans.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
uhrenschmied
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of uhrenschmied
Quote:
On 2010-04-14 19:59, critter wrote:
In the end though, it doesn't matter what anybodies opinions are, only that he won. He's the champ and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I respectfully disagree. In a PPV environment the opinion of the viewer does matter. What good is a champion nobody wants to see ?

Regards,
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Except that you're the only one acting offended. I'm not responsible for your feelings, you are. No one else takes my words to heart. No one else is quoting me out of context, either. I'm just another voice, another opinion, and mine is no better or worse than the next guy's.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 03:32, uhrenschmied wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-14 19:59, critter wrote:
In the end though, it doesn't matter what anybodies opinions are, only that he won. He's the champ and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I respectfully disagree. In a PPV environment the opinion of the viewer does matter. What good is a champion nobody wants to see ?

Regards,

This is exactly what I was getting at. The fans and "armchair refs" as those who would look down upon them refer to them as, DO make the ONLY difference.

There is room for good guys/bad guys but no room for those who do not sell PPV.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Well, if I had any respect left for Dana White it's gone now.
Between his critique of Chuck Liddell's TUF picks (who are mowing through Tito's guys like grass) and now this: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewri......a,234279
I just can't understand that guy.

Would I like to have seen Silva plow through Maia's defenses and knock him out? Sure.
However, Silva comes from the black Capoeira culture where malicia is respected. What he did with Maia was typical for a capoeria player. As a fan of all martial arts I appreciate what he did.
I could understand if White wanted to set up a fining system for what could be considered poor sportsmanship, but saying you're going to fire one of the most dominating fighters in history with one warning is way too much.
But you know what they say, everybody has an opinion and a Dana White.
Then again, if Silva does get fired maybe he can go up to heavies in other promotions and whoop guys like Fedor.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 17:12, critter wrote:
Between his critique of Chuck Liddell's TUF picks (who are mowing through Tito's guys like grass)

Yeah I had a good laugh at that too. I loved Liddell's response "We've been disagreeing on fighters for years."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea and now they keep editing in the "well Chuck is the strategy guy" things for Dana LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I wouldn't say Tavares mowed through Hammortree. In fact I was surprised it went to a 3rd. I thought Hammortree had squeaked by. But after two fights, that isn't enough to say Chuck's MMA math for picking his team is a good idea or not. Jury is still out on that me thinks.

I would hardly classify what Silva did as malicia. Doing just the basic ginga, or side to side movement, was hardly a showcase of his broad skills or doing any kind of justice to capoeira.

One warning? This is strike three for Silva in Dana's eyes probably. Strike two in my own. Cote was strike one for Silva by Dana's terms, not mine. Leites was strike Two for Dana, but strike one to me. And Maia Strike three for Dana, and two for me. I remember comments by Dana saying he talked with Silva after those events about his conduct. So this is hardly the first time.

Heh, yeah I'm sure Anderson "The Clown" Silva will be a huge draw for Strikeforce. But Fedor is overrated and is due for a loss. He would have lost to AA is he hadn't jumped the gun fighting Fedor.

And I don't know what to make of Silva suddenly saying Maia disrespected him. He didn't have any of those feelings after the fight. And he dodged the specifics of how he was "Disrespected" by Maia so much in that press conference. Again conduct unbefitting a champion in the Octagon. In a breakthrough event into a new Country, who built a Stadium for You to fight in. Also apparently a new business partner, who apparently bought a percentage of the company. And to the people who paid upwards of $1000 for their seat, 3.5 million at the gate, plus the PPV buys. Now who's being disrespectful?

See you space cowboy...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I've heard a few different versions of the Maia disrespecting Silva story.
When I talk about malicia I am not talking about capoeira techniques, but the philosophy of capoeira. There's no direct translation into English but it's something like treachery. That's how I saw it. I could be wrong but that's how I saw it.
My Muay Thai coaches wife didn't like the way Silva fought either. I did, but I know I'm in the minority. I think it's fine for people to have their opinions but I also think that the reaction to the fight is way over the top.
By warning I mean formal warning.
When I was in management every employee had to go through a verbal warning then a written warning then a final warning before they could be terminated. And that was dime a dozen bankers. Anderson Silva is a uniquely qualified individual in his field.
I don't think it's right to tell a seemingly unstoppable fighter "You get one chance and then I'm taking the belt that you won and defended fair and square and you can never get it back because you're fired and I'm Dana D-Bag White and you're more embarrassing than Tito Ortiz' temper tantrums."
Again, it's just my opinion and Dana is the boss and will do what he wants but I think he does a lot of rash things that are bad for the credibility of the UFC.
When other athletes spout off or dance in the endzone they just get fined. If that doesn't work they get temporarily suspended. It's a progression.
Dana White is just a crappy manager. Protocol exists to try and prevent disciplinary actions from exhibiting favoritism and discrimination. Dana White never implemented an impartial disciplinary protocol into the UFC so the only discipline is decided by his anger. I don't like that.
~Will Rogers
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well I don;t know for sure but I doubt it's only up to Dana's discretion. I would think that Joe Silva or Lorenzo Fertitta would have their part in the decisions too. I could be wrong, I don't know. Again I don't think this is the first time Dana's been mad at Silva's conduct. And I kind of agree with Rogan when he said he didn't agree with some stuff from PRIDE but the Yellow Card system would have been useful in that fight.

See you space cowboy...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
One thing I agree with is that Dana said in his own defence of his reality show. To give away a twist would be stupid as could be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
That's true. It's working too. I may not agree with White's management tactics but the guy is a really good promoter. I am on the edge of my seat to see what happened to Liddell/Ortiz 3.

Something cool, one of the guys from my gym is going to be on TUF next season. Corey something. So everybody cheer for Corey something next year.
~Will Rogers
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
So then you can milk him for info on what happened during the show.

See you space cowboy...
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1544 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Frankie Edger a relative unknown?? WTF! That made me laugh. Silva's performance was a joke. For having his reputation as one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world, he lost a lot of respect from me..again. If he wanted to prove a point in that fight he should have just won by ko instead of acting like a fool for 5 rounds. Worst fight ive seen in years. I can see why Dana White was embarrassed. By the way, nobody can stop GSP's takedowns. He would take Anderson Silva down at will and win by ground and pound. Maybe not a stoppage, but he would definitely get the decision. Some people on this thread are funny as hell man Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Even most of Silva's worst critics know he'd hand GSP his ***. That's why they think letting Silva do it would be rewarding him.
~Will Rogers
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
http://www.rawvegas.tv/media/flash/swf/p......vid.html

Some people from Xtreme Couture's camp and their thoughts on the Silva Maia fight.

See you space cowboy...
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1544 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 12:35, critter wrote:
Even most of Silva's worst critics know he'd hand GSP his ***. That's why they think letting Silva do it would be rewarding him.

fail
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1544 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Oh yeah, Vitor Belfort would crush Silva as well Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 18:47, Bobby Forbes wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 12:35, critter wrote:

fail

Well your logic is infallible. Your detailed reasoning has overwhelmed both Silva's superior record as well as his size advantage and superior reaction speed.
I concede that the statistically inferior GSP is no match for Silva based upon your expert use of web terminology. I am no match for "fails" and "lol's."
You sir, have bested me in this contest.
:P
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » UFC 112 hype (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL