The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Magic...A story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
The time... yesterday. The place... a street corner near a coffee shop. The hero... me.
Enough background/setting development.

It had been almost a week since I had done my last gig. I was taking a nice stroll down town pondering some of life's greater mysteries such as why do they call them handcuffs when you wear them on your wrists. I had left my abode with not so much as a single card or even magic effect for that matter. On my way to the coffee shop for a late afternoon Mocha, I bump into an individual for whom I had performed for at least 3 weeks earlier. He said that his father-inlaw was having a party and he wanted me to perform. I said that it would be no problem and for his people to call my people. You know, the business pleasantries that are shared when you want to go about your wandering.

First, however, he stated that his father wanted to see some of my illusionary skills before I would get the gig. Again, I told him to contact my representative. Alas, his father was there and wanted to see it NOW. In any other situation I may have declined. He told me who his father worked for, IBM, and was willing to pay $1,000.00 for a night of magic, then a follow up weekend get together at his house in the Rockies. All traveling expenditures paid. All of this based on his son-inlaws testimonial of how well I performed.

What to do I asked myself. I was ill prepared to say the least. I did a quick mental check of any items I had with me. A notepad I kept for ideas that might come up, some loose change (4 dimes, 1 quarter, 3 pennies and 6 nickels to be exact) and 12 dollars cash (a ten and two ones).

His father-i law approached and I introduced myself. He said "So you're the man with the magic hands." "You could say that." I replied. "Show me something" he said.

I asked if he had any change on him. He gave me an old half dollar that he told me he carried with him everywhere. As he was reaching in his pocket, I palmed out the quarter I had with me. I took the half dollar with my left hand and did a fake toss into my right. I stood on his right side and asked him how far he thinks he could throw an object about the size of the half dollar.

All the while I am holding my right hand up pointing over a building across the street. As he answered me, I dropped the half dollar back in his pocket as a few people walked by us. I stepped out of the way for the people, and bumped into his father-inlaw. At the same time I let the coin drop back into his pocket. I told him that I thought I could toss it farther than he could imagine himself to do. I cocked my arm back and told him to watch carefully. I made a quick toss of the coin enough for him to see the glint of it, then I caught it again. Then I threw it as far as I could.

His jaw dropped. He started acting really upset and even grabbed my collar. I asked him to kindly remove his hands and I would give him something to compensate. I took out the ten dollar bill and crumpled it into a ball. I did a retention vanish with the bill and told him to check his pocket. When he pulled out the coin, the look of total astonishment on his face made it all worthwhile. He told me I had the gig, then offered an additional $500.00 dollars and a free tux rental of my choice for the gathering. All in all a good day for magic.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Congrats!!!

That's some quick thinking, it is a good thing the dad had something of sentimental value on him, it makes magic that much stronger!
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
That just goes to prove the point that the greatest gift a magician can have is the power of creativity and improvisation.

Well played Xander DraX and I hope the gig goes well too.

Socrates

'Imagination is more important than knowledge' - Albert Einstein Smile
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Talk about truly impromptu. That is great to hear! Hope it goes/went well.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
mrlavaboy
View Profile
New user
Indpls
94 Posts

Profile of mrlavaboy
You mean you didn't have your 12 decks of gimmicked cards with you...or your 18 coins trick coins, your TT or....lol and you call yourself a magician Smile

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

andy
animatey
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of animatey
That is what I call quick thinking,bravery,and very clever.
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
Xander, what can I say..... A very interesting story indeed. With your ingenuity and dare I say it, brass balls you're probably worth every last cent the man paid you for the gig.
dave s
View Profile
New user
new york
87 Posts

Profile of dave s
DUDE,

Well done. GREAT story. You CERTAINLY earned your fee. Oh yah....and thanks inspiring me to be that much more astonishing.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I am glad everyone liked my story. I still see the gentlemans father in law every now and then. Usually when I do he just smiles and shakes his head. I know the astonishment is still there. Amazing the world one person at a time, that's all I do.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
MagicMaker
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of MagicMaker
Geez! Maybe you could market that routine lol!
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
All is well that ends well! Impressive.

All the best!

Dynamite
Smile
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I can't believe the guy got upset by losing .50c!?!?
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
Pretty good, but if you had made the coin appear in his left shoe after you showed him that the number you wrote on your pad matched the one he randomly thought up, and that your watch and his both showed the exact hour and minute he picked out of the blue, and that written on the back side of a passing cab was the name of someone important to him he had written on a piece of paper that you then burned, and that his phone number also appeared from the ashes rubbed upon your stomach ... well ... THAT would have really been impressive.

But then, you would be a famous TV magician too.

Cool story - good fast thinking. And all it cost you was a measley quarter.

-Dave
Babymagician
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Babymagician
Great story.
I have tears in my eyes...
Thanks for sharing.
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
102 Posts

Profile of jbohn
This is the kind of story that inspires me...

Jeremiah
ksalaz1
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of ksalaz1
That was completely brilliant and thanks for sharing.

KSalaz
"Master of the Obvious"
rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
Wow! Man! You must give a terrific show! Bravo!

Richard
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Wow, I am glad everyone has enjoyed my story. I used to do a lot of magic performances, but not so much anymore. I have taken a hiatus from performing for a little while to find myself. I have known many magicians who burn themselves out and end up quiting the business so to speak. I have too much love for the art to allow that to happen.

I create a lot of magic now, I just don't perform it. As long as the creative juices are still flowing, I will never be thirsty for magic.

Thanks again.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
Wonderful story! It created a rather sudden brainstorming session for me. Ah, now to sit down and try some of the new ideas you've inspired. Many thanks.
bcharles
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
59 Posts

Profile of bcharles
Great story, inspiring me to do some hard thinking about those "on a moments notice" situations. Excellent quick thinking.

Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Magic...A story (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL