We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Michael Specter: The danger of science denial (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 12:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
one of the largest factors is still genetics.

Doctors are working on that too.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Danny
Everybody already knows that you don't like me, so why do you have to make this personal?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 11:16, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-16 22:35, tommy wrote:
The premature death of physicians as long been known. What does that tell you?

That their twaddle and expensive machines are not what truly heals - but that instead they are transferring the sickness to themselves and eventually succumb?

The Physician of Dorian Gray?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
uhrenschmied
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of uhrenschmied
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 10:18, Al Angello wrote:
My grandfather did not believe in doctors either, but he was born in the 19th century. I really thought that herbal medicine was used to compliment formal medicine, but it appears that I am wrong. We actually have 21 century people who think that they are smarter than ALL the rest of us. This is a very sad situation.

Then lets close the argument right here. The believe in doctors, or science in general, without questioning it makes you part of the SMART majority.

Having a different opinion must be wrong, hence STUPID.

But wait...

Quote:
On 2010-04-17 13:59, Al Angello wrote:
My family doctor is a walking encyclopedia of the latest in medical research, while you, or I can only dabble in folk medicine.

Since you dabble only in folk medicine, the fact that makes youe part of the SMART is that you believe your doctor, while people questioning diagnosis or treatment are STUPID.

Here is one for you. If two doctors recommend a different treatment for the same patient and diagnosis, who should decide about the treatment ?

Regards,

Regards,
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I would call the Mayo clinic.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
uhrenschmied
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of uhrenschmied
Is that smarter than calling John Hopkins Hospital?

Regards,
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Can he phone a friend?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
uhrenschmied
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of uhrenschmied
Tommy, I could not care less whom he would call. His life, his decision. Which is the whole point of my argument.

Regards,
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Al. Phone Danny and whichever one he picks go for the other one. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 12:49, Al Angello wrote:
Danny
Everybody already knows that you don't like me, so why do you have to make this personal?

Odd Al, but this post indicates more that you are taking it personal LOL. I was simply clarifying that the best position is to sort of take care of yourself, and when needed defintely hit the doc up for treatment. Those guys go to school for a reason and hey they need the business!

You tend to take undefendable positions of superiority and I think that was sort of what confused people. We never said don't go to a doctor Al. I can't find a single post where anyone did, yet you keep saying those people are here. WHERE?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
Here is one for you. If two doctors recommend a different treatment for the same patient and diagnosis, who should decide about the treatment ?

Providing both options are based on evidence and the doctors clearly communicate the quality of the evidence for the treatments they are suggesting, the patient should have free choice.

It's more concerning when I hear of "doctors" recomending treatment for which there is little to no evidence at the expense of a treatment that has good supporting evidence for it's efficacy.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
uhrenschmied
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of uhrenschmied
On 2010-04-21 11:09, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Quote:

It's more concerning when I hear of "doctors" recomending treatment for which there is little to no evidence at the expense of a treatment that has good supporting evidence for it's efficacy.

Question is, how to gather supproting evidence for new treatments then. Animal testing is usefull only to a certain point. By doctors treating people using medicines without supported evidence, said evidence is established. Or not. With relying only on the proven, bleding might be still the main treatment.

As long as the doctors inform the patient that a treatment is experimental, I am ok with the approach. Not sure if I would take said treatment myself, though. But having the choice is what matters to me.

Regards,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Michael Specter: The danger of science denial (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL