The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Roughing Fluid (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3617 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I heard somewhere to lightly pass a bar of soap, I think it was LUX soap, over the faces of the cards. I can't find any LUX so I haven't tried this. Does anyone use soap on the faces?

Thanks,

Jim
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The only time I've used soap on cards was for exhibition fanning...and then it was Cashmere Bouquet.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Turtle wax has some interesting effects. Just rub it on let it dry and buff it off each side of the card.

I usually use it for my gaff cards that start getting sticky. Especially the ones I use for packet tricks to make counts easier.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
@Voldemort, thanks for the tip.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2010-04-23 18:11, Voldemort wrote:
Turtle wax has some interesting effects. Just rub it on let it dry and buff it off each side of the card.

I usually use it for my gaff cards that start getting sticky. Especially the ones I use for packet tricks to make counts easier.

That's an old trick for making a slick card. Exactly the opposite of roughing.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2010-04-24 03:55, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-23 18:11, Voldemort wrote:

That's an old trick for making a slick card. Exactly the opposite of roughing.

Is it?! I just tried it out one day out of curiosity! Well at least I know I'm not the only one who tries stuff like that.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
cinful823
View Profile
New user
England, UK
76 Posts

Profile of cinful823
I didn't know that R/S spray can be found in hobby stores. Maybe I will take a look. Thanks for the great advice!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2102 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
It's also can be found in home hardware shops. Usually it is used to layer a furniture.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3617 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Thanks for the Cashmire Bouquet tip! Ill give it a try on my ID

Jim
rottenmagic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of rottenmagic
I love when people first find out that expensive stuff that they buy at their local and internet magic shops is just overpriced stuff that can be found easily and cheaply in local stores. My favorite is invisible thread. If you buy the basic stuff from a magic shop, you are being ripped off hard. If you raid certain drawers belonging to your girlfriend or buy 500 foot rolls of a certain product from a fabric store, then you are buying smart. But first you need the knowledge to be able to buy smart. The real shame is that magic shops are more than happy to charge you five times more than a product is worth. This is the case with roughing spray. It is acrylic clear coat matte finishing spray (I'm pretty sure it is acrylic). So pretty much any good quality paint company should have their own version. Follow stanyon's instructions and they will be perfect.
The Great Dave
View Profile
Regular user
My Wife said "It's Me or that Stupid Magic Website!" this many times.
181 Posts

Profile of The Great Dave
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 18:13, Paul Budd wrote:

Without giving too much away, I was wondering if you could explain a little bit about the roughing of "part" of a card.......that sounds interesting.

The concept is that the entire card surface does not need to be roughed in order to have the desired effect. Some only rough about one third of the card in a band that runs across the center of the card. It gets the job done without too much roughing which can cause difficulty in separating the cards.

Dave
Academy of Magical Arts

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! Whoops, wrong hat ...
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 06:54, The Great Dave wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 18:13, Paul Budd wrote:

Without giving too much away, I was wondering if you could explain a little bit about the roughing of "part" of a card.......that sounds interesting.

The concept is that the entire card surface does not need to be roughed in order to have the desired effect. Some only rough about one third of the card in a band that runs across the center of the card. It gets the job done without too much roughing which can cause difficulty in separating the cards.

Dave

Great info, thanks Dave. I think it is about time for me to use some Testor's soon, My IDs are getting old.

Ive always just put a light mist from about 2-3 feet while the cards are below on newspaper. It may just be hitting on the 3rd you mentioned.

Decomp
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
911 Posts

Profile of Riley
If you can find the books "Roughingly Yours" by Aldini, and "Rough Stuff" by Aldini and Joe Berg (I think), there is quite a bit of information and effects/handling for what Aldini calls "super roughing", that is treating just the top, bottom or middle section of a card, as mentioned by Dave, above. The effects possible are excellent.

I suppose the UK equivalent of Testors etc, is Letracote 104 spray. I've used this for years. It was the roughing spray used by the late Ken Brooke for his marketed effects.
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
I use Liquitex Matte Medium fluid. It's not a spray, I apply it with a sponge paintbrush. As with the spray though, it only takes a LIGHT coat. I like the control I have with a brush, and I don't have to worry about laying cards out and making a mess by spraying an aerosol can.
Weird is part of the job.
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
There are so many things you can construct on your own that is sold in the magic world. Hundreds. I can say that I purchased a $7.50 can of roughing fluid from my local magic shop and it worked perfectly. It was worth it. The effects I constructed with it is worth the price ten times over...if not more. I love to shop online however, any time I can support a local Magic I will.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10536 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I like using the KRYLON 1311 MATTE spray. I get better results with it than the Testors and I find that it drys faster.

I also agree that lighter is better and perhaps a 2nd light coat if needed
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 23:43, Groucho wrote:
Has anyone ever tried put fanning powder on their invisible deck?

Does it:
a) make the smooth bits smoother?
b) make the rough bits smoother?
c) stuff up the whole deck?
d) does nothing ?

I use fanning powder on my jumbo Invisible Deck, a technique I learned almost 30 years ago. You just have to be careful how you apply it, so it takes some time. Just a bit between each non-roughed surface. It makes fanning the deck much easier. It has no interference on the roughed cards.
DrKnow
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of DrKnow
Quote:
On 2010-04-13 12:05, mhend wrote:
Hi guys,
I did a search for roughing fluid and didn't find much. I'm interested in acquiring some for experimentation. tips on what to buy, where to buy, use, great effects?
Many thanks!
Mark

I haven't seen anyone mention this about roughing fluid, so here's something to think about:

When you are applying roughing spray to cards, cover 1/3 of the tops and 1/3 of the bottoms. This way when you re-assemble the deck, you can push off the pairs from the middle and then move to the tops to simply slide them apart. In other words, handle the middles to keep them together, and handle the tops to separate them.

I learned about this because as I got older my fingertips became dry. I've used lotions, sprays, and sometimes just a quick lick off the tongue. But this technique of just spraying the middles of the cards makes it easier to do. Works especially well for making your own Invisible Deck or some packet tricks.
DrKnow
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of DrKnow
Oops! Just saw the Great Dave's post on same topic.

Sorry Dave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Roughing Fluid (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL