The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » On The Mark (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Mark excellent effect I wish you would of spoke more slowly and slowed it down a bit
never the less excellent
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I saw this at the Bristol day of Magic, and all I can say is 'Brilliant'. Very entertaining and you did fool me Mark Smile
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Arghhh, I wish I had seen this at Bristol Day of Magic!

Looks like another winner Mark, next pay cheque, you may well be seeing some of my money!!

Best,

Ben Williams
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
394 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Since this comes with a special wallet I assume that it would be impossible to modify this to work with my Outlaw peek wallet (Hideout & Showdown)?
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
What happens if the person says number cards?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question)
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I am sorry to be a kill joy here but I saw this performed and really didn't like it. It is just a magicians choice in play and is nothing new at all. You should be able to ask for one card and bang that is the card in the wallet. Spectators don't want elimination processes, they want to name a card they want to see in the envelope, why would you need it in a wallet either. Its purely just about marketing another trick as you can never get stronger than having an invisible deck placed in spectators pocket and they can name any card no evoque and bingo it is there reversed. How can anything be stronger. So these effects are just made to sell but add nothing to the magic scene IMHO. I am certain after reading many reviews and seeing the same old names giving the thumbs up that they are personal friends of the creators in so many cases. I don't believe hardly any of them would genuinely use them in their acts as they must have better ways of achieving the same outcome in a far cleaner manner.
davidmag
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of davidmag
Quote:
On 2010-05-13 07:49, The Mac wrote:
What happens if the person says number cards?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question)

It is a dumb question!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2010-05-13 07:31, AlluTallu wrote:
Since this comes with a special wallet I assume that it would be impossible to modify this to work with my Outlaw peek wallet (Hideout & Showdown)?

In "Penny for your thoughts" I wrote: "I think it is a very solid routine and an excellent alternative to KK or BangOn. Nevertheless I would like to share what I'm going to do: I will combine BangOn and OTM, changing the configuration of the D...F...cers. The result is a very small and thin wallet where you can show the envelope inside even before you start the selection procedure. Jan"
Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Quote:
On 2010-05-13 11:31, nanaswan wrote:
I am sorry to be a kill joy here but I saw this performed and really didn't like it. It is just a magicians choice in play and is nothing new at all. You should be able to ask for one card and bang that is the card in the wallet. Spectators don't want elimination processes, they want to name a card they want to see in the envelope, why would you need it in a wallet either. Its purely just about marketing another trick as you can never get stronger than having an invisible deck placed in spectators pocket and they can name any card no evoque and bingo it is there reversed. How can anything be stronger. So these effects are just made to sell but add nothing to the magic scene IMHO. I am certain after reading many reviews and seeing the same old names giving the thumbs up that they are personal friends of the creators in so many cases. I don't believe hardly any of them would genuinely use them in their acts as they must have better ways of achieving the same outcome in a far cleaner manner.

your right , why would we need cards?
why would we need a wallet?
why an envelope?
your a magician... tell me what I'm thinking ?
unfortunatly we can do this, this cleanly anyway
mark has stripped this right back to the almost bare essentials, using everyday items (subtley) to perform a mircale
ask any laymen the next day what happened... I'm sure the majority will say, he got me to think of any card, it was the only card in hs wallet
bloody brilliant mark!
cheers
matt wainwright
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2010-05-13 21:01, JanForster wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-13 07:31, AlluTallu wrote:

In "Penny for your thoughts" I wrote: "I think it is a very solid routine and an excellent alternative to KK or BangOn. Nevertheless I would like to share what I'm going to do: I will combine BangOn and OTM, changing the configuration of the D...F...cers. The result is a very small and thin wallet where you can show the envelope inside even before you start the selection procedure. Jan"
Jan

Hey Jan, I see where you are going with this. Clever!!

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I enjoyed the demo, it looked very straight forward.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Intriguing idea jan! please let us know if everything went well.

best wishes,
Martin
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, it's going excellent. I do it already this way. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
For those asking if "On the Mark" is adaptable for a hip style wallet -- I would say "yes". I know Mark has already given the reasons why he doesn't recommend this, and I agree 100% with his thinking. The psychology for the supplied wallet is spot on.

BUT, that said, there are many situations where I need my hip style wallet. I use an Heirloom. In the past, I've used it for KK. I now use it for OTM. I only carrying my drivers license and a few biz cards, so it remains thin looking. I've practiced to the point where I can do what I need to do without looking.

For me, the only real sacrifice is that I don't have the card in an envelope. But again, I don't see this as a significant sacrifice. Like with KK, I simple remove one card, but unlike KK I can remove the card face down, building a bit extra drama before the card is revealed. And with my Heirloom, I'm able to pull out the card, and then show that, except for a few bills, the wallet is otherwise empty.

Fact is, I'm not crazy about a card in an envelope anyways, it hints at "magic trick". I'm a mentalist. I put a card in my wallet. Why do I also put it in an envelope? No need, really. Yes, my reasoning could be debated ad-nauseam, but that's not my purpose for this post.

The point is -- I've done this many times over the past week with my hip style. I've yet to do it with the supplied wallet, but will when the circumstance calls for it -- so maybe my opinion will change then -- BUT, bottom line, this can work with a hip wallet.

No, actually the bottom line is -- I think this is a terrific effect. I love Mark's thinking. Super clean, super practical, just a super effect!
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I can't see how this effect would play any differently to laymen than KK, Bang On, Futurezone etc etc. And narrowing down the choice, no matter how clever you think you do it is not a free choice. Whilst equivoque may fly by some, it also runs the risk of insulting the specs intelligence & weakening the effect.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
To the layman -- probably not much different. So?

I use KK often, it has its place and purpose. I have Bang On, not a fan for pocket real estate reasons. Don't know about Future Zone. I like this for it's simplicity and its AAA factor.

In terms of equivoque -- I couldn't disagree with you more. It gets into the old argument of presentation. No use in dredging that up once more, I'm sure there are plenty of threads on it. But I will say that...

a) In the right context, in the right presentation, equivoque can be invisible (I've seen it and I've done it).

b) Mark's version of this is so direct and clean -- every choice the spectator makes is 100% consistent with their previous choice. If you wanted, you could even point this out, assuring the spectator that whichever choice they make, that's the choice you go with.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I was dissapointed with this effect. Here is what the creators say:

On The Mark comes with the (beautiful!) leather wallet, envelopes, Bicycle card gimmicks and detailed instructions.

First, the wallet is an ungimmicked wallet and so it is not necessary. I could have used a wallet for a fraction of the cost. Also, the wallet can't be examined afterward. Maybe not a big issue as I would never have someone examine my wallet, but should be noted.

Second, the Bicycle card gimmicks could have been designed better and printed professionally, instead of being hand made. It would have made for a much better effect if they had been printed a certain way. There is a John Bannon effect that uses similarly printed cards, just not enough to do this effect.

Third, the instruction is perfectly suitable, but since the previous two items fell short, I feel like I have a good effect that was not designed as well as it could/should have.

KJ.
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
I agree that the cards could have been printed professionally, but as for the wallet, I think it's very well made and designed in such a way that helps facilitate removal of the card. Plus, without giving anything away, I can't think of any "magic' wallet or any regular wallet that could as easily do what this wallet does. Also, the fact that someone can't examine the wallet, is true, no matter what kind of wallet you use.
Cliff Gregory Wollin
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I have a habit of every 6 to 8 weeks taking something out of my close up set and putting another effect in. It may not be a new effect, but something I have used before.
The reason that I do this is so that I don't become bored with doing the effect. I want my performance to seem fresh and off the cuff(even though it's well rehearsed due to countless performances)

On The Mark is one of the effects which I regularly reintroduce.Why do I do this?
1/ If done corectly it's impossible for the spectator to reconstruct.

2/The wallet looks smart.

3/The spectator never handles the cards and they look normal

The effect is great and no one ever ever ever wants to examine the wallet or cards. Why would they? You are holding a single card from an empty wallet. It would be really bad maners for a spectator to go through your wallet.

If you are on the fence about buying this see Mark at a convention and get him to dem it on you and you will buy it.

Have done this a lot and it never fails.

Mike Donoghue
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know Alakazam Magic own the rights to Mark Elsdon's fantastic On The Mark effect. We will be releasing this great effect at the end of September. On The Mark comes complete with a full explainational DVD, cards & beautiful leather wallet. We have created this in two sizes. Larger jacket size and hip pocket size.

Our first batch is limited and we will have them on our site for pre-order later this week.

Best Regards

Peter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » On The Mark (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL