The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best dancing cane (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
roberthoudin
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of roberthoudin
Unfortunately hard to find today, I strongly recommend studying the material authored by Pierre Brahma of France regarding his own handling of the dancing cane. Pierre was not comfortable with the traditional black and white can due to the lack of visibility by most of the spectators in a theater. He also understood that canes did not look like natural day-to-day objects anymore. So he came up with the idea of using an aluminum made dancing microphone with very strong thread. To my knowledge, most of Pierre's moves are completely unique to him. It is also the only video material I know that goes into so much details into how to use small finger movements in addition to the larger movements responsible for "floating the cane" to create very unusual mid course effects, brisk changes of directions, all-in-all an even more magical routine where the hand movements are difficult to connect with the movements of the cane. Inspired by Cardini, Pierre's approach for this routine is that the magic happens despite him... He is a victims of this animated and fast dancing mic and tries to take control of it. Also, inspired by Cardini, Pierre starts with his white gloves on and removes them one at a time as the cane is dancing. As I understand it, Pierre Brahma produced himself the printing of a number of DVDs in French about 10 years ago who were sold out within a few months. About 5 years ago, I spoke with Pierre's secretary who indicated he had a project to publish a new batch with an English track... But it does not seem that this ever came to fruition... So I apologize if this material is hard to find... But if you know someone who can lend you a copy, even if French, I strongly recommend this material for the student of dancing cane moves...
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Where can one obtain Raymond Crowe's lecture notes on his dancing cane routine? Apart from buying a Wack-o-Magic cane that is.

A tip for storage of a balsa cane...I use plastic pipe with blank push fittings on the end. By this I mean the plastic piping which is used as a drain/waste water pipe under a wash basin. All the materials are available at a hardware/diy shop e.g. B&Q in England. I wrap the cane in cloth and slide it into the tube.
iluzjonista
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of iluzjonista
Ultimate Dancin Can looks beautiful. The only concern I have is that it comes in one pice. It could be better if the can is splitted into two parts for transportation purposes.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Some of the best dancing canes--like the Creekmore dancing canes and the Wack-o-Magic Ultimate Dancing Cane--are one-piece canes. I have never been very happy with the two-piece canes. Sometimes when assembled the place where they join together seems too loose.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I tried very hard to get my cane to split... and all the results were TERRIBLE.. they added so much weight to the cane... and made it unstable.

My cane is SO LIGHT... and the $%$#% SO THIN that it can nearly be done in full light... rather close up against the right background...

http://www.wackomagic.com/dancingcane.html
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I don't think it would be hard to take a sturdy mailing tube or two and make a nice case for any dancing cane, regardless what it is made out of. In fact, my Wack-o-Magic dancing cane arrived in the mail in just such a tube and is what I use to store and transport the cane.

I would imagine, too, that hardware stores probably have something that could be cut to the right length--something like what the Creekmore canes were sold in.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
SilverMagician
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of SilverMagician
No one's posted here in a while... any updates/reviews on any new dancing canes that have come out recently?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I check the dealers regularly and have seen nothing new. And no one has mentioned anything new in dancing canes on any of the facebook magic pages that I check daily.

----- Sonny Narvaez
SilverMagician
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of SilverMagician
Makes sense. I'm thinking of getting the Tango aluminum or the David Mann cane just to learn it. Maybe invest in a better one when I get better at it
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Good to see the David Mann website back up and running, he was gone and no one could find him for a long while.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
David Mann has a facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/David-Mann-Magic-341461909374533/

The "About" page says:
My name is David Mann and I want to welcome you to My Facebook Magic Page
Here you will find unique Magic that you won't find any where else on the planet

----- Sonny Narvaez
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
I am also interested in getting the Raymond Crowe notes on the dancing cane. Well, to be fair, anything from Raymond (besides the Ball, which I alredy have). Thanks! I don´t have the Wack O magic Cane but it is beautifull. Wish they think about getting different styles and objects to use as a dancing cane, like Creekmore did...I am diying to have one "dancing cane" but never find nothing suitable for me...
shak
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of shak
What was the price of Tannen's Balsa dancing cane
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
The Tannen ad in _Linking Ring_ for July 1976 lists the Balsa Wood Model at $25.00—with instructions by Lewis Ganson.

My memory of that cane is that the ferrule (top of cane) was just the top of the cane painted white. I painted it black, and then bought a white plastic table leg cap (similar to a Fantasio Vanishing Cane cap) and attached it to the cane as the new ferrule. The very slight extra weight of the plastic cap didn't affect the balance much at all.

----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best dancing cane (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL