The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Squirting coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

esmolko
View Profile
New user
Kent, oh
33 Posts

Profile of esmolko
Hi I've been working on some David Stone, Kenner standup coin routines and am having an issue. My cp is pretty decent, and I am progressing well in dropping single coins from cp, but when I go to produce a single coin with the ones still in cp the coins squirt out. do I just need to re grip the coins? anyone who has worked on David Stones material will know what I am talking about. hope you can help thanks
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
I can't help but laugh at the expression of squirting coins! Hahaha. Sorry.

Anyway, well... classic palm is hard to learn and hard to master. When you can do it well, the edge won't matter much. Otherwise you'll find hundreds of ways in these forums to keep the coins from falling, but I still think it's a crutch. Sure, a new coin will help. If they're silver coins, you can always go to a pro to have it re-edged. Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Happens to me all the time - dry skin contributes to this as much as anything else. "Make sure you are properly hydrated" is the advice I keep getting... not sure what the heck that means! Anyway I use Chamberlain's Golden Touch. Helps some but I have to apply it fairly often.

Jim
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-04-16 02:51, J-Mac wrote:
Happens to me all the time - dry skin contributes to this as much as anything else. "Make sure you are properly hydrated" is the advice I keep getting... not sure what the heck that means! Anyway I use Chamberlain's Golden Touch. Helps some but I have to apply it fairly often.

Jim

I agree with Jim also, if your hands are dry... then a lotion is imperitive. The right lotion helps all the better. I also use Chamberlain's.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
While there are products that help you make your hands tacky..., muscle control must be developed. One of the best ways to practice this is to work with coins with good milling. This way, it makes it easier a bit. Easy is not always the key to success but coins with good milling gives your hands the idea of how it should feel to CP and drop them one at a time while retaining some. After a whle everything becomes ingrained in your muscle memory. Experiment with the right size too. When the muscled are developed, you will be surprised how easy it is no matter what coin size you use.

One of the best alternative to all the commercial lotions is a few drops of cola! Yeah I know it sounds crazy... but it has been used by many of the best coin workers I know. At least give it a try. Just a few drops. I found this handy for emergency situations.

The problem with some lotion is that , when it gets too tacky, it makes it difficult to do some sneaky "sliding" moves and pop out moves.

Just keep working on it. Experiment with placements in your hand.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have an old "Squirting Coin." You tell someone to look at the Buffalo on the Nickle and it "pees" on you. (Is hollow and filled with H20). Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
I had the pleasure of lecturing at Tim Felix's Magic store this month and he sold the best product for hands anywhere. It is called N.A.P.C.A.
It is a non oily liquid formula that takes moisture from the air and replenishes your skin with it. Really...it does take moisture from the air and places it into your dry skin.

847-455-4288
Midwest Magic
9706 Franklin Av,
Franklin Park, IL

Click here to view attached image.
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
*Non-oily
*The Natural Moisturizing Factor in Human Skin.
*TwinLab Na-PCA is a Ph-balanced, concentrated solution of the sodium salt of pyrrolidone carboxylic acid, the natural moisturizing factor found in human skin. Na-PCA is synthesized from glutamic acid, a nonessential amino acid. The skin contains natural moisturizers, the most important being Na-PCA.
*Old skin contains only about half the amount of Na-PCA as that found in young skin. The ability of skin to hold moisture is directly related to its Nz-PCA content. It is water, and not oil, that keeps skin soft and supple. Na-PCA pulls water out of the air, moisturizing the skin, improving its appearance, and giving it a moist and youthful glow. This is not a cosmetic cover up; it is a physiological correction of an age-related deficiency state.
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-04-16 03:51, rannie wrote:
While there are products that help you make your hands tacky..., muscle control must be developed. One of the best ways to practice this is to work with coins with good milling. This way, it makes it easier a bit. Easy is not always the key to success but coins with good milling gives your hands the idea of how it should feel to CP and drop them one at a time while retaining some. After a whle everything becomes ingrained in your muscle memory. Experiment with the right size too. When the muscled are developed, you will be surprised how easy it is no matter what coin size you use.

One of the best alternative to all the commercial lotions is a few drops of cola! Yeah I know it sounds crazy... but it has been used by many of the best coin workers I know. At least give it a try. Just a few drops. I found this handy for emergency situations.

The problem with some lotion is that , when it gets too tacky, it makes it difficult to do some sneaky "sliding" moves and pop out moves.

Just keep working on it. Experiment with placements in your hand.

Absolutely great advice.
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Pete, I've got the same coin with a 70s nickle back, so that's why I even looked at this thread. I LOVE it! I'm on my second year of getting my gal/assistant with it TWICE and going on a third try today probably now...HA!

As for development of the CP muscles, I became most proficient at it by typing often at work with a half in each hand. This way, you not only build the muscles, but you gain the dexterity in the fingers while performing CP that lend to great and more natural subtleties in the end.

Take care and take coins!

Christian
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Jim,

I have used Na-PCA for a few years, though lately I have been using Chamberlain's. I agree that Na-PCA works great however it doesn’t last very long for me. For that matter neither does Chamberlain's. I have very dry skin and haven't been able to find any product that lasts very long and yet is not oily.

Thank you.

Jim
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-04-19 02:40, J-Mac wrote:
Jim,

I have used Na-PCA for a few years, though lately I have been using Chamberlain's. I agree that Na-PCA works great however it doesn’t last very long for me. For that matter neither does Chamberlain's. I have very dry skin and haven't been able to find any product that lasts very long and yet is not oily.

Thank you.

Jim

I agree, and honestly... Chamberlain's is half the price for the double the amount. It lasts just long ehough for me. Just some thoughts.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Okay, I thought this was about coins that squirt water, too. But it does sort of all come together at this point...perhaps the best container for the hand moisturizer is a sqirting nickle?

And, just a thought--an entirely different thought--DO NOT combine these ideas--suppose you had a squirting coin, let's say a half dollar or a dollar, filled with lighter fluid, and/or "dragon's breath". You could then take "flames" from a ligher or candle, and they would turn into coins.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
One idea is to add Rosin to your coins - Roth Rosin perhaps.
Another idea is to have your coins remilled.

just ideas.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Roll-on Ban deodarant works fantastic if you want a product for tack on your hands or if you have dry skin and don't want anything oily. Add some remilled coins as Jonathan mentions and you'll never want it any other way!

Christian
esmolko
View Profile
New user
Kent, oh
33 Posts

Profile of esmolko
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone, and sorry about the misleading heading. Maybe my hands are too dry, occasionally I do everything right with the coins deep enough in cp. Just the movement of pushing the coin up from ft rest causes that squirt thing, I'll try some of the lotions talked about and see if it helps. I figure one day it'll just happen and I will be consistent, it just seems like it should be so basic to learn. I must be patient
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
Looking at the topic I thought you are talking about squirting nickels that comes from the joke shop haha...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Squirting coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL