The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Pulp Fiction by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4865 Posts

Profile of RNK
Bought this the other day. I must say- not to impressed for having to pay $35.00. The trailor demo is a little misleading- the cards you see on the video show multiple cut outs in them- well the cards you get do not look ANYTHING like the first few cards that are seen in the trailor. For this reason I am disappointed in Jay- I thought he was a little above that- most of his adds are pretty strait on what you see is what you get. On the other hand- the 2 bonus effects you get are pretty good. So that helps justify the purchase- somewhat. But it is aggravating when you buy something and its not what you see in the video- I know- I should know better- this isn't the first time this happened- welcome to the world of magic and advertising. All in all- I feel this is over priced. As a matter of fact- in my first force card revelation- the symbol doesn't even look like a clear diamond- very disappointed- (though in the demo video- Jay's looks just like a diamond!) whoever manufactured these must have just done bulk production- that's another done side of the deck. Oh well- I still like a lot of Jay's stuff- but this is not one of them.

RNK
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8263 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Yeh, just like the twisted key that required a vice and a pair of pliers. According to Sankey this was a precision gimmick. Leave well alone in my opinion.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
731 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Junk mine is for sale for £5 maybe someone would get something out of it!

And I love sankey
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
229 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
Yeah, I don't think this is one of Jay's best creations. My deck is sitting on top of the fridge, and will probably never get used . . .
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
731 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
However the transo effect is good and also some good work on the card stab!

Deck = let down

sigh
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1369 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
I own several Jay Sankey products and I'm a fan of a lot of his material. There are several routines I perform that are from Jay's DVDs.

Having said that I got this the other day and was not impressed. I think the main reason is I just don't get the effect. I can see (& quite like) the first revelation of the two of Diamonds but I cannot see how the second revelation is meant to be the Ace of Hearts. It looks like an upside down V or perhaps a mountain. I showed my wife the performance on the DVD and she said the same thing.

Even if the effect did make sence to me I don't think the routine is strong enough to justify carrying around a full pack of cards to perform. You only have limited pocket space so every deck counts and can you honestly say this is a better routine than (for example) In A Flash which also needs a full deck but the routine is a million times better.

As I said very disapointed with this.

Craig.
Danny Gee
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Danny Gee
I agree with TheTableTopTrixta because his name suggests that he not only knows his way around a table but anyone that uses alliteration must be good at something. lol.

Danny out.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Yup, I agree...
I posted this on another topic-

"OK, I'll state right at the start I own a number of Jay Sankey DVDs/effects. He has been very helpful to me as a newcomer to magic to really think about presentation vs just "doing a trick". I could go on, but let's just say I like much of what he has done.

Now we come to Pulp Fiction... I have this and to put it simply, I'm not too impressed with it. The whole thing, now that I have it and have practiced a bit with it, just seems overly contrived and really falls flat for me. Usually I get excited about trying something out, this doesn't even raise the heart rate. Maybe I'm missing something here, so I'd love to hear others thoughts on Pulp Fiction.

In fact, Punched Transpo, on the same DVD, is much more interesting and is really quite clever IMHO. This is one I want to work on and use, and already the Pulp Fiction deck is being left aside... "

Rest assured, I think I will be much more cautious in the future and wait to see what others say about his new releases. I fell for the hype with this...won't do it again.
jerrydb4
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of jerrydb4
As with most others who have posted, I own many other Sankey products. Having said that, I am very disappointed in this release. Most of my disappointment comes from the deck, especially the Ace of Hearts reveal. As someone said earlier, it looks like an upside down V. The deck looked to be cut much better in the demo than what I received. I really wanted to like this but unfortunately I am pretty disappointed in this one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Pulp Fiction by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL