The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confabulation Needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr S
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Dr S
Hi guys, I'm doing some research on confabulation effects that allow me to slip a bit of paper into a wallet, with an envelope inside that seals up when removed. I have a couple of ideas in mind for methods already but I want to know if there are any really solid marketed ones that exist. My real issue is folding the slip I write the words on. Is there a marketed pad that makes life easier and cleaner?

It would be for radio and TV, so super clean handling is ideal.

I know there are card to wallet gimmicks out there (dimensions appox 2 1/2” x 3 3/4”). Will a loaded envelope that can be sealed on removal be applicable to this prop?

This method looks pretty solid to me, if people know where I can find it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV82fznJoS0
I particularly like how it uses carbon paper so you have the original writing too.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
PM'd you.

Steve
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
715 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Something I don't understand is you never do this effect and you have to do a trick for a radio or tv and you think " ok, I want to do this, even if I never do it in my life ( besides I'm not sure how it works)!

Now, something I think is more sad is people say you ok, you can find it here.
magicians cry about there's too much exposure but in the same time they give all away in two secondes !
Somebody put a link of youtube and ask "I want to do that, where can I find it ?"
I think helping magicians don't mean that but perhaps I'm mistaken ?!
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
There are several wallets that can be used for confabulation, card to wallet, bill to wallet, etc. I've used various designs over the years, but IMO the best is the LePaul wallet. You can load into a sealed coin envelope (like the one seen in the video (a #9 envelope which measures 3 3/8" x 6") is an ideal size, or between two pieces of thin cardboard which are stapled together around all four sides(my personal favorite). The nice thing about the LePaul wallet is that the envelope (or stapled cardboard) is inside a zippered compartment in the wallet. If you know how to properly prepare the envelope (or cardboard) you can allow the SPECTATOR to open it and avoid the weak part of the presentation on the video, which was that the performer, opened the envelope -- far better that it be opened and the slip (or card or bill) removed by the SPECTATOR.

You can probably get a LePaul wallet from YFD. The method for preparing the envelope (or cardboard) can be found in many sources.
Dick Christian
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
What he uses here, is the Ken Brook /Shaxton Wallet.
It is indeed very good

Personally I prefer Jerry O'Connel's

Both wallets come with the pad, which you can choose to use, or not.

The set up is a bit different between the two, and it depends on how you set them up, what you pull out of the zippered compartment.

Sven
Dr S
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Dr S
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 09:27, parmenion wrote:
Something I don't understand is you never do this effect and you have to do a trick for a radio or tv and you think " ok, I want to do this, even if I never do it in my life ( besides I'm not sure how it works)!

Now, something I think is more sad is people say you ok, you can find it here.
magicians cry about there's too much exposure but in the same time they give all away in two secondes !
Somebody put a link of youtube and ask "I want to do that, where can I find it ?"
I think helping magicians don't mean that but perhaps I'm mistaken ?!

Sorry I mustn't have worded myself well enough. I'm a professional working magician. I know how confabulation works, I do a version that uses a photograph that is from Banachek. What I was really enquiring about is a particular BRAND of gimmick that is clean enough for me to start using from now on, so that it will also look good on TV and so that radio hosts aren't able to openly describe me messing about with the pad and envelope too much.

All the stuff about exposure is not what I am asking, I just want a solid marketed method so that I don't have to gaff one up myself.

Thanks to the others who have helped with that.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4320 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
If you're planning on doing magic on the radio, then you should check out Banachek's CDs on the subject.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 13:40, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
If you're planning on doing magic on the radio, then you should check out Banachek's CDs on the subject.

Philemon, you beat me to that one.

Banachek's Radio Magic is a great source for a lot of good radio mentalism. I've done his version explained on the discs for a big drive time morning show in Atlanta and it went over perfectly. The callers got to choose the targets. It was one of my favorite moments as a performer. I don't know why this product isn't mentioned more, as many of the effects works just as well on stage or at a private party.

You don't need fancy props if you are doing it on the radio, just a fancy set of ideas.

;-)

Don
Dr S
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Dr S
That sounds too good not to buy. *sigh* the budget will just have to stretch to get it, *** you both!

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Dr S, not to strain your budget more, but I used the LePaul wallet that Dick Christian mentions above.

I got mine from Tannen's years ago. Are those fellas still in the game?

Anyhow, the envelope is a good idea, but the stapled card idea might do better for you as it can't be explained away as a tricky envelope.

Also, you mentioned radio AND T.V...I think the stapled card would be very good for both, but especially for TV.

Keep us posted on your search. I would love to talk more in detail, but not here so PM me if you have any direct questions. Great effect for radio when done well.

D.
Dr S
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Dr S
Just for everyone's info, I ordered the LePaul wallet and the Jerry O'Connel pad. Will see if that combo works.

AND just ordered the Banachek Radio Magic CDS. Thanks for that one Philemon and DT3
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
In my not so humble opinion, the JOL Plus Large seems do meet your needs.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Do just about all confabulation routines involve small bits of paper inside wallets? I enjoyed Paul Stockmans routine, where the confabulation was written in big letters on the underside of a tray.

What else is there like that?

Tom
xx
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Dr S
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Dr S
In Banachek's Psychological Subtleties 3 there is an awesome one that uses a photo. People name content of the photo (colour of clothing, the time it was taken ect). I use it currently, highly recommended.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confabulation Needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL