We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any guitar players (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Hey guys,
I'm wishing to learn to play an acoustic guitar, never attempted until yesterday, my fingers feel like they are bleeding!
I no they will toughen up but will hard fingers effect my card magic do you think? or will it be fine?
cheers
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I don't have a problem, however; most of my card handling comes with my strong (right) hand.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I have no problems with the guitar callouses and card magic.

It may be a coincidence, but I have developed arthritis in my right (pick) hand but my left hand is fine. I don't know if guitar playing has anything to do with this. (On the other hand, I have recurring tendonitis in my left wrist and I'm pretty sure that the guitar contributes to it.)

Have fun.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
No problems here. Remember though, no sliding down unwounds until you've toughened up your skin a little.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
The strange thing about guitar calluses is that after they heal, you wouldn't even know the difference when doing magic. I fingerpick occasionally (jazz guitar) and have calluses on both hands with no negative effects on my magic. If anything it helps me... with flexibility and such.
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 09:55, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

It may be a coincidence, but I have developed arthritis in my right (pick) hand but my left hand is fine. I don't know if guitar playing has anything to do with this. (On the other hand, I have recurring tendonitis in my left wrist and I'm pretty sure that the guitar contributes to it.)

Have fun.

I don't know about the arthritis but playing can definitely cause tendonitis in the hands. Some people will say to check your hand position, however; I've had just as much problem with correct hand position.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 19:29, Dreadnought wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 09:55, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Have fun.

I don't know about the arthritis but playing can definitely cause tendonitis in the hands. Some people will say to check your hand position, however; I've had just as much problem with correct hand position.

Peace and Godspeed.

Improving my hand position has eased the problem but it hasn't elimintated it, I'm afraid.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Yeah it eases the pain, but it still produces some tendonitis, at least in me and some others.

I had a professor who told me that the correct position is painful because it is from an un-natural bend between the wrist and the elbow, especially when reaching the lower tones on the 5th and 6th strings. If you play sitting down, elevating your off side leg will put you in a more natural position and reduce the stress on the wrist allowing for more flexibility because it raises the neck. If you play standing up then the same can be accomplished by lowering the body and raising the neck or bringing the entire guitar up. Long story short... if your hand position is correct and the pain is still intense try adjusting your body or the guitar and sometimes adjusting one means you adjust the other.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Apparently you can get a rounded pad of some kind that sits on your thigh puts the guitar in the same position you'd get if you used a foot stool.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Yeah, personally, I don't like em, the feel is not right.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I found it affected my touch with the piano.

ironically I played so much super mario bros.wii
that my thumb had a callous and it didn't affect
my touch.

so I don't know, it depends on how you work with it.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Don't practice guitar after your fingers hurt!

Take a break, put some lotion on your fingers, and then come back to the guitar later.

Don't worry. The callouses from playing guitar will not adversely affect your magic in any way.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I wonder about Jimmy Page's wrist....
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I've been playing for 20 years. Never had a problem and my finger tips are like steel! LOL Well.. Maybe not steel. Smile But they are very calloused.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any guitar players (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL