The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Im doing some mentalism market research and I need your help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
What I would like you to do is to just think of a playing card from a regular deck of cards.

Then if you could send me a PM with the name of the playing card and also your gender and age group (20 - 30, 30 - 40, 40 - 50 etc)

Thank you in advance to all who help me out.

Matt
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
PM'D YOU

Paul
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
I pm'ed you too Matt
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Thanks for everyones help so far!!! I have 10 people who have helped me out, lets keep this going!

M
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
632 Posts

Profile of Sensio
You could do this with Facebook and get more repsonses (from laymen too...)

Just an idea!
SENSIOPAD - Finest Peeking Technology

K N O C K O U T M E N T A L I S M . C O M
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Good idea!!! Thanks fella!!!

don't want to influence anything but so far out of 16 replies, NOONE has metioned a certain suit. The other 3 have been mentioned but not this one..... weird.....

M
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
Mathew

There is a webstie ( forgot the name ) which lets you make your own free surveys.
In my opinion it would work 10 faster + you don't have to count . The web does it
for you and gives you graphs and all.

Paul.W
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

That's good information Paul!!!

When I have collected my massive ammpount of data I will have a look for it!

M
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
Matthew,
The problem with this type of survey is that it does not translate in the real world. Sitting behind my computer, with no pressure on me, no reason to think of a card will yield much different results than when someone is one stage, under pressure, people looking at them...

I have found that I can garner different responses from an audience depending on the following:
How I phrase the question.
When in the show I ask the question.
The age of the person.
The gender of the person.
The person's race or cultural background.
Why I am asking the question.

Not to mention that magicians/mentalists do not give the same answer as lay people. In fact I have found that Magicians/mentalists usually reply with some sort of Club. Lay people almost never do.

I don't know why you want this information but I would hate for you to waste your time gathering information that is not going to help you when you apply it to the real world.

I and some of my friends have discussed (and experimented) at length with psychological forces for cards. They are never 100% but with the proper forethought and tight scripting you can get some amazingly high percentages. But that is where the secret lies..the scripting, timing, and understanding of that particular audience.

Good luck.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

I understand your concerns however I am asking magicians and lay people.

I ask people in person to "just think of a playint card and write it down for me"

that's it

I aim to ask as many people as possible and I expect this will take weeks if not months to do.

I am staring with magicians since I am already sat at my desk howeever I am off out in a few mins and will be doing more research then in the outsdide world with "real people"

I would be interested to see what card you thought of. If I get a good enough result I might be able to have a set of cards for the lay public and a set of force cards for magicians too.

M
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12071 Posts

Profile of John C
But we aren't magicians here. We are mentalists, mind readers, thought transmitters, psycho illusionists etc.

Just to add to the burning embers.

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of rasp
Hi Matt,
pm sent.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Sounds like fun. I like how everyone here tries to come to your rescue and tell you how to do this better despite you never sharing your reason for asking!

Have PM'd you my card. I also guess that spades was the "aforementioned unmentioned" suit.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2076 Posts

Profile of yachanin
PM'd you, too.

Regards, Steve
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3061 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 09:16, Paul.W wrote:
Mathew

There is a webstie ( forgot the name ) which lets you make your own free surveys.
In my opinion it would work 10 faster + you don't have to count . The web does it
for you and gives you graphs and all.

Paul.W

Surveymonkey.com
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
632 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Since I am part of this survey, may I buy the results half price?

:)
SENSIOPAD - Finest Peeking Technology

K N O C K O U T M E N T A L I S M . C O M
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
PM sent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Im doing some mentalism market research and I need your help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL