The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » One way to spin metals (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
That was oddly fascinating to watch. I'm emailing Donnie and asking him why it took 72 hours for my cups to arrive when obviously they were produced in about 45 seconds.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's because the post office uses "live" people.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
I don't think you'd want to know the cost of your cups if Donnie had to add in the cost of that lathe.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I dunno. Will there be no real craftspeople in the future??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGszBVy3cgU&feature=related
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
I found both of those links very interesting. I have been an amateur wood worker since high school. I have done some metal work as well. Never any metal spinning though. I have considered trying my hand at turning a set of wooden cups with the lathe that is collecting dust at the moment. Although the process is completely different, these videos have inspired me to give it a shot. Now all I have to do is find a place to set up. I don't think it would work well in a one bedroom apartment Smile
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Spinning is tough work, I used to have metal aluminum hat rack bases spun in a Brooklyn shop. We had to do small work was harder. Cups had the reverse flange. Chop cups were spun a second time after the m**net was placed in it.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Tab.... that guy was a talented artisan. I know there are CNC spinning machines. I think the guy I use has 'em as his main biz is parts for the aircraft industry. He does stuff for me 'cuz he loves magic. His father made Wheatley's FIRST metal chop cups. He made my Galli Galli and Johnny Paul cups.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-04-19 13:33, Pete Biro wrote:... His father made Wheatley's FIRST metal chop cups. He made my Galli Galli and Johnny Paul cups....

Your Johnny Paul cups have a lot of soul for sure.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I find all of these information very impressive (and attractive)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2010-04-19 01:27, Andrewzuber wrote:
That was oddly fascinating to watch. I'm emailing Donnie and asking him why it took 72 hours for my cups to arrive when obviously they were produced in about 45 seconds.

RNT2 doesn't use CNC machines for spinning, but it still goes pretty quick when you put your back into it... The cost of those machines is astronomical.
Even if we did, all cups require multiple spins when beads, saddle dimples or gaffs are added. Only since I took over the production have we made "piece blocks", or sometimes called "puzzle blocks", which allow us to spin the center beads right into the cup during the initial spin. It's faster and reduces the deep spin lines around the center beads which always take time to polished out. The new Foxy 3 is spun this way.
What I'd like to see is a automated metal polishing machine...
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
Here ya go.

http://www.utmachinery.com/polishing.html

It probably just costs a couple of dollars.

-Brian
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Ha! Thanks ekins.
The vendor of that equipment is only about 45 minutes from me... But it looks like a beast!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Just for me to get an idea: when you say that the cost of such machines are astronomical, what range of money are you talking about?

What about the cost of a Polishing/Buffing Machine (maybe "station" would probably be more appropriate)

Are there heavy maintenance costs as well?

Just to have an idea of the size of the investment apart from the time cost, talent acquisition cost, space cost etc...
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I wonder if ebay has any used ones for sale cheap? Smile

The average from $8,000 to $23,000 on ebay, but I vet you need more than just this machine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bolton-12-x30-HIGH-P......85d099df
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
No, no, no .... wrong type of lathe. A CNC spinning lathe is not an ordinary run of the mill CNC lathe. A CNC spinning lathe is huge and costs around $150,000 for the basic machine. Making cups would never pay for it.

see:
http://www.denn.es/eng/spinning_lathes.php

http://www.boko.com/SpinningLathe.htm

http://www.leifeld.co.uk/
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'll take a dozen. Thnks... tht settles that.
angeloturn
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of angeloturn
Terry Tynan is the fellow in the you tube video. He is an excellent metal spinner and teacher. I know first hand as I have taken two weekend classes with him.

If you visit his website he sells a video to teach you how to spin metal on a mini lathe. Like I have said in the past, no secrets just good technique.

Still to start from scratch it's not cheep to assemble a working spinning station

A
Leave no wood unturned.....A
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 07:28, Lawrence O wrote:
Just for me to get an idea: when you say that the cost of such machines are astronomical, what range of money are you talking about?

What about the cost of a Polishing/Buffing Machine (maybe "station" would probably be more appropriate)

Are there heavy maintenance costs as well?

Just to have an idea of the size of the investment apart from the time cost, talent acquisition cost, space cost etc...

the very machine that Gary Knight uses to spin his cups can be had for about 6000 $ US with no extras or other tools...

I wish I could give more details, Gary used to have GREAT details about how to spin cups on his site, but his old site is currently down.

I wish he'd join in on this conversation!

Spinning your own cups isn't impossible -difficult and costly, but not impossible.

Just saying.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » One way to spin metals (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL