The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » I can't believe it... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
483 Posts

Profile of reynold
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
That's pathetic...not even enough creativity of his own to change a single thing. We should really focus on teaching our young people more about the creative process AND ethics in show business.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Here is the act that he ripped off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lU0EJ0Lelc

in his description he says it was "inspired" by Rudy Coby, but it looks like a mirror image to me.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Not sure if this guy is a magician or not. This was a high school talent show, and that doesn't exactly equate to much beyond amateur performances. Such impersonation acts are not totally uncommon (Michael Jackson, Brittany Spears, etc.), but I think this is the first time I've seen a magician getting imitated. In such events, most are one-off performances and then forgotten. Yes, it is a ripoff, so we should just hope he doesn't plan to go beyond this YouTubed venue with it.

That being said, I'm not sure how many people in that audience realize how good of a ripoff it actually is.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
I'm lost for words.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Please .. lets not get our panties in a bunch here, it's a high school talent show. I don't think we really need to worry about this guy getting booked at the Castle.

Relax people ...

Steve
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1585 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
LOL! The things people get upset about. I thought that it was entertaining. It was funny as hell to watch. Both videos. Thanks for sharing.
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
720 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
This has me thinking...I have seen Michael Jackson, ACDC, Elvis, Guns and Roses tribute bands lately. However, this was probably not "sold" as a tribute and the audience probably thinks it is his act. That is where the BIG problem is and this does not look like a high school student.

This appears to be an adult.

Jamie

Posted: Apr 19, 2010 5:12pm
He has this posted on his youtube page:

Really fun magic skit for a high school talent show by the four legged man with some loss of limbs. Don't worry all in good fun. Inspired by a great magician Rudy Coby.
Jamie Salinas
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1585 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Big problem? In the grand scheme of it all this is pretty insignificant. Let the guy to his thing or someone elses thing. We all have seen copy cats before and they never seem to rise to the top. I think that people will laugh at this and he may even go far (it was pretty entertaining to me) but he can only go so far before it is pointed out that he is a fraud. Tribute or not this is not a big problem. Now a big problem would be the masked moron and he aint all that. Anyway, it is fun watching these witch hunt posts. So keep up the bashing. LOL!!!
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Reynold, its good that you are against copy cats but looking at your promo video is see that you have illusions in your show that you use without permission.
so before accusing someone of nerves of steal you might want to take a look at your own show...
Nothing against you - Just playing the devil's advocate.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
It's a high school kid.

more than anything he is paying homage to Rudy ...
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
483 Posts

Profile of reynold
TristanMagic:

Ahh, there is always someone that wants to be the smart one.
ALL my illusions are legit. The only one that is not is Origami and there is an explanation. That was my first illusion when I was 18 years old when I knew nothing about rights. Later when I learned, I made sure ALL my illusions are original. To further prove my integrity I personally told Mr. Steinmeyer about it and offer his royalties and he didn't care. So, if the creator didn't care why should you?

On the other hand Rudy will definitely care about this video.

Thanks,
Reynold
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
Part of the problem here is the issue of exposure. If you watch the kids video there were several flaws including a very poorly made seance cloth. I would love to know what Rudy thinks about it but as for me, I'd be a little upset...if someone wants to make a tribute performance that's one thing but 1. Get permission and 2. Do it well.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Sorry Reynold...You purposely type 'ALL' in caps but then go on to give an exception.

Nice caveat, asterisk, excuse or whatever you want to call it. I highly doubt Steinmeyer doesn't mind. Plus Jim will not ever accept royalties for a knock off. The reason is that it cheapens all the legit ones and there is no quality control. It's far more than rights and royalties.

If you truly care about rights, authorized legitimate illusions, etc, you wouldn't have the Origami today and would not use it in your video.

"So, if the creator didn't care why should you? "...that is comical at best.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
483 Posts

Profile of reynold
Living Illusions:

There is more to the Origami subject I didn't want to get into detail.

I retired Origami about 5 years ago from the show because I didn't want knock offs in my show and also I felt everybody is doing Origamis. I substituted Origami for another oriental piece: Shadow Origami (also in the video). I kept Origami in the video is because I thought it looked nice with the Oriental scenery which is something you don't get the chance in every show.

That being said it is no longer in the show. As a matter of fact I am in the process to start editing my new video (2010) and Origami is gone. But it will take a while until I finish the video and post it.

Also, I want to make sure, are you calling me a liar regarding Steinmeyer? I talked to him at the Louisville SAM convention for about an hour. I explained the story and I told him it was no longer in the show. I also shared a lot of my ideas with him on other illusions. He liked my ideas and realized Origami was a mistake from my youth.

I think you can tell from my demo I don't need knock offs.

Hope this helps,
Reynold
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Did you get permission from Rudi Cody or from Rafael to use the robot table/skeleton idea?
I know the half girl table is Dante's creation but Rudy Coby was the first to put a robot on the legs & Rafael came up with the skeleton.
So it's not only the origami, you also 'stole' a idea from Rudy Coby & Rafael!
Concerning the origami, I think Steinmeyer was just being nice to you since he does care about his creations and if you really learn from your mistakes you would have removed the origami from your promo video a long time ago (how hard is it to edit a video?)
Having your ripoff origami on there because of the nice oriental scenery is a lame excuse...
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
483 Posts

Profile of reynold
Tristanmagic:

Please lower your attitude!
I already solved the skeleton issue with Rafael months back and we solved it like Gentlemen, I did not steal his table but again that was solved between him and I and it does not concern you in any. Who are you to give you any details?

Regarding Steinmeyer: One thing is what you think and what really happened is another. He does care about his creations but I explained the story behind it and he was cool about it specially since its no longer in the show. Obviously he does not encourage it. Again that was resolved between Jim and I and it does not involve you in any way.

My Origami is going to be edited soon; but who are you to judge my reason to keep it on the video for a while for the scenery?

Thanks again,
Reynold
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1585 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Wow! How did this thread start? What was it about? I think that the attacks should stop as it is not beneficial to anyone here. I have had my arguments with members here on many occasions and I have been embarrased about them all. I have learned that I can be passionate about the magic arts and not be an ***. In the past I would get caught up in the battle of words and in the end it didn't help out any magicians at all. I think that this type of thread is bad for the Café as it leaves the innocent readers the impression that if you state your opinion, no matter right or wrong that you will get blasted. ALL my illusions and mini illusions are from the original builders. I would never buy a ripp off as the ones I bought from the original builders barely work themselves (i.e. Jumbo Sidekick). I would not want to risk it with a lesser builder. However if others do, it really doesn't hurt me. No amount of bashing here on the Café will stop those that copy, steal or BORROW others ideas to get ahead. Like I said earlier, it will only get them so far and then they are stuck at a level of mediocrocy.

Kevin has made it big time because he is original and takes an idea (walking thru a fan) and makes it better (pushing thru a jet engine fan. I believe he did it on TV last year, right?

I am sure that everyone here has tried to copy DC before. I know when I first started out as a little kid I did and later on I tailor made that trick to my own. The confidence I got from the DC way of doing it helped me make my own routine.

The video here is just some person trying to make the talent show entertaining and in my opinion he did. I never really saw this skit by Ruby Colby as an amazing feat of magic. It was always a comedy skit with a little magic. Lets be kind to one another and start helping each other out instead of bringing each other down.

Okay I am off my soapbox and I only said all of this to eclipse the 700 post mark. Yippee!!!!
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
For the record the Jet Turbine is not our idea or creation. The thing we did to change it up is the use of CO2 for the vanish. The behind the scene changes we made are how it is assembled, the cases it travels in and making it actually possible to troupe with. The entire thing can be assembled in far less time then the other three that are out there.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1585 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Kevin,

I stand corrected. That kills my argument a little. LOL!! But you do it better than anyone out there.

When are you going to be in Oklahoma again? I definitely do not want to miss your show again.

Take care,
Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » I can't believe it... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL