The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Flight Deck - John Kennedy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I am thinking of buying this for some summer gigs, small stage stuff. It is pretty expensive, though, and the "no trade back" part of magic has me a bit hesitant.

If there is anyone who would consent to give a user's opinion on this effect, I would much appreciate it. Only those who have used it, please.

I would like to know-

1. Is it well-made, i.e. will it last?
2. How angle-proof is it?
3. Do you have trouble with specs turning the deck over and exposing things?
4. Can you, or do you, provide your own glass? Can it be any reasonable glass?
5. Does it play big enough for stage work?

Any other thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
This is a fantastic prop - meticulously crafted, works perfectly every time, and the effect is very strong. You can use any glass you like (I use a champagne flute, so that the deck easily covers the entire mouth). There is nothing for the spectators to see, the gaff is completely invisible - if the spectators turn the card box over, they still would see nothing. The only angle to concern yourself with is looking underneath the deck. This can play on stage, but is primarily a close-up and parlor routine. While the price is high, I feel it is good value for the money, as the prop is so well made and it should last forever.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Hey buddy, I've been using this for several years. It's well made. The thing I really like is that the coin drops at a set time (you don't control the timing, it's built into the apparatus) so it's pretty much self-working. I only perform it during a close up set at the end of a coins across routine. (I usually perform it as the final coin of Homer Liwag's "Coin One" routine or Paul Wilson's wonderful coins and glass routine). You can use any glass, although I wouldn't use something really small like a shot glass. The unit fits in a card case so any case will work. As far as angles are concerned, as long as nobody is looking under the card case (e.g. spectators sitting on the floor) then all is good. Even the back and side angles are good in the routine I perform because I place the deck momentarily on my hand which contains the coin(s), while I move the glass to the center of table, and then it's placed on the glass. When the deck is removed from my hand everything looks exactly the same so there are no suspicions aroused. I've never performed the routine for a large audience, so I don't know how well it would play on stage; although, I'd imagine that the audible element (i.e. sound of coin falling into glass) enables the vanish and reappearance of the last coin to play big enough for stage.

Best,
MJ
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Jim,

John's Flight Deck is a very well made item. You don't really need to worry about angle issues.You can show both sides of the deck.

I'd suggest you also look at Bob Swadling's Power pack. You can't go wrong with either item. They are both an investment.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Well, not a lot of response, but what I got was clear and very valuable. So, I thank Bill, MJ and algebraic- much appreciated, folks! Now off to buy Flight Deck from John...

Regards,

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
You won't be disappointed, it is a great prop. Let us know what you think once you get it -

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Flight Deck - John Kennedy (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL