The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » What's in 'your' deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3622 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
This thread is to discuss how to put many different effects into one card box, something I have been doing for some time now, but know I have only scratched the surface. Gaffed or regular, as long as the deck can be reasonably shown to be "normal".

Currently, I have the bottom set up for Bannon's Triumph, with the card I need for Torn ready to go at the very bottom. In the middle, I can pull out Card Warp several times, and have a Monte routine ready to go.

Sprinkled in the deck are the 4 aces. The top of the deck is set up for Jumping Gemini. I go thru the deck to get the aces (I think that looks less set up) and do Dr. Daley's Last Trick followed by Vernon's Spinning the Aces, ending ready for Gemini.

After that I am ready for Triumph, or if the specs chooses wrongly I go right into LMCT and then Triumph.

With Diplopia at the ready, and several others that need no set up, I am well armed. Longe's Easy Estimation is always there for an encore.

Anyone else have a good set up, or ideas of what could mix together to give a complete routine within one deck of cards?

Jim

P.s. I always have one short card as well...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Power of Poker by John Bannon. Then usually I'll do one of the routines from Aaron Fisher - Search & Destroy.

I set the ten last cards in the bottom of the deck. I usually ask help from audience to take the first half of the deck to shuffle. I will show how to do overhand shuffle to them, so I bring the 10 cards to the top but they're in reversed position.

Then I'll square the deck and do 3-cuts false cut and hand the whole deck to them. Then I will ask them to count and put first 10 cards onto the table. Then I'll do the routine. Mind-blowing as they saw and they did the shuffle Smile

If time allows me, I will set up the deck for Master Poker Deal from Andrew Murray's Thirteen.

It will give me a good 10 to 15 minutes quickie with my spectators Smile

Btw, Jim, what's the short card for? Who knows I can learn something here.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A Koornwinder Kontrol Kard, and often a contrasting color back card for Chicago Opener/Surprise.

However, for a formal show recently, I had the setup for Don Alan's Big Deal and the gaffed cards for McDonald's Aces. By careful management, I had no problems.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Hi Pete, I'm interested in how you 'clean' your deck after doing McDonald's Aces. For sure we have to put the cards away, how do you do that without raising suspicion from your spectators?

We can always switch the deck, but sometimes bringing two or more decks are too much hassle.

Thanks.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I close with Mickey D's Aces and just put the cards away. I tend to keep things simple.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Failed Magician-

I use it for all sorts of things, mostly as a key card that you don't have to see and can put anywhere in the deck...

Jim
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

To be honest, I even don't know the function of a key card as I'm fairly new to magic tricks.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Forgot to mention, I also have Color Monte set up using regular cards...
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
4 ace on top, duplicate at bottom and matching card to the duplicate third from the bottom. And a different color card for red hot mama between the jokers and advertising cards. I don't have routine set up it just ready to do ace productions, Daleys trick, transpos, chicago opener, impossible card locations also carry a hankey.
gautamagick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of gautamagick
Closing with it as Pete suggested is fine. You may poket the deck as if everything is over. Then bring the cold deck and do one or a few more before you leave It is stronger.
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of slim23
I always have a short card like the 2 of spades to use as a locator card.
I also use it as a added element that keeps poping and " disturbing" my ambitious card routine. I am also a teacher so when they have a test, I'll pass between the rows and magically always find the 2 of spade. In quebec, this cards represents a loser, so I get a laugh out of this.

I also keep a duplicate in my deck and doubleback card that I can leave in the box.

Slim

p.s. I kind of like this post. A couple of nice ideas...
rottenmagic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of rottenmagic
I use a fairly simple deck setup, as most of the stuff I do does not require gaffed cards (kinda weird because I love gaffed cards, I make them all the time, and have a huge collection of them).

The setup I normally use is the four aces on top, the jokers just below the aces (for 2 card monte), an odd backed gaff (for chicago opener and a torn and restored effect) and a duplicate of the gaff just above it. With this setup I can do at least five different effects right out of the box, then any number of effects that use no gaffs or special card positions. What I like about this setup is that the gaffed and positioned cards are top and bottom loaded. To me that means that false shuffling is a lot easier and any number a false riffle shuffles can be used (I personally believe that riffle shuffles are one of the most convincing of all the false shuffles, especially the "in the hands" veriety)and when the torn and restored effect is done, all you have to do is shuffle the deck to clean it up.
superpixel
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
131 Posts

Profile of superpixel
I was just setting up a deck for this weekend and did the following (try to guess my inspiration!) from bottom up:
- bottom cards are a couple of Twilight Angels
- then a double-faced
- then a double-back
- joker with a corner clipped for key card
- then a signed card w/my phone #
- then my phone # for Cellmates

I start with Synergy and only use half the deck. I can go into Pure Telepathy

But I made an "angel case" a while ago (in Strange Traveler) to keep a few gaffed cards in with a regular deck. If I use that I add the gaffs from Twisted Sisters.
-- superpixel = Victor --
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Some good ideas here which I will try out along with my regular set up. I just started experimenting with a Bicycle stripper deck, and that really rocks. I had never really taken the time to use and understand the power of this deck. Combined with my other stuff I am really enjoying working with it...

Anybody out there use a stripper as their regular deck? Outside of cost, what is the disadvantage?

Jim
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Williamsburg, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
I normally always start with the four aces on the bottom. I reset my deck like this EVERY TIME. That way I can cut them to the top for Marlo's "Estimation Aces" or I can roll into Mike Vincent's Four Ace Routine...other than that, the rest is Jazz...
I find it too hard to just stick to a set regimen...I vary my opener for the group, but always know my closer-the Mastermind Deck at the moment. A nice little switch-a-roo takes care of that.

Jonathan Brown
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I'm too lazy to do all this stuff. The most I'll do is one stranger card for a transposition. Otherwise, I only work FASDIU.
danmarimba123
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of danmarimba123
Thanks for some great suggestions
Odilon
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Odilon
I have a duplicate on top for my card to pocket and/or card transpo.
On the bottom I have a different card for the chicago opener.
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of dobber
I am a FASDIU/impromptu guy but lately I've been intrigued with the Br*****r C****p. Not sure if I needed to mask that.

It's just there in case I feel like using it and sometimes I don't. I'll probably ditch it in a couple of weeks.
calen.morelli.
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of calen.morelli.
I have not bought the ultra gaff deck yet but it seems really good as far as gaff tricks go, any thoughts on it.

calen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » What's in 'your' deck? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL