We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Classic Coin Vanisher by George Millward (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of WanderingMagician
I've been trying to figure out a way to simultaneously vanish 3 or 4 coins, for a routine I'm working on. Yes, I know that there are numerous sleight-of-hand ways to accomplish this, but with the amount of other suff I've got going on at the same time as having to do the vanish (stealing other coins) I am beginning to think that I may need something a little more mechanical to do the vanish.

Then I saw an ad for the 'Classic Coin Vanisher' by George Millward at Hocus Pocus. Can anyone post a review of this gismo?

Is it any improvement on a traditional coin clip (which was my first possible solution to my requirement)? Can I perform another coin routine (e.g. 3 fly) immediately prior to going into the vanish? Can I perform this almost surrounded in a busy restaurant or in a strolling situation? Is it practical, or just another contender for my drawer of magical duff stuff?
themagicl
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of themagicl
The vanisher is very good. It is modeled after the vanisher used and described in Ross Bertram's book.

Questions in order.
Yes
maybe
yes
very practical
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Thanks for your comments.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Bertram book, but it sounds like this thing may be worth my consideration.

I'm not trying to fish for the secret here but I was wondering how easy it is to clean up after the vanish. As a working restaurant magician I need to know how long it takes to set up to perform the vanish and whether the vanish can easily be repeated at the next table.
themagicl
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of themagicl
This set up is very quick and easy. Vanisher is well hidden when loaded after vanish. Yes, you can be ready for next table, probable time 30 seconds
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Ordered it yesterday. Now I just hope that it will fit in with my routine.

Thanks for your help.

Well I just received this. To be honest I feel a little cheated. Not because the gimmick is bad (it isn't) but simply because the pictures advertising the effect at Hocus Pocus are very very misleading. I really didn't know what to expect from this but I DID expect to be able to perform this in a T-shirt as shown clearly from the not so clear photos. This is not the case (unless I modify the gimmick, sit at a table, and use a different kind of sleight).

It'll do the job but there is nothing new or clever in this gimmick so for the money I think there might be better and cheaper alternatives.
themagicl
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of themagicl
I feel some responsibility for your dissappointment as I originally responded to your questions.

So, I did some research.

I contacted George Millward after having seen the video ad on Hocup Pocus. I had not seen it before your comment. Neither had he!

George and I discussed it over the phone and could not figure out how the effect was done without modification as you comment.

George finally tracked down who performed and made the video. PURE GENIUS!

There has been no modification. He simple ran the device through the front of the shirt in the space between the buttons. Good hand movement and camera angle made this a great dissappearance.

This is not in the instructions and George is going to ask for permission to include it in the future.

As I had said this wasn't a new idea, simply the embodiment of Ross Bertram's design.
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

TheMagicI,

Thank you for your efforts with this. No need to feel bad about the recommendations you made. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Everything that you originally said about the vanisher was perfectly correct. It is indeed a perfectly good coin vanisher. I will use this thing, just not as described in the instructions.

However I would very much like to read the explanation of the method as performed at Hocus pocus site. I still stand by my opinion that the pictures are misleading. As you say they must rely on camera angles, but more importantly on doing other movements between the still picture sequence provided, or asking the spectators to close their eyes for 1-2 seconds as you perform the vanish!

Looking at the pictures provided it is fair for someone to assume that:

the hands do not come near the body,
a table is not required,
you can perform the effect in short sleeves.

I do not believe that this is the case, but if the new method allows for ALL three of the above to be the case I will accept that the photos are not misleading.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Classic Coin Vanisher by George Millward (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL