The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Etiquette Lady Has Passed Away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
She wasn't a celebrity, but she sure knew how to perfectly arrange that silverware. (Elizabeth Post.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100427/ap_e......eth_post

Anyway, personally, I never did get that etiquette stuff. Maybe it's because I'm not high society?

I mean I can see simple considerate manners, like "Don't belch, or fart, or pick your nose, flick boogers and spit-wads, or chew tobacco, or sneeze at the table. Don't reach across someone else's plate, don't wolf your food and don't drool or slobber on yourself, don't chew with your mouth open. Don't lick your plate or slurp loudly, and don't pick food off the floor and eat it." Yes, I can see all that. Not a problem. Just common courtesy and civil manners.

But this stuff about "Your fork must be at this certain position, and your soup spoon must be positioned at such and such a spot by your salad plate, and your napkin must be folded in this certain way and positioned between the fork and soup spoon at this specified angle,...and hold your pinky up at this angle when drinking...

Whata bunch of hogwash! The richy rich can keep that garbage.

Sorry, I just never got it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Good manners are meant to put others at ease.

I wish my manners were better in that regard.

Some manners were meant to keep others in their place and exclude outsiders who aren't members of your group. Like a secret handshake.

- Mary Mowder
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 14:03, daffydoug wrote:
She wasn't a celebrity, but she sure knew how to perfectly arrange that silverware. (Elizabeth Post.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100427/ap_e......eth_post

Anyway, personally, I never did get that etiquette stuff. Maybe it's because I'm not high society?

I mean I can see simple considerate manners, like "Don't belch, or fart, or pick your nose, flick boogers and spit-wads, or chew tobacco, or sneeze at the table. Don't reach across someone else's plate, don't wolf your food and don't drool or slobber on yourself, don't chew with your mouth open. Don't lick your plate or slurp loudly, and don't pick food off the floor and eat it." Yes, I can see all that. Not a problem. Just common courtesy and civil manners.

But this stuff about "Your fork must be at this certain position, and your soup spoon must be positioned at such and such a spot by your salad plate, and your napkin must be folded in this certain way and positioned between the fork and soup spoon at this specified angle,...and hold your pinky up at this angle when drinking...

Whata bunch of hogwash! The richy rich can keep that garbage.

Sorry, I just never got it.

Which is why you'll never be accepted amoungst the Hoi Polloi even if you become fabulously wealthy. Etiquette is what separates the Noble class from the unruly, and often quite smelly, peasants. Much of it makes sense if you go back far enough. the placement of silverware is inventory control. Back when silverware was in fact made out of silver, and solid silver at that not the cheap plate that is commonly used today) it was important to keep a careful eye on it. A properly positioned layout of utensils was much like a well maintained workbench. With a proper place for everything you could tell at a glance what was missing and then set out on a search to find the culprit who'd nicked the missing oyster fork.
The extended pinky is a hold over from the middle ages. In a world before forks you ate with your fingers. To keep flavours from inappropriately mingling you used different fingers for different types of food. the pinky was reserved for spices. thus you kept it extended to keep it out of the various sauces and grease so as not to sully the extremely expensive spices that you used your little finger to apply.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
I agree a lot of it is hogwash, though there are some of those habits I've taken especially during an interview. One of the strangest habits I've never understood but do anyways is, during a professional interview, always order your sandwiches OPEN-faced.

Always did wonder where that came from...
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2448 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I think, generally speaking, that most "etiquette rules" go into ridiculous detail because they are hard to describe without seeming over-detailed ... but in practical terms they work out rather simply.

All that "spoon and fork" stuff? Let the servers and hosts worry ... all you have to know, as a guest, is "use the outside one first." Besides, all that specialized cutlery? It's not the 1920's. You won't find it anywhwere anymore - not for anywhere you and I are likely to go (knife, fork and spoon should be there when you sit down, and should be replaced with clean ones if the meal requires, or somebody's not getting the tip they hoped for).

As for most other rules? They wouldn't be there if egregiously ill-mannered people weren't out there offending you and me daily. You actually have to TELL some people "no 'wishing wells' or 'money trees' at weddings", "you have to stand in line and sometimes take 'no' for an answer just like everybody else", "no you can't treat your family or a store clerk or anyone else that way", "keep your paws off the pastries at the grocery store", and much more.

For some deeply disturbed reason I daily check the ETIQUETTE HELL FORUM probably for the same reason I sometimes watch COPS - to reassure myself that my extended family is not the most dysfunctional one on the planet.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
"Manners are a way of getting what we want without appearing to be an absolute swine."
-Quentin Crisp
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Payne, thanks for the lesson. Always wondered about the pinky.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Two of my favourite 'rules' from days gone by:

"While walking on a footpath with a lady, a gentleman always places himself between the lady and the curb." (Still a chance for gallantry in wet weather I suppose)

"A gentleman should always enter a lift (elevator) before a lady." (Nowadays with fewer and fewer lifts plummeting to the ground every day it seems, perhaps this one can be let go)
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I am good at that kind of thing..opening doors for my fiance, pulling out her chair...to me that is gentlemanly behavior. Good chivalry. But I'm still not buying into the silverware rules!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Penn & Teller did a really good episode of BS on this subject.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 14:29, Payne wrote:
Which is why you'll never be accepted amoungst the Hoi Polloi even if you become fabulously wealthy.

No offense, Payne, but you obviously misunderstand who the "Hoi Polloi" are.

You and I and Daffydoug and Kevin...WE are the Hoi Polloi.

Which means you also misunderstood one of the best jokes of Caddyshack.

"Ahoy, Polloi!"

Cracks me up every time. But perhaps you need to know some Greek.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 17:31, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 14:29, Payne wrote:
Which is why you'll never be accepted amoungst the Hoi Polloi even if you become fabulously wealthy.

No offense, Payne, but you obviously misunderstand who the "Hoi Polloi" are.

You and I and Daffydoug and Kevin...WE are the Hoi Polloi.

Almost. Hoi means the in Greek, so the hoi polloi is redundant: we (you and I and Kevin and Daffydoug, und so weiter) are, simply, hoi polloi.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Do you want to correct my Greek? Hoi is the definite article, but it is plural. So if you really want to be accurate, the redundancy is also in the Greek, since "Polloi" is also plural. So "Hoi Polloi" is "the[plural] many[plural"]. So if you want to make fun of me, what I actually said, literally translated, is:

We are the the the many.

But you knew that, I'm sure. You're just busting my hoi balloi.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
From the American Heritage Dictionary:

Quote:
Usage Note: Hoi polloi is a borrowing of the Greek phrase hoi polloi, consisting of hoi, meaning "the" and used before a plural, and polloi, the plural of polus, "many." In Greek hoi polloi had a special sense, "the greater number, the people, the commonalty, the masses." This phrase has generally expressed this meaning in English since its first recorded instance, in an 1837 work by James Fenimore Cooper. Hoi polloi is sometimes incorrectly used to mean "the elite," possibly because it is reminiscent of high and mighty or because it sounds like hoity-toity. · Since the Greek phrase includes an article, some critics have argued that the phrase the hoi polloi is redundant. But phrases borrowed from other languages are often reanalyzed in English as single words. For example, a number of Arabic noun phrases were borrowed into English as simple nouns. The Arabic element al- means "the," and appears in English nouns such as alcohol and alchemy. Thus, since no one would consider a phrase such as "the alcohol" to be redundant, criticizing the hoi polloi on similar grounds seems pedantic.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 17:19, critter wrote:

Wish I could see it.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Like Payne said, some rules that seem silly have a reason.

Elbows off the table stops glasses from going flying and allows you to seat people closer together around a table. If you know which side your glass goes you won't accidentally polish off your neighbours after a few glasses of claret.

You still get full table settings at some formal and informal dinners because it stops people having to faff around with cutlery during dinner. That being said, I haven't seen a fish knife in use for a while - but Ross was spot on, go outside in and you can't go wrong.

Every culture has their rules - just watch the looks on people's faces if you take food from a communal bowl with your chopsticks, let alone leave the communal pair sticking up in the food...
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 17:56, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:

Wish I could see it.

It's available for instant download or dvd rental if you have netflix.
Season 4; Episode 8.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 17:56, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:

Wish I could see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO8iMI-Ph-w

There you go
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
My mother has always went by the "silverware" placement rules. I really see nothing wrong with it. I don't think any etiquette rule is unjust or not needed. Do I think some are a bit too much? Maybe but that isn't the point. Everyone no matter what your stature in life should follow stricter rules at least while in public. What you do in your own home is up to you however.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 17:53, stoneunhinged wrote:
You're just busting my hoi balloi.

Perhaps the funniest thing I've ever written. But apparently I'm the only one who found it funny. Oh well.

On topic: I have spent the last few years working on the idea that "ethics" are in fact "manners". While me might all agree that knife and fork placement are not critical, we might also all agree that blowing wads of snot into the soup crosses the line of acceptability. Therein lies a distinction of some importance. Natural Law and all that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Etiquette Lady Has Passed Away (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL