The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Recommendations for my son's talent show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

piraino
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of piraino
My 8-year old son wants to perform a few magic tricks in his school talent show. So far, we're working on a sliding-coin-box vanishing coin, the jumping rubber band (where the rubber band jumps between fingers), and possibly a silk production from an empty brown lunch bag.

I was hoping folks here might have some recommendations for other tricks for him to try. Preferably ones that would meet the following criteria:

1. Easy for an 8-year old to learn and perform - no fiddly palming or complicated maneuvers. The more self-working, the better.

2. Little or no talking involved. He's not too outgoing in front of crowds. I'm extremely proud of him for trying this at all, and I'd like to stay close to his comfort zone.

3. Visual - it's for a talent show, so it would be nice if it can be seen across the room.

Let me know if anyone can think of anything we can try, and thanks for the help!
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
The effects you listed are good, However I don't think they are good for a Talent Show, Most Talent shows take place in an Auditorium and you must Play to the Back Row, I doubt if the Back row is going to notice a rubberband, The silk production will be ok. How about the Vanishing Bandanna? This is easy to do and Plays Big. The CD does all the Talking for you, Just play along and the audience will get a big Kick out of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t5l4rI9lhg
check out the link it is from youtube of the vanishing bandanna
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Perhaps a change bag blendo with a funny topical (for an 8 year old) magic word.

NO prediction if you can teach him the correct wording and you think he can do it.

If you have a local magic shop the owner may be helpful. They get similar requests from older "magicians" all the time. Some go on to become real magicians because of good guidance.

Keep it light. He IS brave to try it. Please let us know how it works out

- Mary Mowder
magic mccurry
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magic mccurry
How about Hippity Hop Rabbits? Easy to do, visual, and great response. Good luck!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
When I was a kid I was in a school talent show (about his age) and I did the egg-to-confetti trick. Blow out and egg, let it dry, fill it with confetti. Cover it with a hankie, crush the egg under the hankie and when pulled away -- a STORM of confetti! Easy for a little kid to do.

I had a real unprepared egg that I cracked to "prove" the eggs were real (looking back, that really proves nothing! LOL! But then again, I was 8!) I also did a levitation (shoes on a stick with a blanket over the person) and a cut & retored rope of some kind (I remember tying a fake know but I do not remember what the trick was.)
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Square Circle
Dove Pan
:magicrabbit:
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
What do you currently have at home that he can work with?

Do you have a Budget to purchase some items?

If you can let us know those answers I am sure we can help you out.

Where are you located? City, and State

RJ
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1424 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Years ago when my daughter was in a talent show I helped put a few things together for her act. From what I remember, she only performed 3 tricks:

Gloves to Spring Flowers
Broken & Restored Magic Wand
Silks in a change bag transformed into a long silk streamer

I do remember her performing the magic to the STING song, Everything She Does Is Magic.

Just keep it simple.

Gerry
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
KISS is a good idea..

Keep it simple sorceror.

Squaring the Circle..(not a square circle production...but a metal circle that instantly changes to a square. very visual and still used by this Doctor of Laughology because it has so many different applications..with or without talking......)

Let us know how he does.

Prayers your way.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
One routine I do a lot is a "cutting the kid in half" using sewing tapes and the rope&tape principle. Have him get three kids onstage with him, tie the tapes around the one kid, and basically have the kid in the middle escape.

It's SUPER easy to do, it's very visual even from far away, and it's costs you $2 bucks for the tapes and $1 for the thread.

Plus he'll have three other kids onstage which may help him feel more comfortable if he's kind of shy. You could even have him do this with his friends, so there's zero risk of a kid being a pain.

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
If you want to spend some money, you might try the Vanishing Bandana trick using the CD voice over.

I loaned a friend's daughter the Magic Coloring Book for her elementary school talent show and it worked well--very visible to large audience.

I think some of the coin tricks and rubber band tricks won't play well for a large audience.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I respectfully suggest that the Vanishing Bandanna is a poor choice. It's a trick that, although it requires minimal technical skill, demands someone with stage presence and pantomime abilities to pull off.

I see this problem with several of the tricks mentioned. Just because a trick is technically easy, do not assume it will work for a child.
piraino
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of piraino
Hi all,

Thanks for the great suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Thanks especially to those that suggested the Vanishing Bandanna - that ended up being *perfect* (despite Starrpower's reservations, which I do appreciate). He didn't have to worry about talking at all, and is able to take cues from the CD soundtrack as the routine progresses.

The tryouts were today. He was really excited about the trick and had a lot of fun practicing it over the past couple of weeks. Apparently the tryout went very well - he said everyone was laughing the whole time, and he got several good comments from some of the adults there afterwards.

He'll find out tomorrow if he made it into the show, but I consider it a success already, whether or not he makes it in.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Both of my sons were involved in a class magic show when they approached the third grade. The teacher had the whole class study a magic trick and practice it for weeks in front of the class and then the parents of the students as well as the entire school sat and watched in the Gymnasium. Each time my sons closed out the show . . . gee I wonder why????

I had owned Abbotts Arrowhead at the time and I worked with my son on it as well as practicing it in front of his class and he got a standing ovation at the show.

Two years after that my younger son closed out the show. He did Vanishing ketchup bottle then a square circle production where he produced spring flowers, an apple for the teacher and a looooooong steamer. He got a standing ovation!

My kids are now 24 and 21 and they both hate magic! LOL
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Piraino,
Please keep us posted to how the show went. And a video would be great if the school allows you to video tape his performance.
Bob
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
piraino
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of piraino
Just wanted to come back and update this for those who asked - the talent show went very well. He had a great time doing it, and the audience laughed and seemed to enjoy it. He had one hitch where he initially couldn't get the banana to go where it needed to go, but after hesitating for a moment, he pulled himself together and managed to get it working. My repeated declarations during his practices that "the show must go on, no matter what" must have sunk in. Smile
MAGIC325
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of MAGIC325
Well done. Anyone, I'm sure it was a great learning experience too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Recommendations for my son's talent show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL