The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big Slick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..10..15..20..25..30~31~32 [Next]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 15:51, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 14:43, LobowolfXXX wrote:
So, how many miles have we all put on our cars this year?

None. Don't own a car, and don't have a plan to.

Jeff, your icon made me spit coffee on my monitor!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
A couple of people above asked why more booms were not in use:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/worl......1553486/

However, the seas were too rough and the winds too strong to burn off the oil, suck it up effectively with skimmer vessels, or hold it in check with the miles of orange and yellow inflatable booms strung along the coast.

The floating barriers broke loose in the choppy water, and waves sent oily water lapping over them.

“It just can't take the wave action,” said Billy Nungesser, president of Louisiana's Plaquemines Parish.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
I didn't bother to read that article because the photo says it all.

That type of boom is made for when your motorboat leaks bilge, not for the ocean.

I know of one support company alone in N.O. that has 30 miles of 24" oil fence ready to go. All of the support companies in the Gulf should have have more than enough to cover this. If not, then why not - IT'S THE LAW!

This is playing out exactly the same as Valdez. In a few days people will be washing birds in Dawn Liquid and Don Imus will be asking people to donate old towels.

The reason is; They do not care.
It's cheaper for them to deal with an oil spill than to put permanent failsafe precautions in place.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 15:46, balducci wrote:
By the way, BP is obviously in trouble but let's not forget about Transocean and Halliburton.

Halliburton in trouble? I needed a laugh today.
I don't think so.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Let's waive any fines now, and avoid the wait.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-05-01 13:24, jazzy snazzy wrote:
I didn't bother to read that article because the photo says it all.

That type of boom is made for when your motorboat leaks bilge, not for the ocean.

I know of one support company alone in N.O. that has 30 miles of 24" oil fence ready to go. All of the support companies in the Gulf should have have more than enough to cover this.

Well, then you should read the article. The photo corresponds to one part of the story, not the entire thing or the part I excerpted in particular.

I read today that the disaster recovery and oil companies have something like XX km worth of booms to surround a slick that has a circumference of YY km. Off the top of my head I do not recall the exact numbers, but YY was something like greater than 10+ times larger than XX.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Jazzy, furthermore, the booms are simply not very effective in these conditions:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/articl......-be?bn=1

Aaron Viles, campaign director of the New Orleans-based Gulf Restoration Network, said many of the booms laid out along the high priority shorelines don’t appear to be working due to rough weather.

“The seas are so bad, the oil is going over the booms and even two lines of booms appear to be ineffective,” he said. “So it’s hitting the coastal area and none of our containment efforts are effective.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-04-29 22:28, gaddy wrote:
I'm sure Mother Nature can take another hit for the team. No problem.

Oh come on sure she can. She is a tough old bird. Been around for billions of years. She may have a black eye for a decade or 10 but hey she can take it. After all she is here to serve us right? (said tongue in cheek)

Naaaa this is not going to be good for anyone.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Probably the worst time of year for it. The Bluefin are spawning now and they're in enough trouble already.

Conventional dispersants are usually kerosine based which is no better environmentally. The main problem for wildlife is instant liver damage once they injest it.

There are water-based catylitic surfactants that could be injected at the source to break the oil down to molecular levels.

Last I heard, it was about the size of Rhode Island. Skimmers are useless unless the water is perfectly calm.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
"It turns out, by the way, that oil rigs today generally don’t cause spills. They are technologically very advanced. Even during Katrina, the spills didn’t come from the oil rigs, they came from the refineries onshore."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm8gLmuTvJ4

(Not true, BTW, but it was still said.)
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Something else I read today. Apparently, putting the oil rig fire out was a big mistake. It was better to have the oil burning than spilling.

Furthermore, so it has been reported, the rig only sank because the weight of the water being used to put out the fire flooded the rig and caused it do capsize.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow that is somewhat akin to a smoke detector shorting out and starting a fire!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
News article from an Orlando Sentinel columnist.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/colu......2.column

I was wrong about dangers of offshore drilling.

There is nothing like the taste of crow deep-fried in a barrel of light, sweet crude. With a side of poached tar balls.

Here is what I said only one month ago about drilling off Florida's coast: "There is no difference between drilling 45 miles offshore and 125 miles offshore. Given the safety record of drilling in American waters, this is about the most benign way possible to extract fossil fuels."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Just don't tell the President about the 35-40 thousand people who die in the USA each year in traffic collisions; I'd hate for the administration to call for a halt to driving, at least until I get a bicycle.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
But it is a sobering number isn't it, Lobo. Can you imagine coming up with, I've got this great new invention. 35-40 thousand people will die as a direct result of it every year, but wait, you'll love the rest...."
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-05-03 09:14, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
But it is a sobering number isn't it, Lobo. Can you imagine coming up with, I've got this great new invention. 35-40 thousand people will die as a direct result of it every year, but wait, you'll love the rest...."

Or you could be Rachel Carson. Yea crusade for the environment with lies, and kill millions. Would that be better?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Putting blame aside for the moment, the fact remains that we have a literal gusher of oil streaming from the ocean floor with no way to stop it. It's already half of what the Exxon Valdez did in 55 days!!!!!!!!

Here's the worst part (if that can be said; the situation is so dire it's hard to wrap my head around it): About 15 days from today the oil will enter the Gulf Stream which sits roughly 100 miles to the south of the southern edge of the slick presently. When it hits the GS, in less than 10 days the entire EASTERN side of Florida will be covered in oil, all the way from the Keys, to Miami, to Jacksonville. The GS goes right past all of our beach resorts, not to mention Cuba and all of the Carribean nations as well.

And did anyone mention that hurricane season begins June 1st?

Fisheries, crabbing grounds, shrimping beds, the Gulf fishing industry, New Orleans, Mobile, Galveston, The Yucatan, The Keys, 1000 beach resorts and millions of tourism jobs, pleasure craft industries, beach front condo sales, safe drinking water, nature preserves and hatcheries.... see you in 50 years...

Comparing this to Chernobyl is beginning to seem unfair to Russia.
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Indeed, there are scary times ahead, scary times indeed.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 14:43, LobowolfXXX wrote:
So, how many miles have we all put on our cars this year?

None. I haven't had a car in almost 20 years. (Nothing "nobel" about it, I just can't afford the ongoing expenses of a car)

RIPTA (the bus company in Rhode Island) loves me.

(Peter Pan/Bonanza likes it when I go out of state!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-05-03 09:51, Chance wrote:
And did anyone mention that hurricane season begins June 1st?

Fisheries, crabbing grounds, shrimping beds, the Gulf fishing industry, New Orleans, Mobile, Galveston, The Yucatan, The Keys, 1000 beach resorts and millions of tourism jobs, pleasure craft industries, beach front condo sales, safe drinking water, nature preserves and hatcheries.... see you in 50 years...

Comparing this to Chernobyl is beginning to seem unfair to Russia.

You are so right. We got so caught up in the spill and cleaning it up that we almost forgot about the necessary HYSTERIA!!!!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big Slick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..10..15..20..25..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL