The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has any one used the Mother of all Book Test? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
The need depends on the presentation and rationale for performing the routine. Thus, the reason would be-not wanting the booktest to be driven by a theme. That is not meant to knock any Outlaw (or other) booktests, I am merely responding to the comment.

These types of effects fall into two categories:

1. Theme driven: where a particular book MUST be used because it pertains to the discussion at large. Such as: an macabre tale of a psychiatric hospital. Thus, particular book is congruent and germane to the discussion.

2. The appearance of "any book": This is an "information test" which is not typically driven by theme and it's strength is the ability to convey that information is received that could have been anything. This type will be subcategorized into:

A. Gimmicked books
B. Prepared, but ungimmicked books
B. Ungimmicked/unprepared books

All are valid paths, and I agree with the Dick's comment that the impact depends on performance and one's goals (one method is not necessarily better). Theme driven booktests can POTENTIALLY be self-ingratiating. Information tests CAN be boring or trivial "tricks".
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
IMO it is an oversimplification to declare either "themed" or "generic" book tests as inherenty either good or bad. Each has their time and place and Waters has succinctly characterized the contexts in which each type of test is appropriate. What IS important is that the performer know which is best suited to his style/persona and the context of the program in which it is to be employed.
Dick Christian
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I've performed Luna and Ipswich both ways. When used even as a single word test, it still pulls more audience pop than the others. It's look just begs for attention and even seasoned professional magicians can't find the secret.

And in my previous post where I state "Even their new Luna book test - in my opinion the worse of the Outlaw tests - has far more significant impact on the audiences I've played for than the MOABT." That should not read new Luna book test but "New Lillian book test."

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Thanks for the correction dreadnought.

You had me worried for a moment.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 23:47, Oyama wrote:
You had me worried for a moment.

I get told that a lot Smile

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
stevelegg
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of stevelegg
I have every book test there is, and the MOABT is the best of the lot. see my presentation with a dictionary killer add-on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsN_BthJla8
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Are you sure you have everyone Steve? Dick has over a thousand and he doesn't own them all !!!! Your presentation for MOABT is lovely!! keep an eye out for The Area Book Test that I will be releasing very soon....my best work to date Smile
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Very good.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2619 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-05 15:01, stevelegg wrote:
I have every book test there is,

Wanna bet?
Dick Christian
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 20:54, Pete Biro wrote:
Jerry Newton kills at trade show with MOAB... one night he brought it to the house and stuck it in our library. The guests wanted us to do a few effects. So, Jerry grabbed a "random" book and did it... Needless to say it KILLED.

Once at a trade show he was working a friend of mine and I were in his audience watching. My friend KNEW to "work" and Jerry Gambled... He had a lady he was into the trick with and asked her to POINT TO ANYONE IN THE AUDIENCE... AND SHE POINTED RIGHT TO MY FRIEND.

Even the client who would see him do this over and over again day after day WAS COMPLETELY NAILED.

That just about sums it up from the man. Please don't spend a ton of money buying the mother. Leave it alone.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I actually own every book there is. Drats; another was just published, I have to head out to the store...again.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2619 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-05 17:26, Eric Samuels wrote:
I actually own every book there is. Drats; another was just published, I have to head out to the store...again.

Eric, I know the feeling -- and it's costing me a fortune! Meanwhile I'm praying for a worldwide shortage of ink.
Dick Christian
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
674 Posts

Profile of Bedford
I have a number of book tests (but not MOABT). The ones I use most are Ultimate Flashback by Larry Becker, Sinister by Outlaw, and Witches Almanac by Outlaw. I also use a few impromptu book tests with unprepared books.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has any one used the Mother of all Book Test? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL