The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has any one used the Mother of all Book Test? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Does any one have any take on this.

Thank you,

TR
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jerry Newton kills at trade show with MOAB... one night he brought it to the house and stuck it in our library. The guests wanted us to do a few effects. So, Jerry grabbed a "random" book and did it... Needless to say it KILLED.

Once at a trade show he was working a friend of mine and I were in his audience watching. My friend KNEW to "work" and Jerry Gambled... He had a lady he was into the trick with and asked her to POINT TO ANYONE IN THE AUDIENCE... AND SHE POINTED RIGHT TO MY FRIEND.

Even the client who would see him do this over and over again day after day WAS COMPLETELY NAILED.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I'm sure you'll get your desired feedback, but if you don't feel like waiting for people to post, try the search feature -- because I can promise you that you'll get thousands of post regarding MOABT instantly -- it's a popular subject.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Has any one used the Mother of all Book Test?

is that a trick question ??
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
I never have...LUNA will be here shortly.

As someone once wisely said "why reveal just one word, when you can reveal a lifetime"?

The one word book test days are done for me.

I am sure it was good in it's time.

Aaron
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2010-05-01 02:44, Oyama wrote:
I never have...LUNA will be here shortly.

I'm using MARS.

It gives me a lot of psychic energy so that I'm ready for my show.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
LOTH

Now that I believe!
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Mother of all book test is out to date,old fashion, her son is better !
take my advice and buy her daughter, she's more fresh and pretty.
besides, it costs only 2 camels and 5 goats.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
The key to MOAB or any other book test -- or any effect in magic or mentalism for that matter -- is PRESENTATION. When PROPERLY PRESENTED book tests, even "single word" book tests like MOAB, can be a strong as anything in one's repertoire. Presentation trumps method every time.

For those who are currently using book tests, or want to learn more about them, noted mentalist Alain Nu and I are conducting a 1/2 seminar and workshop on "The Art of the Book Test" as part of Alain's "Secret Series" at his "Bat Cave" in Silver Spring, Maryland on Saturday afternoon, May 8. A limited number of seats are still available for serious workers. Registration is $40.

PM me here or at gr8magik@aol.com for more information or to apply.
Dick Christian
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2010-05-01 02:44, Oyama wrote:
As someone once wisely said "why reveal just one word, when you can reveal a lifetime"?

Simple answer: because sometimes you might rather reveal just one word. Smile

I started to type more about this, then realized I was basically paraphrasing something I wrote in the explanation of my "Word To Your Mother Book Test." So instead, I'll just quote myself:

-----

IN DEFENSE OF WORDS AND LETTERS

There is a school of thought in mentalism which holds that book tests should never revolve around revealing specific words and individual letters; rather, it says, the revelations should begin with the most general feelings and associations naturally evoked by the words, and then gradually focus in on the spectator’s specific thoughts from there, finally revealing the word from the context of what it means rather than what it says. The usual reason for this is that old standby, the notion that “that’s how mind reading would look if it were real.” And while I’m all for realism, I simply disagree that that’s necessarily how it would look if it were real. Rather, I think that’s more or less exactly how it would look if it were being faked by someone pretending to do it for real, starting with little or no information, and throwing out generalities in the hopes of stumbling upon a few hits while subtly (or not) narrowing down the possibilities based on the spectator’s reactions. That this has come to pass for “real” in the minds of many is a topic for a separate discussion.

The point is, that kind of approach evolved because it worked for certain performers in certain circumstances. If your performance style and your circumstances lend themselves to that kind of approach, then certainly it may be your most effective option. But one of the great things about mentalism is the ability to define our own characters and the parameters of what we do. Realism then grows out of congruency with those parameters. And since we have the prerogative to ask spectators to direct their thoughts in the ways that are most helpful to us, there’s no reason for individual letters and words to be incongruent if that’s what we ask them to focus on. So if your character is that of an empath who senses emotions and sensations and the like, then you should certainly approach a book test revelation from that framework, and the approach presented here would be out of character and incongruent for you. However, if you make it clear that picking up on specific letters or words is part of “how you work,” and everything else you do supports that, and you do it as cleanly as this effects allows, then no one is going to walk away grumbling, “It was a nice little magic trick when he picked up on every letter in the word ‘plate’ as I was thinking of it, but a real mind reader would have gone on to describe the bittersweet nostalgia I feel every time I look at the Princess Diana commemorative plate from the Franklin Mint that my grandmother left me...”

-----

Speaking of which, this seems like as good a place as any to mention that I'm (finally) very close to releasing the "Word To Your Mother Book Test Collection" in fully-realized, pre-printed form. The concept has been expanded considerably from the version described in ParaLies, and I will boldly state that I honestly believe it offers The Best™ single-word revelation available in any book test – yes, even including MOAB. Then again, I am as biased as a person could possibly be. Smile As for the "collection" part of the title, I'll leave that deliberately ambiguous until the formal announcement, probably next week.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
To each their own. I think Outlaw has raised the bar for book tests. Reading through so dark has changed the way I look at book tests and mentalism in general.

Thank you Prof BC!
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Thanks to everyone for the help on this effect.

Outlaw... Where do you find that one????

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Outlaw is the website. They have many book test. I actually think they should not be called a book test. They are in a class all their own.

Reading so dark before you buy will totally inspire you and show you what I am talking about. You also can just reveal a single word...if you choose. You can also go sooo much further and reveal things that are much more complex.

The real kicker...you can reveal things BEFORE they even open the book! Once they open it, they will see what you said is true.

So many ways to play this type of "book test".

Check out LUNA reviews here on the Café.

Aaron
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Joshua Quinn has covered the matter of single word vs. other revelations more effectively than any other such discussions I've read (or written). There is absolutely nothing I could add.

As re: the various booktests from Outlaw Effects (the Luna and Homicide trilogies, Witches Almanac, etc.), I have most of them and can (and have) attest that they are truly in a class by themselves; however, their unique qualities ("antiqued," tendency toward "dark" themes, etc.) make them ideal for special themed presentations, but less so for more generic demonstrations of "mindreading" and would certainly make them stand out like the proverbial "sore thumb" (and therefor likely suspect) if combined in a routine with more "tradional" book tests. That is NOT said to disparage them -- I have consistently praised them -- but to acknowledge that IMO they may not be the most appropriate for "general purpose" use.
Dick Christian
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
Quinn,

Congrats on your WTYMBT finally coming to fruition! (Vanilla Ice would be proud!!)

Can't wait to see what you are offering.

Paul
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
THEBENJ16
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of THEBENJ16
I really like the sound of mother of all book tests.

I have been looking to buy one. My local dealers are either out of stock or way too expensive.

Has anyone got a second hand one that they want to swap/sell?

Please let me know.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Happy Mother's Day to the Mother Of All Book Tests!

Regards,
Mike
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2010-05-02 08:39, Dick Christian wrote:
Joshua Quinn has covered the matter of single word vs. other revelations more effectively than any other such discussions I've read (or written). There is absolutely nothing I could add.

As re: the various booktests from Outlaw Effects (the Luna and Homicide trilogies, Witches Almanac, etc.), I have most of them and can (and have) attest that they are truly in a class by themselves; however, their unique qualities ("antiqued," tendency toward "dark" themes, etc.) make them ideal for special themed presentations, but less so for more generic demonstrations of "mindreading" and would certainly make them stand out like the proverbial "sore thumb" (and therefor likely suspect) if combined in a routine with more "tradional" book tests. That is NOT said to disparage them -- I have consistently praised them -- but to acknowledge that IMO they may not be the most appropriate for "general purpose" use.

I agree with Dick here. I absolutely love outlaw book tests however, for my straight mentalism set I do an oldie straight out of 13 steps with a little switchcraft thrown in. For an "un-themed" show that old book test KILLS!!! every time.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I've used the MOABT and other book tests before but I ditched em after I was introduced to the Outlaw books. The Luna series is, in my opinion, the new standard by which the others will be compared and graded to. As far as I'm concerned, if the book isn't an Outlaw book test or similar one, then it's useless. The pop I've received from the audience for Luna is far greater than the single word tests. Even their new Luna book test - in my opinion the worse of the Outlaw tests - has far more significant impact on the audiences I've played for than the MOABT.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
I would agree that the Outlaw tests have raised the standard. As I use Witches Almanac and Luna 1936, I don't see the need for utilizing any other.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has any one used the Mother of all Book Test? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL