The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Mouth squeaker care (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Hi all,

I've started to use a mouth squeaker in my show, but I'm having a problem: it seems to be getting too wet in my mouth (it's in there a while for the routine), which means that it stops working. The trouble is, that just leaving it to dry doesn't seem to bring itback to full life. This is the first time that I've used a mouth squeaker and there were no instructions with the pack I bought. Does anyone have any tips about making them last longer?

Thanks,

John
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
554 Posts

Profile of vernon
The squeakers I use are ones that fit into plastic toys. Not the usual small ones but bigger ones...and not the cloth variety that Punch and Judy workers use.

Hope that helps

James James
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Vernon's answer is best. Use a plastic squeak toy squeaker. The cloth and membrane "swazzle" simply isn't a good option for this.

Also, be VERY careful with this thing, as every P&J "Professor" knows, you WILL eventually gag and possibly choke to death on one of these things eventually...

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when, and how you deal with it could save your life.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Are these plastic squeakers available without resorting to butchering offerings from my local pet store? Lol

John
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I've tried warblers and punch whistles and dislike both.
Vernon, what do you mean by 'large' ones?
BTW, nice blog.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I found the squeekers at Pet Smart and at Petco. They come in a package of 3.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
554 Posts

Profile of vernon
I always buy up a batch when I go to a convention, as I keep on losing them. Mustve bought 20 of them so far. They last a loooooooong time.
Hope that helps.
James James
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Quote:
On 2010-05-04 12:56, gaddy wrote:

Also, be VERY careful with this thing, as every P&J "Professor" knows, you WILL eventually gag and possibly choke to death on one of these things eventually...

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when, and how you deal with it could save your life.

At least plenty of people will hear me choking... Smile
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
Munskin,
I also tried the warbler that goes into your mouth and the more I practiced with it the more I realized I was either going to swallow it or send it spewing out of my mouth like a gigantic leather spit ball. I friend turned my on to the little hand held plastic squeekers that work a lot better. Just buy a bunch when you find them, I've found that I have a tendency to blow the little metal squeeker piece out of the plastic nose piece. But hang on to the broken ones so you can show that you have something in your hand and when they try to make it work, nothing happens.

David
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Sale of Warblers to the public is now banned here in the UK.
I had six gross conviscated by the Police two years ago from my swag stall when open in Cambridge !

Ken.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Munskin: A lot of P&J books recommend tying the swazzle to a strong thread and then pinning it to your clothes in case you do swallow it. I never could understand what was being said through a swazzle, so I never used one.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
So, we move from a Sword Swallowing act to a Swazzle Swallowing act, with real coughs and splutters!!
The presentation makes the magic.
FunnyFrank
View Profile
New user
Oakland CA
1 Post

Profile of FunnyFrank
Try biting gently at the middle, putting pressure at a 90% angle to how the reeds are lined up. This can allow a lot more air through both inhale and exhale reeds, and make the squeak much louder. You can also try rinsing with pure 97% rubbing alcohol, for a much more thorough cleaning, and faster drying.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
The string allows for the swazzle's quick and (relatively) easy removal if swallowed. The thread is crucial, because if you think it's unpleasant / painful to swallow this thing, just WAIT till it comes OUT! This is fine for a concealed puppeteer, but for a busker it's a dead giveaway. You may just want to go the route taken by Bob Berky and use a kazoo.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
@Munskin: I realise this is now an older thread, but can you clarify what type of squeakers you were referring to back in 2010? Is it the little plastic ones (shaped like a little tube), or were you in fact referring to the swazzle? Also, have you come across any solutions as for the care and feeding of such? If not, let me know and I can help.
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Mine stopped working no noise will come out when I blow, I think it is clogged up... what can I do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Mouth squeaker care (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL