We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit Nail Clipping cutting too much?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
I have not clipped my Rabbit's nails for a long time now - I went to do it today but I don't see any white tips , like if all the nails are dark not sure if the veins have grown to the tip, any comments? don't want tu cut veins.

Thanks,

Jaime
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi MagicJac - if your rabbits nails are too dark to see (have you tried holding them to the light to see yet?), I would recommend just taking the rabbit to a vet/pet shop. It won't cost much, and at least they can do it right. The issue is if you cut into the "quick" it will start to bleed, and hard to stop. Your rabbit won't die from this (unless infection takes place) , but its doesn't feel good (ever had a bad hang nail and pulled it too much?) also, since you haven't trimmed in a while, your rabbit is going to be pretty jittery and nervous/scared about it won't hold still very well which will frustrate you and the rabbit at the same time. The veins don't grow to the tip, but they can be close sometimes. Hope that helps some. I would just recommend having a professional clip them the first time, then explaining to you what they did, what they used, and how (That's what I did years ago). Learning the easy way instead of the hard way is always best. Also, one last note, put a scratch pad of some sort in the cage with the rabbit. They like to dig and scratch so this will keep your rabbits nails trimmed pretty well because they groom themselves like cats do. Make sure you check out your rabbits teeth too because from the sounds of it, since the nails are long, then its a good possibility the teeth are long also. They need 'grinding' type pads (name slips my mind but if I saw it I could point it out). If the teeth get too long, the rabbit will not be able to eat, and the outcome is not so good in that case.

hope that helps
-Alpha
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
If you do cut the nail to short, and it does start to bleed, you can apply talcum powder on the nail tip, and it will stop the bleeding. If the nails are left unattended for an extremely long period of time, the vein will increase in length a little.
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Cornstarch will also stop the bleeding, flour will work just not as well.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Toe nail clippers are not the best way to go because it can squeeze with a lot of pressure. At pet shops they sell a special clipper.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
Great advice from Thomas. I was going to post, but he said about what I was going to say. If your rabbit is tame and easy to handle maybe you could let someone hold a light under the nail before you cut. Some rabbits nails are darker than others, but the vein should be visible if you look hard enough.

Also, I keep some steptic powder around, but I have never had to use it so far...knock on wood! (pounding on my head with one hand while typing with the other!) Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Thanks guys -yes most likely will take her somewhere to get clipped -
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
A pro may be a good idea, MagicJac.

Back when I was doing a dove act, a younger magician asked about clipping birds nails (to keep from snagging on silks). I explained how to do it cautioning him to be careful not to cut into the quick. That doing so could result in a fatal infection.

He called a couple of weeks later to tell me his bird had died. I said, "What happened? Did you cut into the quick?"

He said, "Actually, I think he was dead when I took him out of the vise."
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
LOL !!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit Nail Clipping cutting too much?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL