We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Supreme's 3 Little Pigs (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Hi
I just bought a Supreme's Magic Co. 3 Little Pigs effect but it had no instructions so I have no clue as to the routine or the workings, please contact me if you can help.
Thank you very much!
Also is Jam Magics 3 pigs the same effect and/or routine?
Thanks!
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Just for the record, the rights to Three Little Pigs were sold to House Of Enchantment years ago. Since then three other companies have made this product without consideration.

I still have all the original wood-cut printing dies that printed the cards on a Heilderburg Jr. printing press and lots of parts for the frame.

The routine starts with a pig that you place aside... the wolf that is mixed in with two other pigs and magically ends-up back in the holder. If you have all the parts it should be an easy matter to work it out or change the routine to one of your liking.

Sidewalk Shuffle and any other number of tricks work along similar lines where you turn the cards over to count/show them and that's when the "magic" happens.
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Mike, have you thought about contacting Bruce Amato - he has lots of Supreme items and may be able to supply you with the instructions.

See you in August - best wishes until then.

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Instructions on how to operate the prop are one thing, but why would you want a pre-formed, one size fits all routine? We all laugh at the canned routines magic tricks come with. Start playing with the prop and soon you'll be inspired with your own routine.

-wes holly-
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
REV BILL
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Burnie Maryland
1020 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
Diana Ross was with the Supremes. I never realized the other 2 pretty girls were little pigs. What a difference a little makeup can do.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Wes,
I needed a starting point and I PAID for them,
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think Terry Herbert does this one on his under 5s dvd. I remember laughing at it because he seems kind of unhinged during that effect.
terry herbert
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of terry herbert
For the record the version of Three Little Pigs you have was originated by Edwin Hooper over 60 years ago when he worked with Jack Hughes before he started The Supreme Magic Company. They sold it for many years and held the manufacturing rights. You will find the complete routine published in Edwin's Magic Volume 2 on page 220. As magicgeorge says I feature the routine on my DVD 'Magic for Under 5s. If you have difficulty in finding a copy, I am sure I can help you out.
The whole outfit consists of A House, a wall (card stand) and 5 illustrated cards.
It is my favourite routine for little ones
aidanh
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of aidanh
5 cards? well, yes, it does - but the audience don't know that! I wish someone still made it as my set could do with replacement - it's a GREAT trick and a standard in my show.

The basic trick is fairy simple to follow, and the plot is simply that of the story - I've been doing this for MANY years - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frsn3dz6swE for my current version of the trick - it has all the moves (hardly moves!) in the right order, but is done in rhyme which the original one wasn't! All the details for the trick are in one of Edwins books - I THINK it was the second one though I cannot find my copy to double check!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You can print the cards yourself on any inkjet printer using the templates available from The Wizards' Journal #16 Item 08. The original version was designed as a pocket version, but the stage size templates are available for those who request them. Then we encourage you to investigate some NEW moves and some new props for accomplishing the effect. The moves are easy to learn and the props are easy to build, making three separate houses for each of the pigs (straw, twigs and bricks) and methods to be able to show both sides of each of the cards.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
In fact, you could do "HARLAN" twist on the plot where teh father pig was showing/teaching his sons to keep their eyes on the BIG BAD WOLF.
Ther first sonm said ,HEY DAD. ect...
The second, dad, WOOD you let me try
The third, ect...
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Jim,

The version you're describing doesn't sound like the Supreme Magic version of the Three Little Pigs as discussed in the OP. I happen to know a bit of the background about this because Jeremy at Practical Magic in the UK are re-releasing the effect in 2015 with updated artwork after obtaining the rights to the effect earlier this year.

This from Jeremy - "The trick was originated by Edwin Hooper of Supreme before he started Supreme and when he was working for Jack Hughes. When Edwin started Supreme, he came to an arrangement with Jack Hughes and put out the trick under the Supreme banner. Paul Anthony of Magic Supreme bought the Supreme stock when Supreme went into liquidation as well as the manufacturing rights on all of the Supreme range. I approached Paul in Oct/Nov. this year and we will be bringing out the trick again at some point next year. This is with the explicit agreement of Derek Lever who purchased the rights to all the Jack Hughes items. A statement to that effect will be included with the instructions. There have been several effects based on the Three Little Pigs story, indeed, we brought out a quite different version of this trick by Theo Dore (published in Abra in the 50s). We obtained manufacturing rights from Davenports (I have the letter) as they had by then purchased Abra and the rights to all the previous material. As far as I'm aware, no 'accommodation' was made with any other company for the original version."

I have seen the Artwork for this new version and, knowing Jeremy & Cheryl and the quality of their products, can guarantee this will look AWESOME! As George mentioned above, it's a feature routine on Terry Herbert's 'Magic for Under 5's' still available on DVD from practical magic in the UK. http://www.practical-magic.com/online-sh......t-detail

Gary
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, garydunn wrote:
Jim,

The version you're describing doesn't sound like the Supreme Magic version of the Three Little Pigs as discussed in the OP.

No, it's not, and I said as much. The method is the same - the four card monte invented in the 1940's by an unknown inventor- but new elements have been added to it, new moves, new sleights, new house methods, and even new houses for all the pigs. The story is the same, an adaptation of the English folk tale first published by James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps in 1886, modernized for today's kids. Improved and modernized art-work is available for those who want it. But if you want the Supreme version of everything, exactly as produced by Supreme... this is LIKE it, but NOT it. Clear enough?
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, jimgerrish wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, garydunn wrote:
Jim,

The version you're describing doesn't sound like the Supreme Magic version of the Three Little Pigs as discussed in the OP.

No, it's not, and I said as much. The method is the same - the four card monte invented in the 1940's by an unknown inventor- but new elements have been added to it, new moves, new sleights, new house methods, and even new houses for all the pigs. The story is the same, an adaptation of the English folk tale first published by James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps in 1886, modernized for today's kids. Improved and modernized art-work is available for those who want it. But if you want the Supreme version of everything, exactly as produced by Supreme... this is LIKE it, but NOT it. Clear enough?

so you don't know who invented the "four card monte"?? it says that above

sounds like plagarism to me

love the original TLP (mine was second hand from York Magical Services) and looking forward to looking at the updated PM version that's sold with the full rights to perform
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2014, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
so you don't know who invented the "four card monte"?? it says that above

sounds like plagarism to me

I don't know WHO, but I do know WHEN based on printed catalog advertisements. It's well in the public domain by now.
AidanHeritage
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of AidanHeritage
The basic trick is fairy simple to follow, and the plot is simply that of the story - I've been doing this for MANY years - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frsn3dz6swE for my current version of the trick - it has all the moves (hardly moves!) in the right order, but is done in rhyme which the original one wasn't! All the details for the trick are in one of Edwins books - I THINK it was the second one though I cannot find my copy to double check! I need to be in the queue NOW for a new one from practical!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Supreme's 3 Little Pigs (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL