The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Lawrence O. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
I am almost certain I saw Etienne walk off the Mother Ship in “Close Encounters of the Third Kind.”
Yes…he is that smart.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I first ran across Monsieur 'O', here on the Café. We actually initially got off on the wrong foot. It was probably my fault.

I quickly discovered a hint of the depths of research he'd done on my favorite trick. It's always better to have friends rather than enemies. I shipped a copy of one little routine I do, to Paris. We have been more than acquaintances ever since.

I had the pleasure to get to session with Etienne at a World Magic Seminar a year or two ago. He also acted as interpreter on more than one occasion when I got to hang out with some Spanish-speaking cups aficionados. Like most Europeans, he speaks more languages than just his native tongue and English. Just knowing Mr. "O" gained for me some pretty serious entree into the magic world. Imagine getting to talk cups and balls with Etienne, Rafael Benetar, Antonio Romero and Johnny Thompson. The only reason I got into the room was because Etienne knew me. (Sorry to drop names, but it does show the level of magicians that are caught up in Etienne's spell!)

It was a real pleasure seeing some of the finest subtleties in card handling from him as well.

He is, as we say about too few magicians,

A gentleman and a scholar!

KG
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Etienne is nothing but top class in my book. Through the years he has opened up to me and guided me down paths I never thought of, without anything in return except for respecting our art we all love so much.
Thanks you for being a friend,teacher, mentor, a ear to listen, Thanks for just being you !!!!!
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Feeling gratitude and not expressing it would be like wrapping a present and not giving it. Now as I try and express such a gratitude to you my peers for your kind words, I don't loose sight that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
Since there is another thread of the same nature for Bill Palmer who's merits are much greater than mines, it makes it easier to indulge in such sweet words knowing that this sort of praise covers as much an approach to the community and the art than just me as a person. Now if we were cast in a different mould to the majority, it is no merit of ours: life did it... but thanks anyways.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Etienne:

Your devotion to magic and your ability to express yourself in a language that is not your mother tongue is a yardstick that any of us would do well to use as a personal guideline.

Thanks for being my friend.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I see that I'm coming into this thread 3 1/2 years after it apparently concluded. But I too have become a fan of Mr. O's posts and wonder if he has ever written books, articles, etc. Or is there a web page? And/Or what name should one use to google him and his work?
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of elimagic
I second everything said in this thread.
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
I asked Mr. Lawrence for advice in a PM. His response was VERY helpfull to this Street Performer! Thanks again Mr. Lawrence. Mr. Danny
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I too have had the pleasure of spending a bit of time with this fine gentleman. A few years ago in Vegas, the Seminar hosted a cups and balls symposium and had the incredible pleasure of watching a few masters of this classic, while seated between Pete, and Etienne. Talk about one of these things is not like the other! I was thrilled to find out that he is now not too far from me and I hope that I get to spend more time with him in the future.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
A wealth of knowledge for sure.
I have learned a lot from him
over the years here on the café.
Todd
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The first time I saw one of his bibliographies of a certain effect I was blown away. I thought, "No one can have this much knowledge." Amazing.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Etienne in Paris a while ago.
He's a true master in magic, which encompass techniques AND scripting, etc...
My only wish is that he writes a book on magic theory, a book on cups and balls, another one one coin magic, and so on !
Merry Christmas to you Etienne, and to all the Café friends !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Lawrence O. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL