The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon Busking - Display (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lady Vee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Lady Vee
Hi - New here to the Café! I spend a lot of my time balloon busking in different cities all around Europe and sometimes Canada too.

After many trials and errors I now use a very light telescopic camera stand to display my balloons on - its easily portable and looks kinda good too. However.. I'm wondering how other balloon buskers display their balloon.
My display is working, but alwasy good to hear other ideas.

Vee
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
839 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Do you have any pics of your display? Might be worth posting here to encourage comments....

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I would be interested in seeing a pic as well.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
willhunter
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
140 Posts

Profile of willhunter
For busking. I have considered a display, but decided against it. Were I work displaying balloons turn me into a balloon vendor selling balloons for a set price. I rather be a entertainer, that gives away balloons. I feel I get better money in tips than sales.
aka Billy Boston
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
I agree with willhunter. But what is the purpose if your display? If it's to generate a crowd or mark your location then wearing a big balloon hat will suffice. If you want to impress the folks, wear a big elaborate balloon hat.

-wes holly-
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Where I busk there is usually a shelving unit behind me (i'm indoors). This allows me to make the larger sculptures and put them there. These pieces are much like balloon vending and they do have a minimum price on them. When I don't have a line I work on other large pieces. People like seeing what is possible with balloons even though they don't want to carry the large ones or pay the minimum. This is all fine by me as I get a lot of bookings from it.
Lady Vee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Lady Vee
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments. Will look out a photo of display to post and comments welcome!
I tend to use a disply both to mark my pitch and advertise what I can do - often the streets I am working are full of traders, pitchers and lots of people so I like to stand out! I wear a balloon hat as well. I often gather a crowd and enterain those who are waiting as well as the one getting the balloon. I agree with Will - I don't want to become a balloon vendor!
Cheers guys.
Balloon&MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Balloon&MagicGuy
A large hat always gets attention. When twisting for large venues such as fairs we normally twist lots of balloons and hang them on a 10 x 10 tent. We tie balloons across the tent on the legs to hang the balloons. We then twist a few larger items and patter with the audience. Sometimes we even perform some magic with balloons or play balloon games (twisting contest, bow and arrow shooting contest, etc).

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ewa-Beach-......16057826

When I do parties, I usually bring out a menu board of over 60+ different designs. The designs I select are elaborate designs that are big, yet allow for lines to move...hahaha. I have the host pass out tokens to the kids and they redeem the tokens by placing it on a picture of the balloon they want. It's kinda like placing an order and then waiting in line for your balloon creation to be made. We've received lots of compliments for this token style and menu board system. It sure prevents lots of upset parents because then no one is standing in line for a long time to be disappointed. For the kids who arrive late, I pass out balloon stickers and sometimes a balloon sword or stick.
Lady Vee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Lady Vee
Hi
Love your display! Very eye catching and colourful - just what its all about. Also like your idea of tokens for the kids.

My display is more mobile as I tend to do a lot of walkabout with balloons. When making a more complex balloon creation I blow up all the balloons at once and tuck them in my belt so they all sticking out behind me in an explosion of color - its great also if in the meantime I need to make another balloon as they don't get in my way!

Vee
Balloon&MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Thanks. As for the tokens, they are drink plastic tokens that I order from Kardwell. Each token has my business name, phone number and the print "1 balloon per token."

Is your belt specially made? Are you wearing an apron? Please tell me more.

I use this apron: https://www.mbd2.com/online/store/comers......duct=124

They also carry a large balloon busking bag that I also use for larger venues.

Richard
Lady Vee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Lady Vee
Hi,

Tokens are great idea - people will be more reluctant to throw away what they see as something of value and could well last longer then a card! Cool!

I used to wear an apron - it was actually a leather pouchers pouch! But now, I have a bag with lots of different pockets - for all the different types of balloon - and a big space in the middle for all my 260's and I attach this to my stand and I'm kinda liking this at the moment at it gives me less to carry on my body! All good fun!

Posted: Jul 23, 2010 6:01pm
Ps - wow! That apron is an attraction in itself. Cool

Vee
ArtofDeception
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of ArtofDeception
Hey balloon&magicguy I did a gig at a reagal theater too, awesome display, I wish I had a car to take a tent with me as well, it looks really professional and colorful.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"
Balloon&MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Thanks ArtofDeception! We normally do 1-2 gigs through the theater for their promotions. They pay us the equivalent amount of services through movie tickets. So, rest assured, we are set to watch movies for awhile...hahaha. They also offered to post our banner in the theater as well. Promotions are great especially because they get your name out there. Anytime you can do a promotion and also get paid for your services is great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon Busking - Display (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL