The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » PAUL STOCKMAN - CONNECTED DVD (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Paul Stockman: "DIS-CONNECTED"

Thought I'd give my review of this DVD as I purchased it sometime ago.

PICK A CHAIR:
A long, drawn out and confusing chair test. Paul's patter was probably the most interesting aspect of this routine, but after watching it only once, I was still left confused as to what he was doing using an extremely elongated pencil to write on envelopes (considering it was a stage/cabaret show). Paul needs to learn that you cannot open your show with an eight minute Chair Test. In the art of performing there is something known as an "opener". Short, punchy and gets the audience right into what you claim to do.

HANDS-OFF BANK NIGHT:
Paul puts the entire effect into the hands of the spectator for yet another long and boring selection process. First the envelopes are on the table, but please don’t flash the bottoms of the envelopes, so let's keep them facedown, THEN bring out a stand for them, and then go into a long drawn out process of choosing one. One seriously needs to ask the question of whether this is all worth it for the sake of the performer not touching the envelopes. Is it? Slips of paper in the rest of the envelopes...just random slips of paper. Mhmm...think I've seen more meaningful bank nights...think Safwan Papers...

THE PENDANT CURSE:
Love him or hate him, I really hope someone has told Luke Jermay about this routine. It's so similar...A completely random thin story about a murder with a letter that looks like a 3 year old prepared. Was it just me, or was I the only one wondering what was INSIDE the pendant? Mhmm, and to have the tiny name engraved on it for a stage show? No Paul, that's called close-up stuff. Not even passing the pendant around AFTER the effect will help. Nice idea/concept, but needs some serious reworking for stage. What I really enjoyed were Paul and Peter trying to justify the "deeper psychology" about the scripting that "makes" the volunteer choose the specific picture. BULL. Can you say a Darker Dai?

BACK TO BECKER:
Honestly, one of THE MOST confusing, disjointed routines I have seen in a LONG time. Right this down with a pencil and I'll seal it up in an envelope, but let's write this down with a black sharpie here, and then I'll fold this paper up here, but let's first use a different table because "This one is too high". So I'll put this down here first, no wait, I'll pick it up again…and let me open this envelope randomly quick whilst I dump some other stuff behind me as I turn my back. Then, let’s put this paper in this clip here…
This entire sequence needs to be reworked. A great concept should not have been attempted to be redone. Becker's original routine was fun, colourful and had a great context. This routine is an abortion. Never mind the obvious methodology.
Terrible.

THE SWEET JAR:
Can you say “Lee Earl”? At least credit him somewhere Paul. This routine was interesting. Paul’s use of double-speak in this routine was gold. I really found this one piece to be of value. However, the 3 additional chairs, and then randomly dismissing the other two volunteers, does not work for me. This routine has potential, but Paul’s long soppy story did not work for me. A performer should never have to “ask” for an applause after a long, intimate and emotional story. If they don’t clap, you haven't connected with them buddy.

MY LUCKIEST DAY:
I have quite a lot to say about this routine.
Firstly, the positive points about this routine are that you have a large and visual revelation of your final prediction. This is key to a great ending to a show. I love the large lettering of the final prediction. Strong, visual and an instant moment of astonishment for the audience. I like the idea of the candle too.
Negative points include the re-writing of the information (the audience already have written down the information on slips of paper, why do it again?) The story for the justification for the tray is terrible. Honestly, I’m sure one can think of a better story. I found Paul’s handling of setting up this finale weak. It was obvious to me what was going on and I was not convinced that the audience actually understood what happened. I’m making a judgment based upon their lack of applause.

PSY-CLOCK:
When you end your show with a strong prediction, don’t throw in another disjointed one! We already had a time in our prediction, why do another one? Seriously. PSY-Clock is obvious and unnecessary. It also has the potential to ruin the pace of your show.

CONCLUSION:
I honestly do not care whether you think I’m being fair or not about my review. If you don’t like, deal with it. The effects themselves in this DVD are of value and their plots, context and methodology are worth exploring. I feel that Paul did not connect with his audience because I cannot remember any “wow” moments from the audience. There were way to many prediction effects from what the DVD describes as a “full 55 minute stand-up show”. The effects are badly routined and drag horribly. The credits on this DVD are poor, Paul claims that he has heard of certain effects, but cannot remember who it was. I’ll help you guys out here, so Paul and Peter next time take a few moments to credit the people as best you can. (Granted there is a SMALL thank-you to Ted Lesley)
LUKE JERMAY,LEE EARL,TED LESELY,LARRY BECKER.

I do respect PAUL for releasing this DVD to the Mentalism fraternity. It has nice packaging.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1096 Posts

Profile of rasp
Came so close to buying this, you just saved me some cash. Sounds like it is not my style, thanks for the honest review.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
mentalmagic101
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of mentalmagic101
I went to see perform early this year.
He started with the chair routine. I must admit I was always unsure if that was the way to start a show.
However it was amazing ! What he doesn't share with us on the DVD is all the little extra bits he uses in this routine.

Paul is one of the busiest stage entertainers in the U.K and after seeing his performance I can see why.
This DVD is a real treat for any real workers out there and Paul has given away some real gems of his stage show.

This is not for everybody but in my book as a busy worker myself this is one of the best stage amd stand up mentalism DVD's on the market.

Some comments on here suggest that Paul had little connection with the audiance.

Please Please Please remember that this was not a real paying audiance, they were there to watch a recording of a lecture DVD not a full on stage show.

I am hoping Paul will comment himself, however I am aware that he is away allot and wont be following this.

I know many guys that are hoping no more of these dvd's are sold as they have already put more than one of these routines in their professional sets.

I feel a little the same.

This is exellent worker material for a certain type of entertainer.

Just go buy it.
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
I have been involved in the entertainment industry from a young age.

So I have witnessed many polarized opinions on many diverse subjects.

I have learned to respect all, good and bad.

We are all individuals with many likes and dislikes.

So your comments say more about you than me. My material does not work for everyone and their own performing style and beliefs .

However it has provided me with a very successful career. I am the only U.K mentalist that specializes in Stand up and stage performance only.

Last year I perform 190 stage show, with many of the routines on my DVD being utilized in one form or another. 80% of these show where recommendations and return booking.

I am proud of my work and that it is highly commercial. My gross takings and number of shows last year speak for themselves.

I have used all of the routines in my professional shows over the last 10 or so years, and still use many in my shows today. However I have never used them all together and probably never would.

The DVD is simply a selection of my work performed in an artificial situation.
If you like it have fun with it and I hope you have as much success with the routines as I have.

If you don’t then I wish you great success with your chosen route.

The reviews for my DVD Connected from the professional world have been wonderful and I am truly humbled by the hundreds of emails I have received from some of my biggest idols.

Remember our comments good or bad say more about us than who we are commenting on.

NEWS JUST IN

Brought to you by The Wonderful Alakazam Magic

My new effect “The Impossible Envelope” to be released soon.
We are filming next month and production will be underway soon after.

This is a totally new utility device that can be used for a multitude of effects for stage and stand up performers.

Visit the members area of my web site for more details.

http://www.paulstockman.com

Paul Stockman
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2010-05-15 10:22, Stockman wrote:
I am the only U.K mentalist that specializes in Stand up and stage performance only.

I'm not disputing that Paul is an extremely successful performer, but the ONLY full time stage mentalist in the country? Surely Derren Brown doesn't do much table hopping to supplement his income? Then there's Graham Jolley, Marc Paul, Mel Mellers, John Archer ... etc
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
All of these guys perform close up too apart from Derren and John.
mentalmagic101
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of mentalmagic101
Actually Paul John Archer does close up too.
Look on his website he does table magic too.

Sorry

MM
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
And Derren spent his early years and until recently performing walk around and close up magic.

Recently being the last 10 years or so.
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Hi Paul, thanks for your comments, much appreciated. Like I said, I respect you for releasing this to the Mentalist community. I don't think the argument of saying that the effects were filmed for an artificial audience works for me. I would love to see the effects performed for a real audience then, that would be great in my mind. I have no doubt that the effects work for you. Thanks again. ORAL>
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
Remember the audience have sat through rehearsals and witness the effects a number of times in most cases for DVD’s of this nature.

If I was selling my performance or a DVD for entertainment value only, then as you say a real live show to a real audience would be so much more fun.

This was not a promo for Paul Stockman or my actual live show , but purely examples of my effects and deceptions in their most basic form.

I did not elaborate or expand as I would in a live show, nor did I reveal all of the secrets of each effect.

This DVD was directed at the Stage workers who would take my basic principles and run with them.

All of the effects on the DVD are proven and commercial, prove of that are the many many people who have already included them in there act.

I will PM you my thoughts my friend.

Regards

Paul Stockman
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1428 Posts

Profile of Jared
Just to add one more opinion about the merits of this DVD...I enjoyed 'Connected' and found a few gems that I plan to consider adding to my own show. The three effects were: 'The Sweet Jar', 'My Luckiest Day', and 'Psyclock'.

After reading Oral's commnets I agree with much of what he said.

The Sweet Jar- I didn't care for the story line itself but the method was excellent and has real word merit. I will not use the 'X's (going from memory) to eliminate the other two participants because it seemed a tad of negative.

My Luckiest Day- This was my favorite routine by a wide margin. Brilliant method and never saw it coming... As Oral suggested, I wouldn't bother rewriting the spectator's thoughts. I would alter the story line to suit my own personality, but well done Paul!

Psyclock- I recently purchased this from Alakazam and had a rough transaction to say the least. Firstly, the CD-Rom was missing the instructions and there was a problem with electronics. Thanks to a friend who is competent in electronics he was able to repair the clock and now it works as good as new. However, I was not exactly thrilled with the response from Alakazam's U.K. team. Michael Rappa the representative from Alakazam USA was responsive and genuinely helpful...Anyway, I digress. IMO this effect will play stronger if you reveal the prediction the moment the spectator blows the whistle. People will be peaked emotionally because of the whistle blowing. Psyclock will offer a nice change of pace compared to Osterlind's Watch Routine for bookings with repeat audiences. Good stuff.

~Jared
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
Thanks Jared,

In my real work on My Luckiest Day I record the answers to the 3 questions onto a large easel.
That way it remains in the heads of the audience throughout the show.
This makes the reveal all the more amazing !

I do use the 2 other volunteers for other things in my stage show but didn't want to add this to my DVD.

So your comments are more than fair.

I am sorry about the service you got reference the problems with the clock.
If you came back to me I would have sorted this for you.

However I am pleased you are using it now.
There are a number of different routines I use in my live work using the clock.
The work on the DVD was an after thought as we never intended to use it in the recording.

I have to admit using 3 routines from one DVD is something I have never come close to doing so I am delighted you have found some much you can use.

All releases carry a certain amount of filler material. Some more than others and I have yet to buy a C.D of music or a dvd of magic that breaks this rule.

Thanks again for your comments,

Regards
Paul
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
For me, there is nothing wrong with this DVD, I watched the routine on the DVD, I enjoyed what Paul did on his DVD, and some effect inspiring me for my performance.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1428 Posts

Profile of Jared
Paul, thank you for replying to my comments. I understand that much of your act differs compared to the presentations on the DVD. Nevertheless, your methods and thinking are brilliant. I cannot imagine a fellow mentalist not gaining something worthwhile from your very creative body of work.

Do you think that you might eventually offer a manuscript about other uses for Psyclock? It would be great if you could share several ideas even if your explanations are bare-bones.

FYI- I did contact you about the clock through email and you responded immediately. Your suggestion was simply to exchange it with Alakazam. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to know how to handle it. I think that it would have been nice if they at least offered me a discount towards a future purchase since I handled everything from my side. Anyway, you were great Smile

Jared
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
Jared,

You comments are so very kind and I thank you for them.

We are considering putting out a booklet on Psyclock ideas and routines. But it would not be until next year.
However if and when I do, you will have a copy free of charge directly from myself.

Before I ever started working with Peter at Alakazam I always purchased my products from them, because I found the service world class and soooo much more professional and prompt than any other supplier.

I have no idea why this transaction and the subsequent follow up enquiries did not run as smoothly as they should have, however I have huge faith in Peter and his team and can only apologies on their behalf for this indiscretion.

Although this is no excuse I am aware that they have been unbelievable busy over this year and I am sure its an unfortunate one off.

If I can be of any further assistance to you please don't hesitate to be in touch.
"The Impossible Envelope will be released later in the summer and I am sure there maybe a little something in the post for you when it is released.

Take care my friend and thank you again.

Best wishes and good luck

Paul Stockman
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I performed the Pendant Curse at a large show this last weekend. It went well and the reaction was fantastic. I talked to many of the audience after the show and it was the thing they remembered. They all commented on how good the story was and how well it built up to the climax. I made modifications to fit my style but, it was basically what was on the DVD.

Thanks, Paul
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
Tgplano,

Hi my friend, your,s is a story I have heard from many stage performers when it come to my Pendant Curse.
I thank you for your comments, and its great to hear you are having success with it.

Kenton Knepper saw me perform this in Las Vegas many years ago and put in straight into his own stage show.He now performs it in front of hundreds of people on a regular basis.

I myself have performed it in my theatre shows for a thousand people. It always gets a wonderful reaction and like in your show many people seem to talk about this in particular.

I wish you continuing success with it and your show.

I look forward to getting to see you perform it one day.

Best wishes and kind regards

Paul Stockman.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Paul,

Thanks for your kind remarks. Perhaps at MindVention.

Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
Ted,

You will certainly see me perform some things from my DVD, so we can exchange ideas and improvements I am sure.

I will also be debuting my Impossible Envelope at Minvention and I know you will love it.

Looking forward to meeting you Ted.

Take care my friend and see you soon.

Regards

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » PAUL STOCKMAN - CONNECTED DVD (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL