The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Street Hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It takes very little skill to hypnotise. If what you said were true then we would see good videos of skilled street hypnotists. They simply do not exist. Show me just one? There are NONE.

In order to hypnotise someone in a street it takes a bit of adaption. But it is no more skilled than any other form of hypnosis.

Sure stage hypnosis with large crowds means trance subjects are everywhere but you need to know how to control those large numbers....including hecklers. It takes aditional adaption that no street hypnotist will have. A good stage hypnotist should they fall and damage their brain and wish to go on the streets could easily. But why wouyld they want to? Street hypnosis is an amatuer hobby. And they are badly trained if trained at all.

As for therapy you are wrong again Hypnotherapy is more than putting someone in trance and giving them suggestions. Trance induction is more than a formal induction. I can understand from where you are at your level of understanding that is your reality. But it isn't reality. There are many theraputic techniques that use trance to make changes without it being obvious whats happening....They are much more effective than giving suggestions that are really only good for reinforcement.
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Sean Andrews does street hypno as does Reg Blackwood. James Brown does impromptu hypnosis. The latter has videos on here. The others are on you tube.

You stated that hypnosis shows were killed off in the 90's by roving hypnotist who had learned stuff from books etc - surely the decline of ALL theatre and the move to technology had something to do with it.

I would like to see some of your footage as without it you just appear as hot air

bubble
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Bubble,

you can see mindpunishers work on his youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shrinkHypnoticShow

Enjoy.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Impromptu, roving, walkaround or street hypnosis isn't just an amateur pursuit.
I do it professionally, as well as stage and clinical work and yes, I train others too.
I'm sure at one time, there were plenty of crusty old magicians sitting around saying how "wrong" it was of David Blaine to perform magic on the street.
Now there is at least one section of this forum dedicated to street magic.
To say it degrades the art somehow is just plain wrong.
There are plenty of bad hypnotists out there, be it stage, street or clinic, but the cream will always rise to the top.
Sure, if a bad magician performs after spending money on bought tricks, he might just give away some secret or other. If a poor practitioner of hypnosis performs unsafely, the consequences can be more serious.
Unfortunately there are some horror stories in our industry, just like any other industry but regulation of hypnosis or hypnosis training doesn't prevent these happening.
I know many hypnotists with virtually identical training to me who are just plain bad at it.
If you have a solution MindPunisher, there are plenty of us out here willing to listen to your ideas.
Reg Blackwood
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I don't have any solutions. I just voice my opinion. I just think the whole idea is naff. And that for the majority the motivations for street impromtu hypnosis is more about getting a buzz from doing it rather than entertaining an audience. Or even learning hypnosis in any depth.

Magic in the street works I don't think hypnosis does. Again my opinion.

One of the things that does concern me is that the more that are encouraged to give it ago with little or no training then statistically the chances increase for a mishap and media attention. If that happens then it will affect all of us in the industry. (esp in the UK)

But these are my opinions. I hope it never happens.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I agree about the majority and their motivations, but again you could be describing magic or even stand-up comedy for that matter. I remember being amazed 20 years ago to discover in London, a whole "open mic" sub-circuit of comics, poets and performers who never even dreamed of getting paid for what they did. I imagine some of them are still doing the same even now.
With hypnosis, for that majority though, I do feel it's more of a passing fad.
I've already seen a number of magicians who've learned hypnosis through material specifically marketed at them and they have either never used it beyond the classroom, or have already given it up, maybe in favour of something with a more certain outcome.
I'll also reluctantly agree and say yes, it is beginning to look a bit naff over there in the UK, isn't it? I see a lot of "performing" for someone holding a camera, a bunch of other amateur hypnotists and virtually nobody else. I'd like to ask: Where's the entertainment? Where's the audience? And don't say Youtube. Please just do us all a favour and just video yourself making model aeroplanes.
I definitely share the same concerns for mishaps and media attention too MP, but unfortunately, I don't have solutions either.
I'll continue however to voice my concerns about safety on this and other forums and encourage others like you to do the same, in the hope that neither of us will ever have to say "told you so."
Congrats on the fringe show by the way. Great venue you've got yourself into. I'm sure you'll have a ball.
Reg
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Yes Im sure I will have a ball...thanks..
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2010-06-29 16:19, quicknotist wrote:

... it is beginning to look a bit naff over there in the UK, isn't it? I see a lot of "performing" for someone holding a camera, a bunch of other amateur hypnotists and virtually nobody else.

Ouch! Steady on Reg, I think that's also happening where you are also. I've even watched some rather fairly big names from The US of A doing street stuff exactly as you described.
What we need is an annual convention, perhaps called 'Across The Pond', where we all meet up for a week and do street magic. The venue changes acroos the Atlantic each year rather like The Ryder Cup.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
So long as you keep away from here...~have yer Naff fest as far away as possible. Why stick to streets really be cool and acost victims in dark allyways or in toilets. Seems about right.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
..... yeah was wondering how long it would take you to start up that toilet talk again. Let it go man, just let it go!!!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I can't sometimes I have to push...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Street Hypnosis (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL